News   Mar 28, 2024
 327     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 339     0 

Ottawa Transit Developments

1673036723322.png

1673040269606.png

Last edited:
My goodness and I thought the decrepit 35+ year old SRT in Toronto running on it's last legs was bad, Ottawa's LRT is making the SRT look like a joyful experience. And that's a really hard thing to do.
To be fair the last 5 months there has been very little issue its been running really good.Even that bad snow storm a few weeks ago it ran fine even with many systems around Ontario shut down or was running a limited schedule.

I visited the scene of the crime between Tremblay and Lees on Saturday around 5:00pm and Sunday around 1:00pm. In both instances there were only 6 workers present on the line, 3 crews of 2. Of those 6 workers only 2 were in buckets and physically working on the overhead line. Another 2 were the operators of the respective boom trucks. The last 2 were at track level, seemed to be Alston techs. The 2 workers who were actually touching the line (ie. doing actual repairs)were running their hands along the lines looking for burrs and filing them down. A time consuming process for sure and something that more man/person power would’ve obviously sped up. They were also checking and adjusting the bolts of the dropper wire, the wire between the messenger wire and contact wire. Boggles the mind that 2 people doing actual repairs to the catenary is the level response that was mustered. I suspect that RTM/RTG are not getting penalized that much as they are likely able to claim that the yare delivering ~60% of planned service since the rest of the line is operational. This of course would not drag the monthly average vehicle kilometres travelled/delivered down all that much. (I forget the actual name of the metric they are measured on).

I visited the scene of the crime between Tremblay and Lees on Saturday around 5:00pm and Sunday around 1:00pm. In both instances there were only 6 workers present on the line, 3 crews of 2. Of those 6 workers only 2 were in buckets and physically working on the overhead line. Another 2 were the operators of the respective boom trucks. The last 2 were at track level, seemed to be Alston techs. The 2 workers who were actually touching the line (ie. doing actual repairs)were running their hands along the lines looking for burrs and filing them down. A time consuming process for sure and something that more man/person power would’ve obviously sped up. They were also checking and adjusting the bolts of the dropper wire, the wire between the messenger wire and contact wire. Boggles the mind that 2 people doing actual repairs to the catenary is the level response that was mustered. I suspect that RTM/RTG are not getting penalized that much as they are likely able to claim that the yare delivering ~60% of planned service since the rest of the line is operational. This of course would not drag the monthly average vehicle kilometres travelled/delivered down all that much. (I forget the actual name of the metric they are measured on).
I don't know why but most of the issues seem to be on this one small area on the east end.

City of Ottawa and Rideau Transit Group announce agreement to resolve ongoing disputes, reset relationship and a plan to move forward to deliver safe and reliable train service to the people of Ottawa

Published on
January 27, 2023

The City of Ottawa and Rideau Transit Group (RTG) are pleased to have reached a settlement that resolves several issues between them and resets their relationship to focus on the delivery of safe and reliable transit service to the people of Ottawa. Through this agreement, the City and RTG will continue to move forward with the goal of improved collaboration and partnership as recommended in the OLRT Public Inquiry Commission Report.

The settlement agreement:

• Resolves the Notice of Default that arose following the August 8 and September 19, 2021 derailments through RTG’s acknowledgement of the Default and the City’s confirmation of the immediate cure based on RTG’s rigorous plan to address the issues that led to the derailments and come to a sustainable resolution of the axle bearing assembly issue. The City acknowledges the work RTG has done and will continue to do to ensure the people of Ottawa receive safe and reliable service on O-Train Line 1 and will continue to monitor RTG’s progress.
  • RTG is committed to achieving a sustainable resolution of these issues for all O-Train Line 1 light rail vehicles before the opening of the Stage 2 East extension. In addition, RTG has and will continue to implement various interim mitigation measures to ensure the reliability of O-Train Line 1.
  • The City and RTG have also settled several disputes concerning RTG’s performance during the maintenance phase and the City’s administration of the contract during the maintenance phase.
The City and RTG have been working collaboratively and cooperatively together for many months on the development of a rigorous Implementation Plan and resolution of both the Default and maintenance disputes. This collaborative work began prior to the release of the Commission Report. The settlement demonstrates both parties’ acknowledgement of the importance of cooperation, which the Commission Report urged, and demonstrates both parties’ ongoing commitment to the public interest in delivering safe and reliable train service on O-Train Line 1.

This agreement builds on the work already done to improve the system and reflects a number of recommendations from the Commission Report.

Last edited:

Back