News   Jul 17, 2024
 556     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.6K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 645     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Does anyone happen to know if there is a running list anywhere showing which job sites are still running vs those who have shut down due to the virus? I've been seeing a fair amount of posts on twitter lately where construction workers are upset because they still have to go to work, even though their sites have 50+ workers and no running water or sanitizer available. It would be interesting to see how the different companies are dealing with the situation.

90514335_10207002544937484_8007001109233139712_n.jpg

From link.

How to apply for EI and COVID-19 emergency benefits

See link.

Entirely on point.

I would further add; while I completely commend people to follow advice on social distancing; and the shut down of high-risk activities/workplaces, I also feel the extent of the current action is not sustainable in the medium term.

I'm not speaking economically.

I'm suggesting people simply won't abide this level of isolation/inconvenience indefinitely, and that's reflected by rapid loosening of restrictions in China.

Which makes it that much more important not to do this too soon, too long or too widely, because you want to get maximum compliance while you are doing it and where and when the need to do so is pressing.

We need to rapidly roll out more testing, particularly for healthcare workers, psws, and those with frequent contact w/the elderly or high-risk people, including family.

We likewise need to target those with positive tests, and those who are most vulnerable for isolation, so as to invest social (and financial) capital wisely.

This is not an either/or scenario of doing nothing or something half-measure vs totalitarian lockdown.

Its a matter of targeting restrictions and ppe and testing where they are most needed; and implementing the most useful and sustainable measures; while making our healthcare system sufficiently robust to handle what is, and what may follow.

I was pondering today (as I have a lot of time to ponder) how we will stage out of this when the time comes. I don't think an 'all clear' will be appropriate. Perhaps things like allowing businesses to re-open but keep restrictions on places of social gathering, events, etc. in place, international non-essential travel etc. in place for a while longer. I don't really know.

I decided today to start washing the walls before I start climbing them.

My employer has asked me to look into applying for the wage subsidies, part of the emergency plan for employers. But I can't find that on the website. I see mention of it, but no application process.

My employer has asked me to look into applying for the wage subsidies, part of the emergency plan for employers. But I can't find that on the website. I see mention of it, but no application process.

It appears as though, if you determine your business is eligible, you take the money as reduced remittance to the government.

But you'll want to take a closer look yourself here:

Ottawa-based epidemiologist has some thoughts on what this looks like months out.

Suggesting restrictions will be relaxed for a time, and then re-tightened to deal w/future waves.

Speaking of SARS..

Here's a blast from the past that I'm hoping we replicate this time around. Molson stepped up last time we had a major pandemic and it lead to one hell of a concert.

If you were there you won't forget it. If you worked at a furniture company in the area during the concert you won't forget it either.

20200322_155230.jpg

Back