News   Jul 17, 2024
 516     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 625     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Thoughtful, if a bit alarming, article on CNN from a former CDC Director, Tom Frieden; https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/20/health/coronavirus-response-must-adapt-frieden-analysis/index.html

Lots of good key points there.

Some looking at the current situation narrowly.

Others looking at the longer term. My thoughts, on his observations/recommendations in red

Surveillance. We need tracking systems, including the Influenza-Like Illness system, to find spread and monitor trends. Syndromic surveillance systems will need to be tuned to detect possible clusters, and signals investigated immediately.

Intrusive, but incredibly useful, allowing for fast, and therefore limited cost, containment.

Increase personal health resilience. Underlying conditions greatly increase the risk of severe illness. This isn't just bad for patients who get infected, it will take up scarce health care facilities. There has never been a better time to quit smoking, get your blood pressure under control, make sure that if you have diabetes it's well controlled, and -- yes -- get regular physical activity.

Incredibly important. Which is why, as a society we must tackle issues like this aggressively. We need to tackle obesity by outlawing drive-thrus, by outlawing fast-food combos that incentivize over consumption, we need to encourage
walking and cycling and make both easier, safer and more pleasant and penalize excess driving through higher gas prices, parking prices and tolls.

We need to make treatment for addiction readily available with low to no wait times, and free.

We need to crack the whip on drinking and driving.

We need to again look at portion sizes. Beef Bottles were 340ml or so, yet today people drink 473ml cans; wine bottles have stayed the same size, but the number of people living solo has skyrocketed, while single-sized portions of wine have not.

People can and should excercise portion control on their own, but the truth is its not that easy, and we a society should make it easier.

Massively scale up telemedicine. We need to reduce the number of people attending health care facilities while at the same time preserving and improving health.

Enormous virtue in this. Would help extend care to many in outer suburban and rural areas, as well as shut-ins and others who have difficulty accessing the medical system. Also saves money, and reduces the risk of hospital/clinic acquired infections!

Fix supply chain weaknesses. This is crucial for masks and other personal protective equipment, ventilators and supplies for ventilators, and laboratory materials. This is a good time to look at a core list of medications and ensure that the safest and most effective ones are available. For example, in another area where my group works globally, we've discovered that instead of 30 or 50 medications for high blood pressure, three would do for nearly all patients

That last bit highlights why pharmacare need not be as expensive as we are told. We don't need to cover 10,000 drugs or even the 4,000 Ontario currently covers for seniors to make essential medicines available to most people, most of the time.

As few as 150 drugs could achieve that.

So..

I've been cooped up in the house watching The Shining, Eyes Wide Shut and A Clockwork Orange during all this.

Now I've taken an interest in axes and a breakdown in society. I'm not taking too well mentally to the highly suggested isolation methinks.

Oops.
I’m learning piano on the Simply Piano app. I was stuck on Celine Dion’s dreadful titanic song, thankfully without vocals. After ten tortuous attempts my wife saved me by taking over the finishing the tune so I could carry on. Of course the app now thinks I’m better than I am, but I’ll soon remind it of my amateur status.

Also watching Broadchurch on Netflix, and will start the English Game, which looks very interesting.

From SSP: https://aws1.discourse-cdn.com/busi...946506087e4db5431c9d7054207f74ba707d3352.jpeg

1584807070080.png

New York ordering 6,000 additional ventilators!

Amongst other emergency actions.

An interesting piece over at Medium casts doubt on the strategy of wide spread business closure.

Its lengthy, with lots of credible citations, and delves deeply into how South Korea among others is handling thing rather differently.

Good read.

Warning, not short!

Back from doing groceries. People were polite, practiced social distancing and there was plenty of stock. Food Basics has a limit of two for most items,

New measures are needed due to people being morons and idiots.

I still know people going to the Caribbean (if they can lol)

Any Canadian who left on vacation after the Govt gave the "don't leave" order, should either forced into mandatory isolation and if they get stuck "oh well"

Yes most people are practicing self-isolation but each person who is not is a major public safety risk and each person leaving the country and coming back is a bigger risk by the day :)

New measures are needed due to people being morons and idiots.

I still know people going to the Caribbean (if they can lol)

Any Canadian who left on vacation after the Govt gave the "don't leave" order, should either forced into mandatory isolation and if they get stuck "oh well"

Yes most people are practicing self-isolation but each person who is not is a major public safety risk and each person leaving the country and coming back is a bigger risk by the day

Agreed. If someone is dumb enough to travel, they are on their own!

NEW YORK (AP) — FAA says it is suspending all flights to NYC-area and Philadelphia airports because of virus-related staffing issues.

The Javits Centre in Manhattan could be turned into a field hospital:

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – In the race to slow the spread of coronavirus, Gov. Andrew Cuomo has announced on Saturday that Manhattan’s Javits Center tops his list of locations to be turned into field hospitals to test and possibly treat cases of COVID-19 infections.
The plan is part of his request for help to the federal government for four field hospital sites and aid from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.

Cuomo announced the latest step in his COVID-19 plan as New York state broke the 10,000 mark on coronavirus cases, identifying 3,254 new cases in one day of testing. In New York City alone, confirmed cases jumped 1,800 individuals – a 30% increase – to 6,211 total cases.

“This virus spreads in density and that’s what we’re seeing in New York City,” said Cuomo.

The Javits convention center – home to auto shows, trade conventions, comic cons and more – offers 1.8 million square feet of space within Hell’s Kitchen. Cuomo said he hopes four 250-bed units could be put there for a total capacity of 1,000.

Back