News   May 06, 2024
 372     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 724     0 

Options Upgrades (caution: scary stories)

In my opinion, the only upgrades should be done from day 1 are:

1. smooth ceiling (save the entire unit from dust)
2. laminate or pre-engineered hardwood in bedrooms (for the sake of uniform colour matching wood floors in other areas)

For pot light in living room, is it true that builder needs to drill holes in concrete for pot light installation? Isn't there a dry wall layer in the ceiling?

And is it a good idea to have laminate or pre-engineered hardwood floor installed for open kitchen?

For pot light in living room, is it true that builder needs to drill holes in concrete for pot light installation? Isn't there a dry wall layer in the ceiling?

Most condos do not have a drywall ceiling. There are sometimes various floors have them for one reason or other (the penthouse typically has a drop ceiliing) but for the vast majority of them the ceiliing is concrete. I wouldn't be surprised if there are pot lights on the market for using in a new concrete build, but I'm not seen them personally and they will be EXPENSIVE. It's fairly safe to say that you cannot get pot lights in most condos.

And is it a good idea to have laminate or pre-engineered hardwood floor installed for open kitchen?

It might not be a good idea. Kitchen floors should have ceramic, porcelain or stone tiles. Kitchen floors might get wet often from spills and such. Having wood there is asking for trouble. Water damages wood.

It might not be a good idea. Kitchen floors should have ceramic, porcelain or stone tiles. Kitchen floors might get wet often from spills and such. Having wood there is asking for trouble. Water damages wood.

As long as you're moderately neat and the wood is sealed (as it should be), then having wood in the kitchen is no big deal - i've never had a problem. People spill drinks in the living room all the time, and most, if not all condo's downtown are open concept and having a different floor - especially something as different as tile - breaks up the look of the entire unit and shrinks it. Unless your unit is more than 1000 ft, I'd keep the flooring uniform everywhere (with the exception of a bathroom where tiles are better - unless the unit's uniform floor is sealed concrete, in which case leave it concrete).

^^ agreed. i have the wood in my kitchen for years and years and haven't had any problems. the continuity makes the open concept space look bigger and better.

It's fairly safe to say that you cannot get pot lights in most condos.

Recessed lights are usually deeper than the slab is thick. I've never seen recessed lights mounted into a slab. Most builders who offer them install them in a bulkhead.

Thank you guys, you guys have answered all my questions!

Btw, sealed wood means wax the floor?

I can't imagine there's any hardwood or laminate that's not sealed nowadays. It doesn't mean waxed. If something spills, clean it up right away (which is something you would do anyway I hope;)

Upgrade costs vary significantly with the developer. Some can be quite reasonable and others can be outrageous.

Over time, I've noted that when people purchase upgrades such as granite for the kitchen or slate for bathrooms, they are never told that you have to seal these - particularly the slate. When I requested that this be done, I was told that the charge would be $400. Obviously I did it myself for a fraction of the cost. But just as a comparison, I had the concrete floors in my place polished and sealed for about $400 - by an outside contractor - and developer market it up by about $300. Either way, it was far cheaper than any of the hardwood upgrades being offered.

$400 to seal and polish the concrete floors? Thats a pretty good price anyone know a contractor that can do this type of work?

Back