News   May 16, 2024
 250     0 
News   May 16, 2024
 478     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 2.3K     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Toronto's Chief Medical Officer is ordering all cinemas to close and all dine-in restos (take out and delivery allowed).

If they don't comply by midnight charges may be laid.

Like even i want it banned but I realize the Canada US border is not a small deal.

Imagine Cabinet, Premiers are having a huge fight about this now

However its good they took this step for now.

Yeah, here's a good thread on why they probably couldn't do a US-Canada border closure in one fell swoop (I'm thinking the Overton Window probably most importantly pertains to one single former reality TV star):

Screen Shot 2020-03-16 at 4.12.05 PM.png
\
Screen Shot 2020-03-16 at 4.12.12 PM.png

Completely shutting the US border means that Canada would essentially be nuking its economy (ignoring the political implications). So a soft-closure for now, maybe a full closure if things get worse, I would imagine.

Yes, and not only the economy, but we also get a significant amount of our medical supplies from the US, so you don't want to piss them off at the moment, or unilaterally close the border without an arrangement to ensure we're not screwing ourselves medically as well as economically.

A group I am in thinks there should have been more lockdown measures and that Trudeau's presser was weak

And now this....

A group I am in thinks there should have been more lockdown measures and that Trudeau's presser was weak

I agree. The US has 10 times more cases than we do and Trump is not the most rational or logical person when it comes a crisis.

They should do what the EU did which was restrict ALL non-essential travel to the EU except for the movement of goods and key personnel like military, doctors, etc. Keep the US border closed on all sides rather than let people through from a country where things are not yet under control.

The appropriate restriction at the U.S. border would be the same Germany has imposed.

Restriction is on tourists/visitors/non-essential travel.

Cargo is permitted, as are those who legally work in the country.

That restriction is entirely manageable; with simple screen of truck drivers for fever, same for nexus holders who work here.

I do think the Trudeau gov't and many provinces, are rolling a lot of things out piecemeal.

Probably, for the most part, in enough time.

However, the optics are poor.

By contrast, we're seeing more complete actions from the Nordic countries who are putting comprehensive worker supports in place, with clear directives and border actions more or less all at once.

Also Ford was 15m late starting his presser; Trudeau was 40m late starting his.............

Hardly the end of the world, but seeing as their respective governments chose the times, it doesn't inspire the greatest confidence that one can't be on time to one's own party.

Last edited:
I do think the Trudeau gov't and many provinces, are rolling a lot of things out piecemeal.

Probably, for the most part, in enough time.

However, the optics are poor.

By contrast, we're seeing more complete actions from the Nordic countries who are putting comprehensive worker supports in place, with clear directives and border actions more or less all at once.

Also Ford was 15m late starting his presser; Trudeau was 40m late starting his.............

Hardly the end of the world, but seeing as their respective governments chose the times, it doesn't inspire the greatest confidence that one can't by on time to one's own party.
As I said as we move to more drastic measures the issues with our federal system will cause problems

So the TTC is barren these days but We had a mentally ill (possibly drunk) person onboard our subway train earlier. He smelt like booze claiming how he was not from Toronto coughing every 2 seconds all over the seats and into the air. I contemplated mentioning something to him to stop but it would have caused more problems then good. He thought nothing of it and kept on doing his thing.

People were steering clear of him but he purposely came and sat next to me before getting in my face and coughing. I almost told him off but as I said you could smell the booze so it likely would do no good.

This begs the questions however.. how does a person tactifully deal with the mentally ill or otherwise addicted in these situations knowing that their actions could have serious ramifications. It is not worthy of the yellow strip but down the road it could become an emergency should they be the proverbial patient zero.

So the TTC is barren these days but We had a mentally ill (possibly drunk) person onboard our subway train earlier. He smelt like booze claiming how he was not from Toronto coughing every 2 seconds all over the seats and into the air. I contemplated mentioning something to him to stop but it would have caused more problems then good. He thought nothing of it and kept on doing his thing.

People were steering clear of him but he purposely came and sat next to me before getting in my face and coughing. I almost told him off but as I said you could smell the booze so it likely would do no good.

This begs the questions however.. how does a person tactifully deal with the mentally ill or otherwise addicted in these situations knowing that their actions could have serious ramifications. It is not worthy of the yellow strip but down the road it could become an emergency should they be the proverbial patient zero.

Remove yourself - get to another car and press the strip, get off the station if necessary. I have no hesitation of pressing the strip when anyone causes a disturbance - someone inebriated or have mental illness isn't a pass, especially during this climate. Good for the all outweighs good of the few.

AoD

Meanwhile, in the States...

For Some Buyers With Virus Fears, the Priority Isn’t Toilet Paper. It’s Guns.
Gun shops and ammunition dealers say they’ve seen a surge in purchases, particularly from first-time buyers.

From link.

Daniel Hill had never bought a gun before. But last week he was in Larry Hyatt’s gun store in North Carolina, picking out two of them: a 9-millimeter Taurus handgun and an AR-15 semiautomatic rifle.

His motivation: the coronavirus.

Mr. Hill, a 29-year-old kitchen manager in Charlotte, N.C., said he feared that the virus could lead to a breakdown of public order, with looting and robberies and “everything shutting down, like in a zombie movie” where society “just won’t have any sense of lawfulness anymore.”

Gun and ammunition dealers said they have seen an influx of customers with similar concerns in recent weeks, creating a spike in sales as coronavirus anxiety spreads. Reports of firearms and survival gear flying off the shelves have been widespread, including in California, New York, Washington State, Alabama and Ohio. Photos on Twitter over the weekend showed lines around the block at one Los Angeles gun shop.

