3K     7 

Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

dt_toronto_geek

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
In other news

In other news:

.. amazingly enough, the Pulitzer Prize for Literature went to Sarah Palin for her stated intention “to read a book someday.†— Richard Cohen, Washington Post

:D

Dumb. He's only going to get flack for this. I'm sure he'd rather do without it.

Apparently nominations were due Feb. 1st, so Obama was nominated within two weeks of taking office.

Complete surprise. Really, they couldn't have waited a few years? At least until after his first term.

Countdown to the first editorial cartoon displaying Arafat, Carter and Obama standing side by side. It'll say "A Grand Tradition" or something underneath. Maybe they'll even throw Al Gore in there.

They should have given the Nobel Peace Prize to Bill Clinton. At least he and his foundation do something humanitarian work with AIDS, sustainable development and climate change.

It also strikes me as odd that the Nobel Peace Prize would go to the someone who is leading a country that is waging two wars simultaneously.

Countdown to the first editorial cartoon displaying Arafat, Carter and Obama standing side by side. It'll say "A Grand Tradition" or something underneath. Maybe they'll even throw Al Gore in there.

Carter has done great work promoting peace, international development and works within the US, even if his politics are still controversial (ie his last books).

Arafat (who won with Rabin), for all his faults, turned the PLO from a terrorist organization to the recognized, moderate authority for Palestine. He was willing to negotiate with Israel (and Rabin was willing to recognize Palestian issues).

Gore was a funny choice, as he was more an environmentalist (particarly after 2000) than a peacemaker, but he did something.

Obama did what exactly so far? The Nobel Peace Prize has officially jumped the shark.

Last edited:
Carter has done great work promoting peace, international development and works within the US, even if his politics are still controversial (ie his last books).

Arafat (who won with Rabin), for all his faults, turned the PLO from a terrorist organization to the recognized, moderate authority for Palestine. He was willing to negotiate with Israel (and Rabin was willing to recognize Palestian issues).

Gore was a funny choice, as he was more an environmentalist (particarly after 2000) than a peacemaker, but he did something.

Obama did what exactly so far? The Nobel Peace Prize has officially jumped the shark.

I don't have any objections to Arafat, Gore or particularly Carter - who is awesome - having won Nobel Prizes. I just think it's sad that Obama winning will open up more tired attacks from the right-wing media in the states, especially considering it's not like he ASKED to win the damn thing.

I don't have any objections to Arafat, Gore or particularly Carter - who is awesome - having won Nobel Prizes. I just think it's sad that Obama winning will open up more tired attacks from the right-wing media in the states, especially considering it's not like he ASKED to win the damn thing.

Your correct, the onslaught has already begun from the right wing.

I'm quite left-wing, and I am not happy. Though Obama's not to blame, that's true.

The worst decision by the committee was in 1973, when the Nobel Peace Prize was awarded to Henry Kissinger. This is up there, IMHO, though.

So they essentially gave the guy a prize for getting elected and overcoming racism. Does this mean that any leader who gets elected and overcomes racist national history deserves a Nobel prize? If a jew becomes Chancellor of Germany or a Dalit (untouchable) becomes the President of India, are they going to give him/her a Nobel prize?

Back