1.2K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 638     0 

November 2020 US Election

US election 2020: Biden wins Georgia recount as Trump setbacks mount

Nov 20, 2020

The Democrat beat his Republican rival in Georgia by 12,284 votes, according to the audit required by state law.

Mr Biden said Mr Trump knew he was not going to win and had shown "incredible irresponsibility" by not conceding.

The Democrat is set to take office in January as the 46th US president.

Mr Biden's victory margin in the public vote overall stands at more than 5.9 million. His victory in the US Electoral College system, which determines who becomes president, is projected to be 306 to 232 - far above the 270 he needs to win.

Last edited:
From the article above, once again this ridiculous idea is being floated
What could Trump's next move be?
One possibility that US media are speculating on is that he will try to get Republican-friendly state legislatures in key states to override the choice of voters and instead select members of the US Electoral College who would be favourable to the president.

From the article above, once again this ridiculous idea is being floated

Yeaaaa that would be bordering on Treason.

I would hope the 25th amendment would be used if he even thought about pulling that. It would probably be a red-line for the GOP if the president openly tried coerce a victory by bribing his way into office.

The sensible GOP members of The Lincoln Project aren't having it
Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 9.22.21 AM.jpg

And speaking of things Michigan

You know, when it comes to the "more competent version of Trump could get elected in 2024" argument, there's some chinks in that argument--one being the tinpot ineptitude of the Trump team's efforts to overturn the results (i.e. competence is an oxymoron with these kinds of scammers, quacks, and grifters, and sooner or later the Peter Principle sinks in); and another being that there remains the likelihood of a catastrophic incident resulting from somebody taking things too far. That is, to succeed in 2024, they'd have to keep a measured lid on the ultra-crazy in the interim--and given Trump's devil-may-care predilection for fanning flames, or the possibility that things have *already* derailed and gone out of control in a OAN era, it could well be that the positive momentum for that "movement" won't last that long. All it'd take is one Oklahoma City type incident--or a series of them--to induce a caesura...perhaps...

US election: Trump camp's lawsuit struck down in Pennsylvania

Nov 22, 2020

A judge in Pennsylvania has dismissed a lawsuit from the Trump campaign that sought to invalidate millions of mail-in votes in the battleground state.

Judge Matthew Brann said the suit, which rested on allegations of irregularities, was "without merit".

The move paves the way for Pennsylvania to next week certify Joe Biden's win - he leads by more than 80,000 votes.

-------
In the ruling Judge Brann wrote that the Trump campaign had tried to "disenfranchise almost seven million voters".

He said his "court has been presented with strained legal arguments without merit and speculative accusations".

"In the United States of America, this cannot justify the disenfranchisement of a single voter, let alone all the voters of its sixth most populated state," the judge wrote.

US election: Trump camp's lawsuit struck down in Pennsylvania

Nov 22, 2020

A judge in Pennsylvania has dismissed a lawsuit from the Trump campaign that sought to invalidate millions of mail-in votes in the battleground state.

Judge Matthew Brann said the suit, which rested on allegations of irregularities, was "without merit".

The move paves the way for Pennsylvania to next week certify Joe Biden's win - he leads by more than 80,000 votes.

-------
In the ruling Judge Brann wrote that the Trump campaign had tried to "disenfranchise almost seven million voters".

He said his "court has been presented with strained legal arguments without merit and speculative accusations".

"In the United States of America, this cannot justify the disenfranchisement of a single voter, let alone all the voters of its sixth most populated state," the judge wrote.

Newsmax, OANN, and Parler: FAKE NEWS! Brann is secretly a Dem!

Brann: Newsmax, OANN, and Parler, please remove your tinfoil hat.

I can't believe that my immediate family members (who watch Newsmax and OAN religiously after being betrayed by Fox News for recognizing Biden's victory) consider that map true and they call me a brainwashed liberal. They also consider fact-checkers like Snopes and Media Bias/Fact Check liberally biased, as well as Wikipedia and Google.

As a progressive, and given that UT is a more evidence-based community, I would like to know if any of you have family members who believe in Newsmax, OAN, and/or Parler (or any other far-right news source).
I'm starting to think of it as alcoholism or some other dependence. And it may need the same sort of array of treatments.

Back