News   May 24, 2024
 8.9K     2 
News   May 24, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   May 24, 2024
 487     0 

Options Upgrades (caution: scary stories)

The units come standard with popcorn/stucco ceilings. To have them upgrade it to smooth ceilings would be $4.25 per sq. ft. Isn't that a little high??

It is indeed high but, unfortunately, standard. I paid close to $2,000 to smooth out the ceilings in my entire 2-bedroom unit. The reason they say it's so pricey is because it takes a LOT longer for the construction crew/workers to smooth out that concrete ceiling perfectly than it would to just spray it over with the icky popcorn stuff. It's the man hours you're supposedly paying for. I hope *I* won't regret it when I get into my place, but I have high ceilings and didn't want to muck them up with the stucco. I'm not a fan.

Oh, and it's a VERY messy, very persnickity job for you to do afterward. The ceiling underneath your stucco is not perfectly smooth, so your job is not over just when you remove the stuff.

I know one friend who just got a "shell" of a place, and built it from the ground up. I don't think most builders will allow this, as they have to warrantee what they do, and if they don't install a kitchen, then this interferes with the warrantee for the water pipes etc.

I'm not sure, but I also believe the city requires a functioning kitchen and bathroom area.

I'd also love to buy a shell and to complete it in the manner I'd like. There are so many things that I would do differently than what is typically found in units coming onto the market today.

For one thing, I'd soundproof the place more effectively. I find that only the minimum is done by a majority of developers.

I purchased almost $20,000 in upgrades. Much of that went to a nice walk-in shower, somewhat better granite and backsplash (which is really all just for show), and some very good quality, energy-efficient appliances. Needless to say, there were all sorts of minor deficiencies, and my nice fridge was quite injured by the people who had their way with my unit before I moved in.

It is indeed high but, unfortunately, standard. I paid close to $2,000 to smooth out the ceilings in my entire 2-bedroom unit. The reason they say it's so pricey is because it takes a LOT longer for the construction crew/workers to smooth out that concrete ceiling perfectly than it would to just spray it over with the icky popcorn stuff. It's the man hours you're supposedly paying for. I hope *I* won't regret it when I get into my place, but I have high ceilings and didn't want to muck them up with the stucco. I'm not a fan.

Oh, and it's a VERY messy, very persnickity job for you to do afterward. The ceiling underneath your stucco is not perfectly smooth, so your job is not over just when you remove the stuff.

I paid approx. $1900 to have smooth ceilings installed in my 710sq ft unit. I've yet to move in, so I'm not sure of the quality, but I knew this was a job I did not want to contend with after the fact.

Kristina

If it's just man hours they're charging for for the ceiling, I'm sure you could just get a private contractor in to do it couldn't you? Should save at least a little money one would think.

Money vs. hassle is all relative. I'd want to know how much I was saving versus the time/hassle of tarping my whole place after I'd moved in and dealing with the mess (which I'm told is substantial). That said, if it saved me $1,000, I would have strongly considered it.

hardwood floors in bedrooms

My 1+den condo has pre-engineered hardwood floor throughout except for the bedroom (40oz carpet). I've been thinking of upgrading this carpet to pre-eng hardwood to get that flow with the rest of the unit. I'm thinking of staying in this condo for about two years and than sell it and get a bigger place.

Questions for current/future condo owners:
Do you think it's worth it to pay extra money for pre-eng hardwood in the bedroom? Would I get this money back or perhaps lose some since there are people who like stepping on the carpet when getting out of the bed in the morning? Is it I guess a good investment?

Could someone please tell me approx how much an upgrade like this would cost in a new condo?

You probably won't see any money back. I think many people still enjoy the feeling of carpet in bedrooms.

My 1+den condo has pre-engineered hardwood floor throughout except for the bedroom (40oz carpet). I've been thinking of upgrading this carpet to pre-eng hardwood to get that flow with the rest of the unit. I'm thinking of staying in this condo for about two years and than sell it and get a bigger place.

