News   Jul 22, 2024
 371     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1K     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Canada leads world in administering first-dose COVID-19 vaccines

From link.

1623797513144.png

Canada has pushed past the UK and Israel to have the world’s highest proportion of the population partly vaccinated against COVID-19.
So far, 74% of eligible Canadians have received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine, federal health officials said at an update Tuesday. Canada’s population is about 38 million people, and more than 29 million doses have been administered, Chief Public Health Officer Dr. Theresa Tam said.

Our World in Data, a site that tracks COVID-19 indicators, pegs Canada as first in the world when it comes to the percentage of a country’s population that’s received one dose of COVID-19 vaccine.
But other countries have Canada beat when looking at how many people are fully immunized against COVID-19. Our World in Data suggests only 13% of Canadians are fully vaccinated — which pales in comparison to Israel, the UK, and Chile.
1623797620712.png

Canada extended the dose interval between vaccine shots to get first doses to more people more quickly, after modelling suggested that giving partial protection to more people would reduce COVID-19 caseloads overall.
Recently, the country has seen a significant decrease in new COVID-19 infections. This week, there were less than 1,500 new infections reported daily across the country, Tam said.

“These positive trends give us great optimism,” she said during her Tuesday news conference. “We have a narrow window of opportunity to get ahead of this virus.”
Many provinces are now starting to administer second doses as vaccine supply increases. Officials have said everyone who wants a COVID-19 vaccine should have the opportunity to be fully immunized by the end of September.

I thought it you received Pfizer for first dose, you will get it for second as well, and similarly for Moderna. Is that not the case?

Walk out if it's not Pfizer 😆

The City Release seems clear to me and says they are giving Moderna only for a limited number of NEW appointments

"In response to unprecedented demand for second dose vaccine appointments, the City of Toronto will be adding 30,000 appointments using Moderna vaccine to its immunization clinics.

The additional appointments will be available starting Wednesday, June 16 at 8 a.m. for vaccination appointments between June 22 and 27. These new appointments will be for the Moderna vaccine only – this is the first time the City has offered Moderna rather than exclusively Pfizer vaccine in its immunization clinics."

If you make a new appointment (from 8am tomorrow) in a City Clinic for June 22 - June 27 you WILL be getting Moderna. If you already have an appt you will get Pfizer.
If you don't want it, then I'll take it.
I just reached 8 weeks after getting the first dose as AZ. After trying yesterday and being shown the nearest available appointments were in places like Bradford and Tottenham, today I got an appointment for June 23 (only one week away) at the Metro Convention Centre.
https://ottawacitizen.com/news/loca...a-variant-study-ontario-reports-296-new-cases
... some doctors and epidemiologists are taking to social media to educate people using humour about the equal effectiveness of Pfizer and Moderna. Both are mRNA type vaccines... The difference between the two vaccines is like the difference between Coke and Pepsi, tweeted Dr. Zain Chagla, an infectious disease physician at St. Joseph’s in Hamilton and professor at McMaster University.
If the number of people getting the first dose might be slowing down after reaching 75%, I find it a little disconcerting that as many as one in four people are that afraid of needles or gullible enough to believe some ridiculous nonsense that stops them.
As Dolly Parton said, "Don't be such a chicken."

Last edited:
... some doctors and epidemiologists are taking to social media to educate people using humour about the equal effectiveness of Pfizer and Moderna. Both are mRNA type vaccines... The difference between the two vaccines is like the difference between Coke and Pepsi, tweeted Dr. Zain Chagla, an infectious disease physician at St. Joseph’s in Hamilton and professor at McMaster University.

Not a great comparison to use with Coke and Pepsi. You're either one or the other.

If you don't want it, then I'll take it.
I just reached 8 weeks after getting the first dose as AZ. After trying yesterday and being shown the nearest available appointments were in places like Bradford and Tottenham, today I got an appointment for June 23 (only one week away) at the Metro Convention Centre.
https://ottawacitizen.com/news/loca...a-variant-study-ontario-reports-296-new-cases

If the number of people getting the first dose might be slowing down after reaching 75%, I find it a little disconcerting that as many as one in four people are that afraid of needles or gullible enough to believe some ridiculous nonsense that stops them.
As Dolly Parton said, "Don't be such a chicken."
Same thing for me. Tried briefly Monday and Tuesday (I wasn't even sure where Bradford and Tottenham were). With the city announcing that more appointments were being released at 8 today, I spent an hour refreshing the page and finally booked June 28 at North Toronto Memorial Community Centre. Not particularly convenient and on a Sunday. So I tried a couple more times and got June 23 at the convention centre. I was rather giddy.

ETA: Huh, just got an email from Rexall, asking which waitlist I wanted to be on, AZ or Pfizer. I booked with the province, because I hadn't heard anything from Rexall since May 12, when the AZ pause happened.

Last edited:
Just got Pfizer #2. Huzzah. No side effects so far but it's only been a couple of hours (only a temporary sore arm after the first one). Actually, I would have given him a kidney if I could have gotten a haircut.
I know three people who had a VERY wide-awake night after their 2nd dose (with headaches). I have my 2nd tomorrow so may be on UT all night :->

Back