News   Jul 16, 2024
 116     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 871     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 995     1 

Ontario Liberals and Transit

When we sat down with him on Monday, Del Duca contradicted himself on these and other matters. On the one hand, he wants to adopt a regional outlook, one free of local turf wars—one that will build what is best for everyone, rather than particular pet projects. On the other hand, he is unwilling to revisit the Scarborough subway decision—a local pet project if ever there was one—even if a newly elected mayor and council decide they want to revert to LRT.

How would he even do this? From what I understand the City of Toronto and Province in Ontario are contractually obligated to build the LRT. There are no legal agreements between Toronto and Ontario to build a subway extension in Scarborough. Short of somehow forcing Council to enter into an agreement with the Province to build an extension of Line 2 into Scarborough, I don't think he'd have many options on the table to make the City build a subway project that it doesn't want.

Torontoist: You talk about signature projects. Another signature project is Regional Express Rail (RER), which will directly compete with the Scarborough subway, and in fact will carry many of the riders who were used to justify the change from LRT to subway technology there. If you’re basically building two routes in the same corridor, and the real showpiece for the province is RER, doesn’t your statement prejudge the outcome of the study Metrolinx is doing about the balance between what should be built when?

Del Duca: No. One of the great tragedies of the last half-century has been, especially as the entire region has grown in such an explosive way, this notion that we can look at these at pieces in isolation, and try to figure out what the entire plan should look like

This Del Duca character has to be kidding me. Is that not what he's doing with RER and the Scarbrough Subway?

I hate that people in in YR are the final decision makers on all our transit recently. Not even the RH extension, Wynne herself is from RH as well, and Sobara was from Vaughan.

Uh, you might want to check your facts.

Wynne's riding is Don Valley West. She lives in the riding, in Leaside.

To be fair, Wynne isn't in Richmond Hill and hasn't lived there for a very long time. It is a bit silly to lump her in with York Region politicians. After all, Stephen Harper isn't ever accused of being a Torontonian.

Last edited:
I have read that del duca drives down the 400 to queens park every day, but is planning to take the subway when it opens in a couple years.

During the election he was a big champion of GO expansion. All of his local election signs had bright yellow addons on top with a line about it.

Give him a bit of time, he is still new to the position. Hard to criticise him if he hasn't had the time to read the reports yet.

Last edited:
Give him a bit of time, he is still new to the position. Hard to criticise him if he hasn't had the time to read the reports yet.

I'll accept a few dud projects being on the priority list for the next 4 years provided the useful and good ones get tendered.

The TTC driven EA for Scarborough Subway (it's not a Metrolinx project) will be enough to cancel the scarborough subway and we'll start rebuilding the SRT in 2018; regardless of who is mayor at the time. Even a re-elected Ford won't stomach another property tax increase necessary to fund the higher than expected pricetag. Very few projects get through the EA with a lower than expected cost.

It sucks for the residents of Scarborough who could have had the rebuilt SRT in another 12 months but many willingly participated in the hijinks that caused the delays.

He's been in this position for over a month. I say that's enough time to get caught up.

But if he doesn't know anything about transit, maybe he should educate himself before making the comments he did in the Torontoist article.

Back