Do you think it's worth it to pay extra money for pre-eng hardwood in the bedroom? Would I get this money back or perhaps lose some since there are people who like stepping on the carpet when getting out of the bed in the morning? Is it I guess a good investment?

Could someone please tell me approx how much an upgrade like this would cost in a new condo?

when I signed the offer for my unit, I asked if they would throw putting the hardwood in the bedrooms for free, they said yes which was nice, but I think I would have done this upgrade for sure. Not a fan of carpet in the bedrooms.

I opted to upgrade to hardwood floors in the den and master bedroom. I believe it cost me +/- $1,400 for a 10' x 11.5' room. My decision was based purely on my preferences as I plan to live there for some time.

But to answer your "good investment" question, I think it is.. as it's easy to have potential buyers visualize adding a nice rug to a room then it is to rip out the carpet and install hardwood.

while I like hardwood in general.... for the bedrooms as long as it is a good quality carpet the builder is using, I personally would take carpet where I sleep so that I can wake up to warm soft feeling floors

when I signed the offer for my unit, I asked if they would throw putting the hardwood in the bedrooms for free, they said yes which was nice, but I think I would have done this upgrade for sure. Not a fan of carpet in the bedrooms.

I should have done the same thing but... I'm probably gonna upgrade to hardwood in the bedroom...

thank you all for sharing your opinions...

engineered hardwood vs laminate

hi all, looking for your opinions.

The standard flooring that comes with the unit is laminate, and I'm considering upgrading to engineered hardwood @ cost of ~$5 SF from the builder. The flooring material (lam and hardwood) are made by Tarkett.

Anyone know the quality of Tarkett, reviews, etc?

Which would be better - lam or engineered wood?

Thanks.

hi all, looking for your opinions.

The standard flooring that comes with the unit is laminate, and I'm considering upgrading to engineered hardwood @ cost of ~$5 SF from the builder. The flooring material (lam and hardwood) are made by Tarkett.

Anyone know the quality of Tarkett, reviews, etc?

Which would be better - lam or engineered wood?

Thanks.

Wow. I didn't think any builder out there would offer a laminate as standard. Another cost saving measure, no doubt. Bet it looks like shit too. It's not that the builder's design people have bad taste. They do it on purpose. Now the builder gets to stick it it to you with the optional 'upgrade' and save himself the cost of putting in the floor at his cost. Now he makes more money off you.
There are some really impressive ( and tough wearing) laminates out there, but , A. They aint that cheap. and B. Personally, I think they still look like...laminate. The engineered hardwood is ..wood, albeit a thin veneer of it over a particle type board base. (The thicker the veneer is the more expensive it is.
Good luck on that call. Just reconcile youself to the fact your screwed with whatever choice you make. Which offers the least pain and aggravation in relation to your budget?

surely Pre-Engineered Hardwood is nicer / and more expensive than Laminate, no comparison

unfortunately I get laminate in my condo too (not uncommon nowadays), but I saw some nice laminate samples that my builder is offering and for that reason, I do not intend to upgrade (and save some $$) ... important thing is the laminates contain 1 strip per plank such that that are creases between each plank on the floor (rather than 3 strip per plank which looks really fake), and it would be better if your builder offers the type of laminate floor that has the artificial wood grain etched in

if you really want to upgrade ... I suppose you need to answer the question whether this will be you long term home, if 'no' then don't spend you money on this upgrade ... you can deal with laminate (and hopefully they give you nice laminate flooring)

Wow. I didn't think any builder out there would offer a laminate as standard. Another cost saving measure, no doubt.

Actually, I would say a vast majority of the mid-range condos all offer laminate as standard, with the option to upgrade to hardword. Of course, they try to make laminate sound a lot better, they call it "gleaming" laminate, or some such. But, in my place, I paid the extra to upgrade to hardwood throughout (two bedrooms too - the standard carpet was crap, and since I was upgrading anyway, I decided to go for what I REALLY wanted.)
I plan to live in the unit a long time and it was an important upgrade for me.

Back