News   May 01, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   May 01, 2024
 345     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 360     0 

Ontario Northland/Northern Ontario Transportation

If you are the lessee, aren't you responsible for maintenance anyway? The lease market might be a little tight right now,. They look to be the type that secures the cans via a built-in bulkhead, which I don't think are particularly common, and they might want a guaranteed fleet of those to service the undulating roadbed between Cochrane and Moosonee (although I think it does limit them to 40' cans, at least for the upper level.
Isn't there a surplus of well cars? I thought some where in storage?

The challenge with well cars is they cannot be separated. So all 5 cars must load at one location and unload at one location. Sounds like the plan is to use these for service to Moosonee.

The challenge with well cars is they cannot be separated. So all 5 cars must load at one location and unload at one location. Sounds like the plan is to use these for service to Moosonee.
Why is that a problem? It's not like they're being charged additional axle fees for them.

Dan

At least it gets trucks off the road.
If it is for service to Moosonee, there are no trucks....there are no roads...
Why is that a problem? It's not like they're being charged additional axle fees for them.

Dan
Think of it another way, let's say each business along the line would use 2 containers. That would be impractical as not only would you have to find a way to load each of them separate, but you would need to unload each of them separate, and the trail doesn't move.

If it is for service to Moosonee, there are no trucks....there are no roads...

Think of it another way, let's say each business along the line would use 2 containers. That would be impractical as not only would you have to find a way to load each of them separate, but you would need to unload each of them separate, and the trail doesn't move.
There are no businesses "along the way" between Cochrane and Moosonee; it's end-to-end freight service. There might be occasional drops to OPG or the odd log siding, but nothing containerized.

There are no businesses "along the way" between Cochrane and Moosonee; it's end-to-end freight service. There might be occasional drops to OPG or the odd log siding, but nothing containerized.
I know, and that is why there is about the only section that makes sense. Throughout the year they can haul containers there and then offload them. Then when the Ice roads open, they can move them by truck.

There are no other reasons along the route to have 10 container car sets for anywhere else.

I know, and that is why there is about the only section that makes sense. Throughout the year they can haul containers there and then offload them. Then when the Ice roads open, they can move them by truck.

There are no other reasons along the route to have 10 container car sets for anywhere else.
Am I missing something? Is there something about these that means a consist can't just serve intermediate business using conventional wagons, coupled onto one end of these artic wagonsets?

Am I missing something? Is there something about these that means a consist can't just serve intermediate business using conventional wagons, coupled onto one end of these artic wagonsets?
It seems clear to me that ONTC decided there was a business for them. Moosonee is a jump off point for supplies to communities and mining (although there is nothing going on at the moment that I am aware of) up the coast. Perhaps the winter haulage business is shifting to more containerization. It would make sense since a lot of the supplies are building materials and if they sit out until building season, mould and rot gets a head start (a big problem, particularly with drywall). It would also allow the carriers to stockpile cans in Moosonee.

Just a guess.

It seems clear to me that ONTC decided there was a business for them. Moosonee is a jump off point for supplies to communities and mining (although there is nothing going on at the moment that I am aware of) up the coast. Perhaps the winter haulage business is shifting to more containerization. It would make sense since a lot of the supplies are building materials and if they sit out until building season, mould and rot gets a head start (a big problem, particularly with drywall). It would also allow the carriers to stockpile cans in Moosonee.

Just a guess.
That's my thought too. Each container could go to the different communities after getting to Moosonee.

Looks like some new ONTC power is enroute. SD70ms with “notch noses”.

E1091A15-1049-4947-8277-0282347B1E7E.jpeg

Here is a “notch nose” variant from Norfolk Southern:

2A7B4FFC-F53C-43D8-8EEF-802F38A9EF26.jpeg

Back