News   May 24, 2024
 9.1K     2 
News   May 24, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   May 24, 2024
 492     0 

Options Upgrades (caution: scary stories)

Granny

Member Bio
Reaction score
It seems everyone out there who has ever bought a new condo, or has friends that did, has a story to to tell you about the blatant ripping off that is going on.

Example: (and I got lots more)

Granite counter going into the kitchen. I know. So what's new.
I was asked this question while picking the counter of my choice. "Would you like the sink to be mounted under the counter?"
For those of you who are not familiar with this stuff, let me assure you that this really is the ONLY way a sink should be mounted to a granite counter, although you can do it the other way. It certainly is easier for the installer(as long as he concentrates between bouts of laughter).

Cost of an undercounter mount? $850.00 ...really

For those of you who are not familiar with this stuff, let me assure you that this really is the ONLY way a sink should be mounted to a granite counter,
May I ask why? It always looked "wrong" to me to have, basically, a hole with a metal bowl sitting underneath. I've seen many model suites and that is something that always bothers me. The hole makes me think of stuff like garbage cans and... outhouses.

Of course that pales in comparison to the "vessel sink". Seriously, you have a bowl glued to your countertop and you think that's classy?

My favorite style is the one where the countertop and sink are one piece, with no breaks at all. But try getting that in granite...

yeah, sinks, and their contents are generally an eye sore, especially after a few years of wear. Also, if undermounted, I'd assume the sink would be deeper as well, so a full sink would be less seen.

That said, I'd definitely NOT spend $850. Instead, I'd request they not install the sink at all. Then higher a subcontractor myself to install it at a fraction of the cost.

Granny,

Do you have any other upgrade "charges" that you can share with us? e.g. upgrading to stainless steel, different backsplash, etc.

Are you opting for any upgrades?

Granny,

Do you have any other upgrade "charges" that you can share with us? e.g. upgrading to stainless steel, different backsplash, etc.

Are you opting for any upgrades?

Just came from the 'Casa' thread. Yikes!
There is some pissed off people over there who are pricing their upgrades and justly so.
Sounds like their builder is treating those buyers like it's open season on pigeon hunting.
Reading their unbelievable stories makes me feel almost embarrased complaining.

Upgrade costs vary significantly with the developer. Some can be quite reasonable and others can be outrageous.

Over time, I've noted that when people purchase upgrades such as granite for the kitchen or slate for bathrooms, they are never told that you have to seal these - particularly the slate. When I requested that this be done, I was told that the charge would be $400. Obviously I did it myself for a fraction of the cost. But just as a comparison, I had the concrete floors in my place polished and sealed for about $400 - by an outside contractor - and developer market it up by about $300. Either way, it was far cheaper than any of the hardwood upgrades being offered.

Upgrade costs vary significantly with the developer. Some can be quite reasonable and others can be outrageous.

Over time, I've noted that when people purchase upgrades such as granite for the kitchen or slate for bathrooms, they are never told that you have to seal these - particularly the slate. When I requested that this be done, I was told that the charge would be $400. Obviously I did it myself for a fraction of the cost. But just as a comparison, I had the concrete floors in my place polished and sealed for about $400 - by an outside contractor - and developer market it up by about $300. Either way, it was far cheaper than any of the hardwood upgrades being offered.

Granite Sealing ..$400.00??

Home Depot. Spray can. About 10 bucks. Approx. three applications over a couple of hours with some rubbing in. ..or.. call me and I'll do it for you. I charge 110.00 plus you have to keep the martinis coming.

I have always wondered about buying basically a shell and then working with a trusted designer and contractor to put in stuff that I really wanted. Has anyone had any experience with this? Is this possbile and is it cost-effective?

I have always wondered about buying basically a shell and then working with a trusted designer and contractor to put in stuff that I really wanted. Has anyone had any experience with this? Is this possbile and is it cost-effective?

What a great idea. That would certainly been the way I would have gone if given the choice. I imagine the problems would arise in the fundamentals. Its a building made up of concrete all over the place, floors, walls, ceiling. It's not a house built of 2x4's. Wiring and plumbing could really constrict what you can and cannot do. Still, as long as you went into it knowing what your parameters were.. maybe it just might work.

Granite Sealing ..$400.00??

Home Depot. Spray can. About 10 bucks. Approx. three applications over a couple of hours with some rubbing in. ..or.. call me and I'll do it for you. I charge 110.00 plus you have to keep the martinis coming.

I did it myself.

Seems I've saved on martini costs, too. ;)

Nevertheless, thanks for the kind offer.

I am surprised that a builder would charge for an undermount sink. The last 2 places I have lived in both had that as a standard feature. That being said, there are lots of things builders charge for that seem ridiculous. Even getting things NOT BUILT will sometimes cost you money.

This is actually quite common in Europe, where you can buy the basic the construction and you do the interior yourself.

Why do you think developers try to avoid selling the upgrades at time of purchase but do this later, usually sending you to some design centre. You've already purchased and thus now have 0 leverage.

Back