News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 498     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

November 2020 US Election

From ONE day ago...

Which world leaders are yet to congratulate Biden?

From link.

Russian president Vladimir Putin

The Russian president will not congratulate Joe Biden while Donald Trump’s campaign launches legal challenges in US courts, a spokesman said on Monday.

President Putin, who has not sent any message to the Democrat, did not wait to delay congratulating Mr Trump four years ago.

Brazilian president Jair Bolsonaro

Another ally to the American president, Jair Bolsonaro, referred to president-elect Biden as a “candidate” when he addressed the US election on Tuesday.

Mr Bolsonaro, still to make a public statement, told a Brazilian audience that the Democrat had been a “a great candidate” and complained about his calls for better protection of the Amazon rainforest.

Slovenian prime minister Janez Jansa

The Slovenian prime minister tweeted premature congratulations to Mr Trump last Wednesday, as votes continued to be counted.

“It’s pretty clear that American people have elected ⁦Donald Trump and Mike Pence for four more years,” wrote Mr Jansa, who attacked “mainstream media” denial in the same message.

Mexican president Andrés Manuel López Obrador

Despite tensions over migration and a border wall, Mr López Obrador has maintained strong relations with Mr Trump, and so avoided accepting his American counterpart’s election defeat.

Instead, the Mexican president issued a carefully worded statement in which he said he would wait until Trump campaign legal challenges had concluded.

North Korean leader Kim Jong-un

Pyongyang has been silent on Mr Biden’s election win last week, with no message delivered to the president-elect, and no reported mention of the contest on North Korean state media.

Jong-un, while two days late to acknowledging Mr Trump’s success four years ago, appears to be waiting even longer this time around.

From TODAY...

China congratulates Biden on being elected U.S. president

From link.

China on Friday became one of the last major countries to congratulate U.S. President-elect Joe Biden, who is expected to make few changes to U.S. policy in conflicts with Beijing over trade, technology and security.

China, along with Russia, avoided joining the throng that congratulated Biden last weekend after he and vice-presidential running mate Kamala Harris secured enough Electoral College votes to unseat President Donald Trump.

“We respect the choice of the American people,” said a foreign ministry spokesman, Wang Wenbin. “We congratulate Mr. Biden and Ms. Harris.”

Wang gave no reason for the delay but said, “the result will be confirmed according to U.S. laws and procedures.”

U.S.-Chinese relations have plunged to their lowest level in decades amid a tariff war over Beijing’s technology ambitions and trade surplus, accusations of spying and tension over human rights, the coronavirus pandemic, Hong Kong and control of the South China Sea.

Trump labeled China a security threat and imposed export curbs and other sanctions on Chinese companies. On Thursday, he stepped up those sanctions by issuing an order that bars Americans from investing in securities issued by companies U.S. officials say are owned or controlled by the Chinese military.

Forecasters had said even if lost his re-election bid, Trump was likely to try to increase pressure on Beijing before he leaves office on Jan. 20.

Political analysts expect Biden to try to resume co-operation with Beijing on climate change, North Korea, Iran and the coronavirus. And they say Biden might pursue a more traditional, predictable policy toward China.

However, economists and political analysts expect few big changes due to widespread frustration with Beijing’s trade and human rights record and accusations of spying and technology theft.

“A tough stance on China has broad support across the U.S. political spectrum,” Louis Kuijs of Oxford Economics said in a report this week. “Biden’s own pronouncements and policy program suggest he will continue to try to maintain the U.S. technological lead and to attract manufacturing activity.”

Some forecasters suggest the change from Trump, who rejected multilateral alliances, to Biden might increase pressure on China if Washington forms a coalition with other developed countries to push for policy changes.

China has tried to recruit Germany, France, South Korea and other governments as allies against Washington but all have refused. They criticized Trump’s trade tactics of surprise tariff hikes, which also were used against allies, but echo U.S. complaints that China is violating its free-trade commitments.

Some Chinese trade experts have suggested Beijing might try to renegotiate the “Phase 1” agreement signed in January as a first step toward ending the trade war. It calls for China to increase purchases of U.S. goods in exchange for postponing further tariff hikes. But that came before the coronavirus derailed global trade, leaving China behind on meeting its commitments.

Renegotiation might fit a “more strategic, longer-term orientation” expected from a Biden administration, but he “cannot be seen to be `soft' on China” after the “hard rhetoric” of the campaign, Kuijs said.

