News   May 07, 2024
 491     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 389     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 339     0 

Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

So they essentially gave the guy a prize for getting elected and overcoming racism. Does this mean that any leader who gets elected and overcomes racist national history deserves a Nobel prize? If a jew becomes Chancellor of Germany or a Dalit (untouchable) becomes the President of India, are they going to give him/her a Nobel prize?

Actually, yeah. Probably.

Obama got the peace prize for NOT BEING Bush, that is the grand sum of his accomplishments (especially since the nomination had to go in by a deadline of 12 days after inauguration day). Cheapens the prize now that the it is all about politics.

Lol that SNL sketch and this has really made me change my view on Obama.

He still has charm to court the left and young people, but to a lot of centrists...

He is just talk and no action. Really the only I thing I have agreed with him, is Kayne West is a Jackass.

Yeah, don't be surprised to see the Republicans make decent gains in 2010 elections and the 2012 election will turn into a repeat of the 2004 election.

Your correct, the onslaught has already begun from the right wing.
It's the dumbest decision I've ever seen ... but I'm normally accused of being the left wing.

Nominations closed about 2 weeks after he took office ... I'd say the only peaceful thing he'd done at that point in time is restraining himself from shooting Bush when he had the chance.

This is exactly what Obama did not need right now. They think they are honouring him, but all they're doing is putting a spotlight on his lack of accomplishments right when the issue is starting to bubble up in the mainstream. And he will be mocked for it even though he had no idea he was even nominated for the award until the phone call announcing his win. His speech on the matter was perfect, but nobody listened to it.

But the saddest thing is, to expect Obama to have solved problems such as Middle East peace, the war in Iraq, the war in Afghanistan, Climate Change, and the Great Recession in a mere nine months is totally unreasonable by most standards. As prophesied by many, the fact that many of these problems were created or amplified during 8 long years of Republican government is already totally forgotten. For example, the two wars were started by Bush, but they are now Obama's problem. The mortgage collapse happened in large part because of the lack of government financial regulation implemented by neo-cons, but the resulting economic mess is now Obama's fault. And so on.

Part of me wonders if the Republicans knew exactly what they were doing by losing an election right before all these problems finally became unsolvable.

You can always decline the Nobel Prize. Jean Paul Sartre declined the award (for literature) in 1964 and Obama could do the same too. Of course, Nobel laureates get to deliver a speech, which is something he sure enjoys doing.

Last edited:
That is one thing he excels at.

Who would have thought an SNL sketch could cause so much trouble for a president. Ever since that sketch, the notion of Obama doing nothing has gone from being a far right point of view to going into the mainstream.

Well to be fair, who in the past year could you think of that changed the international climate for the better? Barack Obama. If there's someone else, I'd love to hear it. Honestly, I can't think of someone else.

Interesting article about how Nuclear Weapons have been the greatest source of peace in the past five decades.

It fails to look at the huge number of smaller third world conflicts that have killed million.

However, Nuclear weapons have stooped many powerful large countries from going to war. Pakistan and India will likely never go to war ever again.

But this clearly demonstrates the lack of understanding of US domestic politics and US public opinion on the part of the Norwegians and the Nobel board. Through this premature recognition of things they hope to come, they've hobbled Obama's chances at home of achieving his goals.

Well to be fair, who in the past year could you think of that changed the international climate for the better? Barack Obama. If there's someone else, I'd love to hear it. Honestly, I can't think of someone else.

You mean by someone being better than Bush? I could name thousands of people better than Bush. I could point at people I don't know and they probably would be better than Bush. I would be better than Bush.

That being said, I could use some Nobel cash now, please.

Back