News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.6K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 647     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Signage outside Toronto parks to warn visitors playgrounds are not sanitized

Miriam Katawazi Multi-Platform Writer, CTV News Toronto
Published Saturday, March 21, 2020 5:14PM EDT

TORONTO -- The City of Toronto is responding to complaints of gatherings at local parks and playgrounds despite concerns around the COVID-19 pandemic.
The city announced that it plans to place signage near parks reminding the public of the importance of social distancing and that playgrounds are not sanitized.

Playground in Poland.
90509628_1305655309581403_3192971386125549568_n.jpg

Coronavirus rebels from France to Florida flout lockdown practices

ELAINE GANLEY
PARIS
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

After days of non-compliance by people refusing to stay home and venture out only for essential tasks, France on Friday sent security forces into train stations to prevent people from travelling to their vacation homes, potentially carrying the virus to the countryside or beaches where medical facilities are less robust. The popular Paris walkway along the Seine River was closed and a nightly curfew was imposed in the French Mediterranean city of Nice by Mayor Christian Estrosi, who is infected with the virus.

Florida’s governor closed all of the state’s beaches after images of rowdy spring break college crowds appeared on TV for days amid the rising global death toll, which surpassed 13,000 on Sunday. Australia closed Sydney’s famous Bondi Beach after police were outraged at pictures of the crowds.

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Saturday that people from 18-to-49 account for more than half of the state’s coronavirus cases, warning them “you’re not Superman, and you’re not Superwoman.”

Many people were not complying with social distancing recommendations to stay away from each other in New York City’s vast city park network ahead of a ban on congregating in groups that goes into effect Sunday night, Cuomo said.

------------
French farmers’ markets where people congregate to shop for food have posed a special challenge for police trying to keep people apart from each other at the recommended 2 metres (6 feet), along with neglected urban housing projects where distrust and disobedience of authorities runs deep.

In Clichy-Sous-Bois, a Paris suburb where nationwide riots triggered by police harassment allegations erupted in 2005, a person bit a police officer trying to enforce confinement rules, said Linda Kebbab, a police union spokesperson. And a large crowd threatened to spit on officers who had planned to disperse them in the southeastern city of Lyon but left instead, she said.

In the southern German state of Bavaria, Gov. Markus Soeder lamented that “there are still corona parties, there are young people who cough at older people and shout corona for fun and, above all, there are an incredible number of groups being formed.”

National police in Spain, which has the second-highest number of coronavirus infections in Europe after Italy, are using helicopters to spot groups of people meeting up outdoors. Then agents are sent in to break up the gatherings.

--------------
France now has 100,000 security personnel on the streets who are issuing fines amid a new national “Stay Home” mantra and warnings by officials that the country’s two-week lockdown could be extended if the country’s infection rate keeps rising. France on Sunday had nearly 15,000 infections.

CTV News showing video footage of large crowds of people congregating along English Bay beach in Vancouver yesterday. We could be seeing stricter enforcement of public spaces soon.

Nova Scotia have also declared a state of emergency, and are now disallowing groups of larger than 5 people in public.

I never thought there would be a time when I would be waiting to hear from Justin Trudeau on a daily basis. How quickly life has changed!

Lesson learned for the next pandemic, Mandatory isolation for returning Canadians and create a task force to implement that. It's a great marshalling of resources but I will 100% guarantee that a lot of the new disease spread is coming from people from vacation going about their lives as normal.
Anecdotally, I have heard many people with roommates who "return from vacation and go to the bar the next day".

This is a good test case about individual freedoms vs collective responsibility.

I would say the govt of Canada will have no option but to enact rather draconian measures here.

Employee who worked at Petro-Canada gas station in Brampton has COVID-19, mayor warns

CBC News · Posted: Mar 22, 2020 10:33 AM ET

An employee at a Petro Canada gas station in Brampton has tested positive for COVID-19, according to Brampton Mayor Patrick Brown.

The gas station, which contains a Tim Hortons outlet, is located at 11980 Highway 10, near Mayfield Road.

In a tweet Sunday morning, Brown urges anyone who visited the location between March 9 and 20 to go into isolation.

"I would ask anyone who went here for gas, coffee or supplies to self isolate for 14 days," Brown said.

Anecdotally, I have heard many people with roommates who "return from vacation and go to the bar the next day".

I had an ex tell me the same thing. Her friends were more concerned about finding marijuana and cigarettes should stores close than they were about helping protect themselves and others.

She also went on about how those people were going out with friends when the pandemic first hit.

Back