News   Jul 17, 2024
 535     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 634     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

I think UV sterilization also works - perhaps it need to be deployed widely.

AoD

So sunlight helps. Not so on cloudy days. Best to be outdoors on a sunny day? Don't use UV lights on your body as it can cause sunburns and/or skin cancer.

What about UV lights on the furnace? As long as it is not exposed onto you?

From link.

"UV Light Kills Coronavirus
For several decades, it has been known by scientists that broad-spectrum germicidal UV light, with wavelengths between 200 and 400 nanometers (nm), is very effective at killing bacteria and viruses by destroying bonds that hold their DNA together. This standard UV light is often used to decontaminate surgical equipment. Unfortunately, these conventional germicidal UV lights are also a health hazard to humans and can lead to skin cancer and cataracts, which prevents the use of UV light in public spaces.

The virus is sensitive to ultraviolet heat and light, so radiation from ultraviolet light can eliminate the virus effectively, according to the latest guideline on diagnosis and treatment of the coronavirus released by the National Health Commissions."

Last edited:
Self-isolation allows for solo walks. I've been walking every day with no contact with anyone. Of course, it depends where you live -- that probably wouldn't work well along Queen St.

Quarantine is different from isolation.

View attachment 237314
I read that guidance from Ottawa Public Health, as well as this advice from Dr. Deena Hinshaw, Alberta's Chief Medical Officer of Health:
However, I also called Toronto Public Health and they advised me that their recommendation is to remain inside for 14 days after returning to Canada. So make of that what you will. (I will admit that I decided, for the sake of my mental health, to go for a walk today, while keeping a safe distance from others and not touching any surfaces.)

Copper and it's alloys oxidize and would require constant maintenance to remove the patina layer. I don't know if the oxidized layer itself is toxic but, like rust, could become airborne or end up on other surfaces which might create a hazard in a medical setting. Also, I don't know if the antimicrobial properties of copper extends to its oxides.
Metals such as stainless steel and aluminum are much more stable and maintenance free. As well, copper is very soft and might not lend itself to many uses, particularly precision medical devices. One of the sterilization methods involved stream which would soften it even more. Other methods involve chemicals that might not play well with copper.
Several metals have anti-organic properties, including copper, silver and zinc (ever seen moss on a ganvalized steel roof?)
I'd encourage you to read the linked article fully as it addresses quite a few of the points you mentioned:
Doctors and healthcare workers might not be aware of its properties, as Keevil wrote in The Conversation: “When doctors are asked to name an antimicrobial metal used in healthcare, the most common reply is silver—but little do they know that silver does not work as an antimicrobial surface when dry—moisture needs to be present."
Another reason copper may have been passed over for steel, plastic, or glass is that it can easily tarnish and requires a lot of cleaning to remain shiny. “But copper is antimicrobial regardless of how grody it looks, if it turns green on you, it still has the ability to kill bacteria and viruses and fungi,” he said.
There's also no need to make surfaces out of pure copper -- the article mentions a clinical trial in which a hospital replaced some commonly touched items with versions made from a copper alloy (potentially with improved strength and corrosion resistance), with promising results.

However, I also called Toronto Public Health and they advised me that their recommendation is to remain inside for 14 days after returning to Canada. So make of that what you will. (I will admit that I decided, for the sake of my mental health, to go for a walk today, while keeping a safe distance from others and not touching any surfaces.)
Mixed messaging is part of the problem. Take a look at the self-assessment tools from the various provinces, they aren't all the same.

I do think that we need to use some common sense. If I still lived downtown, I wouldn't likely go for a walk because it would be difficult to avoid people. I don't live downtown any more, and on my walk today I saw about 3 people and 300 squirrels.

View attachment 237328

The only part wrong with the above, is the word 'Temporarily'.

For the largest number of grocery store staff, their wage is at/close to minimum, so $14 per hour.

This would lift that to about $16 per hour.

From Twitter, on this...........

View attachment 237329

I work as a concierge in a condominium and my particular company is worried they may go tits up as a result of the current pandemic. Majority of our staff are looking at refusing to work because of all the people in self-isolation upon return from their vacations and work trips.

They are also enacting 12 hour work days (5 on 2 off/ 2 on 5 off) as a result of trying to rotate staff in and out. This is leading to staff refusing to work because they are spending more time in a potentially dangerous environment as opposed to 8 hours a day for 5 days a week.

Because we contract our services to buildings (like every other condo concierge company) they are worried this pandemic may eliminate just enough of their staff to put us in breach of contracts. Should that happen we could find many unhappy buildings being given an easy out.

Trust me.. I do not want to work myself because we have a myriad of units in self-isolation. All it takes is one and I could become very sick. I already told my employer that I do not feel comfortable working more than 40 hours a week during the current situation.

Are they looking at a change in procedures? Obviously maintaining a physical distance but perhaps not handling packages, keys, etc? Or providing you with gloves or other protective equipment?

Are they looking at a change in procedures? Obviously maintaining a physical distance but perhaps not handling packages, keys, etc? Or providing you with gloves or other protective equipment?

Of course. We have gloves and masks but the fact that I have 1700 people living across 2 towers and 872 units makes it all that much more difficult.

