News   Jul 18, 2024
 392     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 546     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 887     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Watched Cuomo's latest presser.

He appeared competent and up on all the relevant info.

A few notes:

NY's infection rate has spiked again; they are pacing for an Apex (peak-load of hospitalizations) in 2-3 weeks.

Worst-case need is 40,000 ICU beds

Current capacity is 3,000

State is directly building several thousand emergency beds.

Has also ordered every hospital to find the means to expand capacity by 50%, with a stretch goal of 100%

* note, I'd be incredibly interested to see how this is to be accomplished, I imagine a lot of private rooms can get 1-2 extra beds, but is there a supply of 40,000 surplus beds, or are we talking cots? *

They have 7,000 ventilators, worst case need is 40,000.

US has a federal stock pile of 20,000, apparently the Feds are being pokey about releasing it.

On a different note, Cuomo also told people not to panic as 95% of the population will never get seriously sick or even sick at all.

That this is about the remaining 5% or less.

He also suggested the containment measures, including schools have not been properly handled, and that evidence is now that sending young children home to be with older people who are more vulnerable wasn't ideal.

He also is starting mass tests for anti-bodies, feels the evidence will shows hundreds of thousands of NY'ers already have had infection, never knew it, and now resolved and immune.

He feels immune people should be allowed to return to work, and most (not all) businesses will be able to reopen once they know who is immune already.

Finally they have approval and are trying out 2 new therapies starting today, one will look at the effectiveness of hydroxychloroquine while the other will look at taking plasma from people with antibodies to Covid and transferring that to the ill.

One other issue that’s been raised is that countries are counting deaths differently, throwing the lethality of the disease out of wack, and making setting quarantine periods difficult- the WHO needs to show some leadership and request that all countries standardize their counting methods.
While it would clearly be better if everyone counted and reported the same figures, and used the same definitions, I think that expecting the WHO to be able to impose a standard on all countries is unlikely (even if all were not now working under great pressure with reduced staff.) We do not really have standards inside Canada and some Provinces certainly seem able to report faster than others (and the lag between tests being carried out and evaluated also varies widely.)

Not sure if anyone has linked to this before but the WHO publishes a daily Situation Report at https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/situation-reports

They note:

Due to differences in reporting methods, retrospective data consolidation, and reporting delays, the number of new cases may not always reflect the exact difference between yesterday’s and today’s totals. WHO COVID-19 Situation Reports present official counts of confirmed COVID-19 cases, thus differences between WHO reports and other sources of COVID-19 data using different inclusion criteria and different data cutoff times are to be expected

Police in india are beating up young men who violate lockdown in india or punishing them making them crawl on the road.

Sounds cruel but being indian I know that is the only way the lockdown will work there.

"Man Dies After Taking a Form or Chloroquine"

Who needs science when you have fear mixed with a babbling president.

I think Lenaitch is referring to people who were infected, supposedly got better (tested negative), but later tested positive again. They don't know a lot of things right now, can you be reinfected twice? Do you develop immunity afterwards (if so, how long)? Are you still infectious if you have trace levels still (but are not sick yourself)? Was it just a missed negative test when they let the person leave? Etc. etc.

That, and people testing negative then isolating then coming up positive. I worded my original post poorly.

I just got word from a friend in the STR business that Ice Condos 1 and 2 have temporarily banned ALL STR bookings until the current states of emergency are over with.

I saw the email from their management office so this is not a rumour. The thinking is that the STR guests present a risk of injury to the building relating to their potential infectious nature. In layman's terms the building is worried that STR Guests will spread the virus so they are banning them until this all blows over.

I would attach the screenshot of the email but it was sent via text message and of poor resolution.

So india can lock down a country of 1.3 billion people fully but we cant even muster the ability to enforce isolation on recent travellers.

Wow...

20200323_futuredevelopment_figure2.png

From link.

I just got word from a friend in the STR business that Ice Condos 1 and 2 have temporarily banned ALL STR bookings until the current states of emergency are over with.

I saw the email from their management office so this is not a rumour. The thinking is that the STR guests present a risk of injury to the building relating to their potential infectious nature. In layman's terms the building is worried that STR Guests will spread the virus so they are banning them until this all blows over.

I would attach the screenshot of the email but it was sent via text message and of poor resolution.
Though I applaud this decision (presumably made by the Condo Boards involved and the Property Management company 'only' distributed this information) I hope they got legal advice on it. If the Declaration of the Corporation allows short-term rentals the Board may not have the authority to ban them and any owners who offer STRs and are now told that they can't may be able to sue the Corporation(s). Of course, how many STRs are happening now anyway?

So india can lock down a country of 1.3 billion people fully but we cant even muster the ability to enforce isolation on recent travellers.

Wow...

With respect, India cannot enforce a lockdown in all parts of the country.

There are large parts of India where law and order is a bit tenuous in better/normal times.

Regardless, I'm getting a bit tired of your clamouring for fascism.

Dial-it-back.

Stories like this piss me off.

I don‘t care if you were delivering insulin to duflet-induced diabetes; don’t park illegally. Instead plan ahead. You’re lucky I don’t run parking enforcement in this province, as I would have illegally parked cars (and especially courier and shredder trucks) seized and auctioned.

Great news for the 7 permanent residents!

With respect, India cannot enforce a lockdown in all parts of the country.

There are large parts of India where law and order is a bit tenuous in better/normal times.

Regardless, I'm getting a bit tired of your clamouring for fascism.

Dial-it-back.

Are you from india? Ever been there
..know its history?.I am from india and born there ...trust me when they mean lockdown they mean lockdown...there have been many lockdowns in Indian history...will it be 100% successful no but they will lock down the country mostly in urban centers where needed and they really have no choice...

I am not saying we need to do that as india is a different culture and society.

I am saying many people have not respected self isolation in Canada when they travelled and more could have been done.

The lesson from this is that we need to be way more harsh on people who travelled during pandemics as they are the primary vectors of diease.

Flatten the curve seem you need to take steps apart from just using the honour system.

Last edited:

Back