News   Jul 16, 2024
 241     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 998     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     1 

Ontario Liberals and Transit

Probably the same racists who still support Ford.

I strongly suspect that those Scarberians are not transit users but are mostly drivers who just want their property values to increase.

They only think it is second class because so many politicians (at all levels of government and from various party affiliations) have told them that.
Very True. But we know for 100 percent fact that areas near subways are the most expensive in Toronto. I expect proeprty values to rise if a subway is extended to Scarborough

But... it does currently exist....

What an asinine comment. It's kind of hard to use transit when it doesn't exist. Chicken. Egg.

We should not just beat up on Scarborough (look at the temper tantrum those businesses on Finch west are throwing about the LRT) but this has been a sore point for years out east, and for good reason.

Very True. But we know for 100 percent fact that areas near subways are the most expensive in Toronto. I expect proeprty values to rise if a subway is extended to Scarborough

It is the image of "2nd class" transit/citizenry that I was referring to....I think we get into a whole different discussion if we are going to relate people's class status based on the value of their home.

I wonder, though, if your premise that it is a 100 percent fact that areas near subways become the most expensive in the city. Is that true of the housing at the far ends of any of our lines? Is Kennedy/Eglinton (with a subway, an SRT and a GO station) one of the most expensive areas of the city? Is Dundas and Kipling (subway and GO)? Is Downsview?

Again, I don't want to co-relate "class" with home value but it is not clear to me that your statement is correct.

It is the image of "2nd class" transit/citizenry that I was referring to....I think we get into a whole different discussion if we are going to relate people's class status based on the value of their home.

I wonder, though, if your premise that it is a 100 percent fact that areas near subways become the most expensive in the city. Is that true of the housing at the far ends of any of our lines? Is Kennedy/Eglinton (with a subway, an SRT and a GO station) one of the most expensive areas of the city? Is Dundas and Kipling (subway and GO)? Is Downsview?

Again, I don't want to co-relate "class" with home value but it is not clear to me that your statement is correct.

The next "hot neighourhood": Eglinton & Dufferin

See link.

Too late. The price went up.

So LRT can have the same effect as some think subways do?

It should be noted that the highest priced homes in the city of Toronto have no transit at all.

The central portion of the LRT will be viewed by riders like a subway, except that you will have to wait for 3 or 4 overcrowded LRT trains to go by to get on in rush hour, like the Yonge line.

Having a subway doesn't necessarily mean rich neighbourhood - see Finch/Keele, Lawrence/Allen, Bloor/Lansdowne or everything on Bloor-Danforth east of Woodbine for example. Then again, Toronto housing prices are so outrageous that $500K in bad neighbourhoods is common now.

I'm not relating class status in this instance. I'm saying that subway make places more expensive. Kipling/Bloor/Dundas is just south of the most expensive part of etobicoke. Kennedy/Eglinton, I'll give you that but homes over there are selling for 500k plus now too.

The central portion of the LRT will be viewed by riders like a subway, except that you will have to wait for 3 or 4 overcrowded LRT trains to go by to get on in rush hour, like the Yonge line.

Having a subway doesn't necessarily mean rich neighbourhood - see Finch/Keele, Lawrence/Allen, Bloor/Lansdowne or everything on Bloor-Danforth east of Woodbine for example. Then again, Toronto housing prices are so outrageous that $500K in bad neighbourhoods is common now.
*east of Greenwood, but point taken.

I'm not relating class status in this instance. I'm saying that subway make places more expensive. Kipling/Bloor/Dundas is just south of the most expensive part of etobicoke. Kennedy/Eglinton, I'll give you that but homes over there are selling for 500k plus now too.

Since that puts them below the average house prices in the city....it is unclear that the subway/RT/GO is having much of a positive effect.

Back