Oct 10 Ontario Election: Predict the Result

What will be the result

• NDP Majority (you never know)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
And it was very nice of the mayors of the province to remain so silent concerning city issues. Now that they will be back to having so little sway in exacting promises from those running for premier, they can start squaking to no avail again.

the star is like most of the people..

Dalton isn't good, the NDP are stuck in the 60's and the Green party is still in its infancy and John tory has gone nuts...

So, they instead voted mostly for the status Quo...

And it was very nice of the mayors of the province to remain so silent concerning city issues. Now that they will be back to having so little sway in exacting promises from those running for premier, they can start squaking to no avail again.

That surprised me as well. I expected Miller to really take a stand.

That surprised me as well. I expected Miller to really take a stand.

Why? By all accounts Miller and McGuinty had a quid pro quo agreement the instant the Transit City funding announcement was put out. The province overnight offered to take up about $2B of capital expenses the city was expecting to deal with.

Miller, Hazel, etc. were probably told to either shut-up or quietly endorse McGuinty otherwise they wouldn't get that, particularly if McGuinty didn't get re-elected.

The province later offered $1B in uploads and the possibility of more in February.

Considering McGuinty only has about $14B to play with over 4 years and the electorate wants healthcare and education improvements, those city investments are a pretty significant chunk of change.

In reality, McGuinty was already offering the best case scenario. Complaining would simply create bad blood.

Besides, Toronto was specifically told to make sacrifices before coming back for more help. Other municipalities have been raising taxes significantly every year, we should be too. Miller (and council as a whole) knew that. Not picking up the new taxes removed our ability to complain.

Back