The packages have to be handled along with keys because that is part of our job description and the natural course of our duties. Some people are good but others are starting to ask that we deliver food to units, etc.

It is an industry wide problem now because of our customer facing job description. We do our best but people are concerned about their own safety.

What most people do not realize is that PPE or not, condos are fertile breeding grounds for disease.

FYI as well, I am not looking to rant I was just saying that the condo security industry is suffering as a result of this pandemic.

We do our best but no amount of protection will make a person feel safe when work in the same building as 1700 other people.

I work as a concierge in a condominium and my particular company is worried they may go tits up as a result of the current pandemic. Majority of our staff are looking at refusing to work because of all the people in self-isolation upon return from their vacations and work trips.

They are also enacting 12 hour work days (5 on 2 off/ 2 on 5 off) as a result of trying to rotate staff in and out. This is leading to staff refusing to work because they are spending more time in a potentially dangerous environment as opposed to 8 hours a day for 5 days a week.

Because we contract our services to buildings (like every other condo concierge company) they are worried this pandemic may eliminate just enough of their staff to put us in breach of contracts. Should that happen we could find many unhappy buildings being given an easy out.

Trust me.. I do not want to work myself because we have a myriad of units in self-isolation. All it takes is one and I could become very sick. I already told my employer that I do not feel comfortable working more than 40 hours a week during the current situation.
A day or so ago you said you were volunteering to work or be on call 24//7. I know its a difficult time but .....

I'm going to say this now, before someone intemperate has me removed.

People need to have an open mind, and be respectful of one another.

Freaking out because people don't agree with you is not healthy.

For those of you panicking, please stop. Do show appropriate caution, and diligence, and seek medical attention if circumstances warrant.

Do not give yourself a medical condition worrying about a remote scenario.

Last edited:
Coronavirus: how Asian countries acted while the west dithered

In Hong Kong and Taiwan, deaths are in single figures. But Europe gambled on a containment strategy

Emma Graham-Harrison
Sat 21 Mar 2020 21.25 GMT

The first coronavirus cases in Taiwan and Italy came only 10 days apart. On Sunday Taiwan, which has deep cultural and economic ties to China, has recorded just 153 cases and two deaths. Italy has more than 47,000 cases and 4,032 people have died.

Italy’s epidemic is currently the most devastating in the world; its death toll overtook China’s last week and on Saturday officials in Lombardy said deaths in that region had jumped by 546 in one day to 3,095. The pattern of an exponential explosion in cases, after weeks of government inaction in the face of impending crisis, has been repeated across western countries from Spain, France and Germany, to the UK and the US.

Leaders are now taking measures that would have been unthinkable weeks or even days ago, locking down tens of millions of people from Berlin to Madrid and San Francisco and pouring billions into rescue plans.

But had they acted a few weeks earlier, they could perhaps have avoided much of the human tragedy and economic catastrophe they now face. Taiwan, Hong Kong and Singapore, which had their first confirmed cases before Europe, but acted early and fast, still have deaths in single digits and, at most, a few hundred cases.

Yikes :(

Dozens of Nurses Exposed to COVID-19 at St. Mary’s General Hospital; ONA calls for expedited testing, collaboration with employer to ensure nurses, patients are safe

March 21, 2020

KITCHENER, ON, March 21, 2020 – The Ontario Nurses’ Association (ONA) is calling for St. Mary’s General Hospital to work collaboratively with ONA Local leaders and its front-line workers to expedite COVID-19 testing and support the more than 50 nurses who have been exposed to the coronavirus while caring for a patient.

“Registered nurses were exposed while caring for a patient who presented at the emergency department and was screened for influenza, but not COVID-19,” says ONA President Vicki McKenna, RN. “Nurses were exposed as they performed emergency medical procedures on the patient that made the virus borne by air; the patient was not isolated. And worst of all, nurses were unable to access N95 respirators when they performed the procedures, as their employer strongly discourages nurses wearing them.”

McKenna says that more nurses were exposed to COVID-19 by a co-worker; several nurses have subsequently become sick.

“This is a clear example of what should never happen in health care,” says McKenna. “This province cannot afford to take chances with the health of our front-line nurses and health-care workers – patients will need them more than ever in the coming weeks.

“I am calling on St. Mary’s Hospital to work openly, honestly and collaboratively with ONA to expedite COVID-19 testing for all nurses and health-care workers who were exposed, support them as they await their results, ensure that screening protocols are followed and proper protective equipment is worn. We just cannot afford to lose nurses now.”

ONA is the union representing more than 68,000 registered nurses and health-care professionals, as well as 18,000 nursing student affiliates, providing care in hospitals, long-term care facilities, public health, the community, clinics and industry.

We really need to implement SARS style quarantine measures. Skip this self-isolation crap.

Years ago I recall Scarborough General having a quarantine facility outside the hospital. If you had SARS you were forcibly quarantined until you no longer were symptomatic.

It worked to protect others and nip the spread in the bud.

With the honor system (self-isolation) there is no guarentee sick people aren't just wandering about the city, entering critical infrastructure etc.

I get the implications but have we not learned anything from SARS?

This province needs to be locked down and a quarantine mandated if we want to keep this thing under control.

Back