Some dealers said an unusually high proportion of sales have been to first-time gun buyers.

“We attribute it mainly to the virus scare,” said Mr. Hyatt, whose gun store has seen sales increase 30 to 40 percent since late February. The presidential election and stock market fluctuations have also been driving business, he said, and the store is now selling more than 300 firearms a week.

“People have a little lack of confidence that if something big and bad happens, that 911 might not work. We saw it with Katrina,” Mr. Hyatt said, referring to the breakdown in emergency response after the 2005 hurricane on the Gulf Coast. “People haven’t forgotten that a disaster happened, and the government didn’t come.”

Some major law enforcement agencies said they had not seen any sharp rise in firearms sales in recent weeks. Data from the F.B.I. show a sizable increase in background checks for gun purchases since the start of the year, though other factors, such as the national political campaign and gun control efforts by some state legislatures, including Virginia, could also be driving them.

Checks through the F.B.I. system leapt 36 percent in February compared with the same month last year, to a total of 2.8 million nationally — the largest year-over-year percentage increase in any month since July 2016 (another presidential election year). The agency processed more background checks in February than it had in all but two other months since it started performing the queries in the late 1990s.
January, when most confirmed cases of the virus were still mostly overseas, also saw a sizable increase in background checks, up 25 percent from the same month last year.

The background check numbers for March — when confirmed cases of the virus began to sharply spike in the United States and public measures to slow it took hold — will not be available for a few weeks.

Licensed firearms dealers like Mr. Hyatt are required to run those queries with the F.B.I. to ensure that would-be purchasers are not convicted felons or otherwise barred from gun possession. Private sales, including through gun shows, online marketplaces or social media, are exempt from federal background checks, so any change there would be difficult to spot.

Even before virus concerns escalated or the stock market plunged in recent weeks, national politics were likely playing a role in rising sales.

Chuck Lowder, who picked up a rifle at Hyatt Guns last week, cited a testy confrontation between a construction worker in Detroit and former Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr., who is now leading in the polls for the Democratic presidential nomination, about the candidate wanting to “take away our guns.”

Mr. Biden used a vulgarity to tell the worker that he was wrong. While the former vice president supports universal background checks and banning the sale of military-style semiautomatic rifles and high-capacity magazines, he also supports many types of gun ownership and owns guns himself.

Still, those moments can spur devotees to their favorite gun store, said Mr. Lowder, a retired brewery worker and truck driver who had come from Lenoir, N.C., to buy an AR-15. “When you’re told you can’t have something, the first thing you want to do is get it.”

Even so, Mr. Lowder also said that the “unreal” number of customers he saw in Mr. Hyatt’s store last week was likely more about the fear of what could happen with the pandemic.

“When you’re told that the coronavirus is going to get you, and the TV and everything is just swamped with it, people start believing it, and they get scared,” he said, adding that he also bought 300 rounds of ammunition, triple what he normally would buy.

Some ammunition suppliers said they also have seen a sharp jump in sales. Alex Horsman, the marketing manager at Ammo.com, said the past few weeks have marked the largest spike in orders in the five years he has been with the online company.

The company said it recorded two-thirds more transactions in the 11 days after Feb. 22 — when Google Trends indicates that search interest for “coronavirus” began a new surge — than in the 11 days prior. Buyers in North Carolina, Georgia, Pennsylvania and Texas led the increase in sales.

As customers have been flooding into gun stores, demand appears to be outstripping supply among some wholesalers, said Andy Raymond, the owner of Engage Armament in Rockville, Md. “We’re getting stuff from distributors,” he said, “who are saying, ‘Hey, due to high volume, we’re delayed in shipping.’”
Mr. Hill, the first-time buyer in Charlotte, said he thought society was a long way from the full breakdown that he feared might be coming because of the virus.

“But you can tell it’s already taking a toll on everybody,” he said. “If it were to keep going the way it is going, how bad could it get?”

Ontario Takes Further Action to Contain the Spread of COVID-19

March 16, 2020 8:30 P.M.
Office of the Premier

TORONTO — Today, Premier Doug Ford and Christine Elliott, Deputy Premier and Minister of Health, issued the following statement about ongoing and extensive efforts to prevent the spread of COVID-19:

"Since we first learned of COVID-19, Ontario has actively monitored the developing situation and has acted decisively to contain the spread of this new virus to protect the health and well-being of all Ontarians.

Given the latest developments both internationally and here at home, including growing evidence of community spread, the province is taking further action to help prevent the spread of COVID-19. Based on advice from Ontario's Chief Medical Officer of Health, Dr. David Williams, Ontario is responding to the evolving situation by moving forward with new measures to help contain the virus, including the recommended closure of all recreational programs and libraries, private schools, daycares, churches and other faith settings, as well as bars and restaurants, except those that may only offer takeout or delivery. These closures would be in line with the updated guidance to avoid large gatherings of over 50 people.

We recognize that these measures will significantly impact the lives of many Ontarians. However, as the number of cases in Ontario continues to grow, we must heed the advice of our public health experts and take decisive action to protect the health and safety of the public, our government's top priority.

As this situation continues to evolve, we are prepared to continue to respond quickly and effectively to any scenario to keep Ontarians safe."

Read the latest recommendations from Dr. Williams outlining enhanced public health measures and what Ontarians should do to help limit the transmission of COVID-19.

---

Replicate and recirculate official websites - it helps in case anything else went down.

AoD

Back