News   May 06, 2024
 451     1 
News   May 06, 2024
 1K     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 663     1 

Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

This is just a great case study for how to screw someone over. There is literally no way for Obama to come out of it looking good, even though it's not his fault at all. One of the big criticisms about him is that he is all shine and no substance, and awarding a new president who has barely had time to do anything with a Nobel Peace Prize (why hasn't Bill Clinton gotten one? Then we could watch Republicans foam at the mouth without feeling guilty). Liberals can't really be happy about it since they know inside that it's ridiculous. Conservatives will harp on and on about how it validates their point about Obama just having "star power". It's a lose-lose.

Actually there was a way out - but too late now. If he had turned down the prize (because it was an attempt to interfere in US politics), and stated that he was focused accomplishing <pick some major initiatives> not on winning prizes (i.e. slap back). That way the media would have something else to focus on (the reaction) - and not what he won the prize for.

Actually there was a way out - but too late now. If he had turned down the prize (because it was an attempt to interfere in US politics), and stated that he was focused accomplishing <pick some major initiatives> not on winning prizes (i.e. slap back). That way the media would have something else to focus on (the reaction) - and not what he won the prize for.

This would have been an excellent reaction to prize. Unfortunately the ego of anyone in politics automatically precludes them from even thinking of this, being able to read this, or hear this.

Can they at least give Bush some kind of award for his comedic value? If Obama can win the Nobel prize after being in office for 2 weeks....

I am sure I wasn't the only who lamented the loss of so much material for the night shows and comedians. Can you imagine John Stewart and Stephen Colbert getting so much success without Bush?

The trouble with Bush is that he forever ruined the idea that anyone can grow up to be president.
Not the Bush (or bush) I was referring to, but I disagree with you. If political handlers could make Bush resonate with American voters, then they could do it with almost anyone.

I am sure I wasn't the only who lamented the loss of so much material for the night shows and comedians. Can you imagine John Stewart and Stephen Colbert getting so much success without Bush?

Thankfully the unfortunately inept Congressional Democrats and the usual suspects Fox (including Glen Beck) and Rush Limbaugh are still feeding them lots of material.

They're doing just fine.

If political handlers could make Bush resonate with American voters, then they could do it with almost anyone.

That was my point. Regardless of handlers, Bush proved that incompetence could aspire to head an extremely powerful nation. You don't want just anyone to become president anymore (at least I don't).

Sure, there are so many other things wrong that allow this to happen, but the idea that anyone can become president has been turned on its head.

Ironically, the (by far) smarter Bush brother probably now has no chance of ever being president.

Small loss. It's not like he's the brightest, even among Republicans. The Republicans can most certainly do better than even the brightest of the Bush family.

Back