News   Jul 23, 2024
 95     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 212     1 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 997     2 

Nuit Blanche

Miller sees the vote-getting potential in saying he wants it back.

Cynically put my dear bb!

There was no doubt from the the moment Nuit Blanche was unfolding that everyone wanted this to be an annual event, Miller included. The Mayor has pushed this city as an arts centre from the beginning, so of course he would like to see another one, and another one, and another one...

Those votes that may come his way because of it are incidental really...

Nuit Blanche to return in 2007

From Miller's Inaugural address:

We have some of incredible world-stature cultural institutions - the ROM, the AGO, the Toronto International Film Festival, our live theatre scene, to name a few. We can build on that and we must absolutely bring back Nuit Blanche -an unforgettable event that showed the world and ourselves just how far the arts have come in our great city.

Louroz

Re: Nuit Blanche to return in 2007

It's official! Mark your calendars!

Nuit Blanche Returns
Saturday, September 29, 2007
7:03 pm to sunrise

It appears that Chicago also picked up the event but selected an uninspiring name:

www.looptopia.com/

Louroz

Memo to self - plan cottage weekend.

The TTC will be offering 24-hour subway/streetcar service for this event as well (they just haven't announced that yet).

... but will they do it for New Year's Eve, when it is really needed? Nope.

Actually they are! I have an informant now at the TTC and while this won't be announced for months, both NB and NYE will be 24-hour subway service!

The question is, will service be FREE? T

he TTC scrapped the Free rides on NY this year and service was terrible!

Also last year the TTC ran free shuttles during Nuit Blanche to connect the zones.

Louroz

I think it has been a long time since the TTC had free NYE rides. Most of the 905 transit systems have them partly because some company is willing to sponsor it (ie Bacardi for BT).

GO doesn't offer them either.

No, I don't believe it'll be free...but really, why should it?

I got a bit excited by this article from the CBC website.

Floating office, storefront aquarium part of 2007 Nuit Blanche
Last Updated: Thursday, May 10, 2007 | 1:19 PM ET
CBC Arts

Nuit Blanche, the sunset to sunrise festival of contemporary art held in Toronto for the first time last year, is returning 50 per cent bigger this year.

A storefront aquarium, a floating office and an intergalactic miracle are among the events promised for the all-night art festival.

Nuit Blanche 2007 will be held from 7:03 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 29, to 7:03 a.m. on Sunday, Sept. 30.

The success of last year's event, which drew 425,000 participants on a rainy night, has secured the festival as an annual event, Mayor David Miller told a press conference on Thursday.

"We had a self-image as Torontonians that our city embraced things like sports …. That night told us something about Torontonians: that we are a city that appreciates contemporary art," Miller said.

This year's festival will include 123 museums, institutions and neighbourhoods, and about 150 art projects.

Among them is the "intergalactic miracle" promised to materialize in King's College Circle.

Toronto artists Jennifer Marman and Daniel Borins were secretive about the nature of the miracle, which they describe as a "sculptural experience" accompanied by sound.

Participants will have to file through a white tent surrounded by emergency vehicles to see the "surprise."

"We want to reflect reality through the lens of pop culture," Borins said.

Toronto artist Sara Graham will construct a floating office, held aloft by helium balloons, in the Bloor-Yorkville area.

Brazil's Laura Belem plans to recreate a rural Brazilian festival on a downtown Toronto street. She will cordon off the street, decorate it with paper flowers and create a soundscape that Torontonians can walk through.

Australian artist Craig Walsh will have a video installation that looks like a storefront filling up with water in the Queen St. West/Liberty Village area.

The work, complete with fish, will be part of a collection of works on the theme "supernatural city," said Camilla Singh, one of three curators who will help pull Nuit Blanche together.

Singh, a curator at the Museum of Contemporary Canadian Art; Michelle Jacques, an assistant curator at the Art Gallery of Ontario; and Rhonda Corvese, an independent Toronto curator, have chosen only a handful of exhibits so far.

The area covered by Nuit Blanche will be increased, but it is to be confined to three distinct areas of the city so visitors can move easily from one exhibit to another.

Miller told the press conference that Torontonians approached him last year, in the midst of the festival, to demand a repeat.

"People were coming out of the fog, in the pouring rain, and screaming with joy," he said, describing one of 2006's most popular installations, a fog generator on Philosopher's Walk at the University of Toronto campus.

The city of Paris, where the Nuit Blanche concept originated, is looking for closer ties with cities that have followed its lead and created their own White Night, said Coun. Kyle Rae.

Rae said Paris is exploring the idea of artistic exchanges, in which Parisian artists would bring their work to Toronto for its all-night festival and Canadian artists would have a chance to exhibit in Paris.

Nice, sounding great already!

I'm not sure I get this though...

The area covered by Nuit Blanche will be increased, but it is to be confined to three distinct areas of the city so visitors can move easily from one exhibit to another.

I was personally hoping for a 4th zone somewhere in the East End. St. Lawrence-Corktown-Distillery and/or Leslieville could have worked nicely.

^ I agree. Nice that it's happening again. Missed it last yera because I was not it town. Hopefully, I'll be showing up this time round.

Scotiabank Nuit Blanche 2007

What are the expectations around this festival?

Back