Chinese leaders were quieter during this year’s election than in the 2016 presidential race, when they favoured Trump over former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. They disliked her for carrying out then-President Barack Obama’s foreign policy, which included pressuring Beijing on human rights. Trump’s public image of business success resonated with the Chinese public.

Trump shook up China’s leaders by hiking tariffs on Chinese products in 2018 over complaints Beijing steals or pressures companies to hand over technology.

The White House has lobbied allies to exclude telecom equipment giant Huawei Technologies Ltd., China’s first global tech brand, from next-generation telecom networks on security grounds. Huawei’s access to American components and technology was cut off over the past year, threatening to cripple its global sales.

Trump is trying to bar Chinese social media companies from the United States, citing fears they might gather too much personal information about Americans. The White House is pressing video service TikTok to sell its U.S. operation and is trying to block companies from dealing with WeChat, the popular Chinese message service.

Find it odd that while Canada's Justin Pierre James Trudeau already congratulated President-Elect Joseph Robinette Biden Jr., Mexico's Andrés Manuel López Obrador still hasn't (to date). Maybe the wall is preventing congrats getting through.

Nothing odd at all - Mexico is a bigger target than we are.

AoD

EnE3yuoVkAICHNu.jpeg

I can't believe that my immediate family members (who watch Newsmax and OAN religiously after being betrayed by Fox News for recognizing Biden's victory) consider that map true and they call me a brainwashed liberal. They also consider fact-checkers like Snopes and Media Bias/Fact Check liberally biased, as well as Wikipedia and Google.

As a progressive, and given that UT is a more evidence-based community, I would like to know if any of you have family members who believe in Newsmax, OAN, and/or Parler (or any other far-right news source).

I can't believe that my immediate family members (who watch Newsmax and OAN religiously after being betrayed by Fox News for recognizing Biden's victory) consider that map true and they call me a brainwashed liberal. They also consider fact-checkers like Snopes and Media Bias/Fact Check liberally biased, as well as Wikipedia and Google.

As a progressive, and given that UT is a more evidence-based community, I would like to know if any of you have family members who believe in Newsmax, OAN, and/or Parler (or any other far-right news source).

Yes. My boyfriend's youngest brother believes in that nonsense. i have no idea how an east Indian immigrant turned into Rush Limbaugh. His entire family is all Liberal/NDP supporters.

My aunt believes Trump was robbed of the election.

She also believes covid is a hoax because she read an article online..

(who watch Newsmax and OAN religiously after being betrayed by Fox News for recognizing Biden's victory)

That kind of migration strikes me as a wouldbe/wishful far-right version of 80s music fans migrating from commercial-alternative stations like CFNY to campus stations like CKLN/CIUT.

My aunt believes Trump was robbed of the election.

She also believes covid is a hoax because she read an article online..
The big mistake and a real time- waster is to continue assuming rationality where there is none. Trump has the instincts of a feral beast and apparently some people find this alluring.

You know, going back six months or so, the rule of thumb would have been that One America would have been a bridge too far for "the base", or at least the saner (?) elements thereof. When Trump started giving OANN shout-outs seemingly over Fox, we thought, that's ridiculous. Now, it seems like what was fringe, no longer is--the heart of MAGA really *is* shifting in that direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know, going back six months or so, the rule of thumb would have been that One America would have been a bridge too far for "the base", or at least the saner (?) elements thereof. When Trump started giving OANN shout-outs seemingly over Fox, we thought, that's ridiculous. Now, it seems like what was fringe, no longer is--the heart of MAGA really *is* shifting in that direction.
Given these trends, Newsmax and OANN could become mainstream.

Viewers of those news channels prefer the "truth" even with the existence of otherwise irrefutable evidence, since to them, "irrefutable" evidence is liberal.

A Newsmax and/or OANN apologist would agree with this contestant:

They could interpret elephant = Republicans and Republicans apparently have a larger influence than the Moon according to them, which is how an elephant could be larger than the Moon according to them.

According to anyone who favours evidence, the Moon is over 131 million times more massive than all life on Earth (if life on Earth were only measured in carbon mass) combined. Even if water were included in the mass of all life on Earth, the Moon would still be over a hundred thousand times more massive.

As for the video itself, it's a hoax, but it's used to demonstrate the stupidity of Newsmax and OANN viewers.

Last edited:

Back