News   Jul 26, 2024
 649     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Ossington

Hardware store at 172 Ossington Ave is proposed to become "IDK Social Bar". Some commentary from a local resident rep:
The irony of it all is that Ossington could use something akin to a proper club. Also, those horrible townhomes should have never been allowed. Not only do they kill the streetwall, but they are also ugly and filled with NIMBYs.

The irony of it all is that Ossington could use something akin to a proper club. Also, those horrible townhomes should have never been allowed. Not only do they kill the streetwall, but they are also ugly and filled with NIMBYs.
To be fair though, I think those were built before Ossington developed the vibrant scene that it's known for, and was just a crummy dump at the time.

I'm a bit confused by the vitriol locals are throwing at this new bar - the street is already lined with them, and the strip gets very crowded at night on weekends, especially in summer, for many years now. This is just more of the same, so what's the deal?

I'm not commenting here on the fairness; but beyond generic Nimby stuff, I gather:

The fact that the application puts commercial 'resto?' space on the second floor above grade is getting attention. (applicant says this will be a private dining area)

The fact the community didn't get notice and CofA is no longer appealable has some people's shorts in a knot.

There is some cumulative concern around the existing strip's busy-ness on weekends w/parking/traffic/noise and litter being noted as concerns.

Finally, there is strong suspicion by some that this is more club than resto, and there is an expressed worry that this may be a precedent and that the much diminished club land of downtown west (nee Entertainment District) will now shift west and reappear on Ossington.

I'm not commenting here on the fairness; but beyond generic Nimby stuff, I gather:

The fact that the application puts commercial 'resto?' space on the second floor above grade is getting attention. (applicant says this will be a private dining area)

The fact the community didn't get notice and CofA is no longer appealable has some people's shorts in a knot.

There is some cumulative concern around the existing strip's busy-ness on weekends w/parking/traffic/noise and litter being noted as concerns.

Finally, there is strong suspicion by some that this is more club than resto, and there is an expressed worry that this may be a precedent and that the much diminished club land of downtown west (nee Entertainment District) will now shift west and reappear on Ossington.
The busy Ossington strip is only the short distance between Queen and Dundas, and I can't imagine there's much existing built form that could accommodate an influx of clubs much beyond what already exists as the street is lined with small scale heritage buildings. I could be wrong of course, but I suspect the local's fear that Clubland will take hold here is likely exaggerated.

IMG_3680.jpeg
A few snaps on my morning jaunt down Ossington. The last few images are funny as I asked a guy working there what was going on there and he said a little bicycle repair shop. I beg to differ! lol Taken 14 June.

IMG_3681.jpeg
IMG_3682.jpeg
IMG_3685.jpeg
IMG_3686.jpeg
IMG_3700.jpeg
IMG_3702.jpeg
IMG_3704.jpeg
IMG_3705.jpeg
IMG_3706.jpeg
IMG_3707.jpeg
IMG_3708.jpeg
IMG_3711.jpeg
IMG_3713.jpeg
IMG_3714.jpeg

Part 2: So the evolution of Ossington from a strip into a district continues with spaces emerging along Herbert going west from Ossington. Even a few secret restaurants! Also the houses on either side of Ossington are getting the full treatment. Soon those in the know will distinguish between ‘on Ossington’ and ‘off Ossington’ with the latter being cooler.

IMG_3715.jpeg

IMG_3716.jpeg
IMG_3717.jpeg
IMG_3718.jpeg
IMG_3719.jpeg
IMG_3720.jpeg
IMG_3720.jpeg
IMG_3721.jpeg
IMG_3722.jpeg
IMG_3723.jpeg
IMG_3725.jpeg
IMG_3727.jpeg