News   Jun 26, 2024
 110     0 
News   Jun 26, 2024
 306     0 
News   Jun 26, 2024
 391     0 

November 2020 US Election

This is absolutely terrifying:

State level Republican legislators, in swing states, have discussed how overruling voting and assigning Trump electors anyway. This is why Trump is trying to discredit mail in ballots. And will probably campaign to stop counting if close. This literally sounding like a typical South American coup.

State level Republican legislators, in swing states, have discussed how overruling voting and assigning Trump electors anyway. This is why Trump is trying to discredit mail in ballots. And will probably campaign to stop counting if close. This literally sounding like a typical South American coup.

Given the complete lack of restraint, it is probably prudent to count on this. It's almost like we should help run their elections for them - absolutely shocking how the "leader of the free world" is so caviler about the institution of the vote and so willing to turn it into a ground for nefarious machinations- instead of encouraging the most fair, transparent, accessible and secure exercise of one of the highest universal right of citizenship.

AoD

Last edited:
I was curious about other things...........and was looking at the US TV ratings for last week.

In case you weren't worried.

Fox News has a whopping 5 spots in the top 20.

4 are Tucker Carlson and 1 is Hannity.

As an addendum..........the top rated scripted show in the U.S. came in at #42

.........but it was the Canadian show 'Transplant'.......... (don't know if that offsets the above materially)

Given the complete lack of restraint, it is probably prudent to count on this. It's almost like we should help run their elections for them - absolutely shocking how the "leader of the free world" is so caviler about the institution of the vote and so willing to turn it into a ground for nefarious machinations- instead of encouraging the most fair, transparent, accessible and secure exercise of one of the highest universal right of citizenship.

AoD
How can anything be shocking about Donald Trump after all that's become known about the man just in the last few years ? What is very shocking is how the Republicans in power shamelessly genuflect in kissing the ring. There is a great lesson in human nature to be learned here.

How can anything be shocking about Donald Trump after all that's become known about the man just in the last few years ? What is very shocking is how the Republicans in power shamelessly genuflect in kissing the ring. There is a great lesson in human nature to be learned here.

No one should be surprised by the devolution of the GOP - particularly 2008 onward. The Tea Party, normalization of racial epithets in a good chunk of the base (the Birthers), the absolute cowardliness, craven obstructionism and to the brink politics - recall the willingness to intentionally default and bankrupt the government?

AoD

No one should be surprised by the devolution of the GOP - particularly 2008 onward. The Tea Party, normalization of racial epithets in a good chunk of the base (the Birthers), the absolute cowardliness, craven obstructionism and to the brink politics - recall the willingness to intentionally default and bankrupt the government?

AoD
So true, yet it stuns me to witness the depravity of this caste of Republicans cowed so easily.

Well:

AoD

Maybe I’m a selfish person but to be honest I really only care about American politics to the extent it informs how Canada should pivot. If it’s Trump fine, if it’s Biden fine but either or will create strategic advantages, opportunities, and threats to Canadian and by extension my interests.

Maybe I’m a selfish person but to be honest I really only care about American politics to the extent it informs how Canada should pivot. If it’s Trump fine, if it’s Biden fine but either or will create strategic advantages, opportunities, and threats to Canadian and by extension my interests.
Having Democrats in the White House and running Congress is not historically positive for Canada. Trump’s buy American is mostly bluster, but Biden will push for real economic nationalism. All Canadians really need to care about is:

1) Will Canadian exporters have free or fair access to US markets?
2) As the global GHG emitter, how will the US impact Canada’s air quality and overall environment?
3) How will US political and social turmoil Impact Canada’s economy, safety and security?

Last edited:
No Democratic president tried to blow up NAFTA. just saying.

AoD
No Liberal or Democrat gave us NAFTA. And Trump didn’t blow up NAFTA, it was all bluster for his base, resulting in a new NAFTA that was pretty much the same as the old, with a new name. That’s my point, for Canada, a Biden presidency won’t necessarily be better for Canada.

Having Democrats in the White House and running Congress is not historically positive for Canada. Trump’s buy American is mostly bluster, but Biden will push for real economic nationalism. All Canadians really need to care about is:

1) Will Canadian exporters have free or fair access to US markets?
2) As the global GHG emitter, how will the US impact Canada’s air quality and overall environment?
3) How will US political and social turmoil Impact Canada’s economy, safety and security?
Both Republicans and Democrats antagonize us in certain politically expedient sectors such as softwood lumber and steel/aluminum.

Both Republicans and Democrats antagonize us in certain politically expedient sectors such as softwood lumber and steel/aluminum.
Yes, but historically Dems have done it worse. It was Bush Jr. whose government settled the soft wood dispute in 2006 with the SWLA. It was President Reagan who drove the Canada–United States Free Trade Agreement and his successor President HW Bush who signed it into being. Then in 1993 Clinton signed NAFTA into law, immediately putting cheap Mexican goods on the same tariff level as Canadian goods, resulting for example, in car plants quickly moving production from Canada to Mexico. Biden, if elected has promised to cancel the oil pipelines from Alberta to the USA - sure we may not like the tar sands, but those jobs need to go somewhere.

I'm still hoping for a strong Biden win and Dem senate victory, if only for the sake of mankind, but economically it may be better for Canada if Trump wins. If I'm Trudeau I'm definitely hoping Trump wins, as the orange man's antics have distracted Canadians from Justin's multitude of scandals.

Back