News   Jun 12, 2024
 1.4K     3 
News   Jun 12, 2024
 457     1 
News   Jun 12, 2024
 508     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

As usual, Scandinavian governments care the most about their people. Whatever help package the federal government devises, if it ever gets to the point that lies beyond just talk and good intentions, as a self-employed person I am 100% certain that I will be left to fend for myself.

2 weeks in isolation should in theory resolve the issue. Have doctors in full hazmat treat the sick.

Not ideal but would you rather them isolate themselves on the honor system?

People are stupid and will put themselves before others. Better to risk serious complications from isolation than to risk further spread.

Yes people may get sick and die but that is the nature of disease outbreaks. Now is not the time for the honor system if you wish to control the outbreak.
Now we're getting silly. Let's build a quarantine facility (called a hospital in China) on the aptly named Hope Island, and in a month we'll come back to pick up the survivors.

I'm expecting another Waco incident sometime relatively soon resulting from this pandemic.

The 2nd amendment is what it is but I can see some heavily armed Americans panicking and starting to kill people in the name of protecting themselves and their property.
Since mass shootings are an almost daily event in US, I am sure we will see 'incidents' but you REALLY need to calm down.

Well yeah, i am a nobody and that 100% includes everyone on here as well but when the Premier of Quebec (who seems the be most competent Premier on Convid 19 so far) says rather openly saying he is not happy with the border controls, that gives some pause whether the govt is doing enough.

When the CBC and journalists asked federal ministers and they had no real response to why there seems to be hardly any screening at airports that gives...pause...

The premier of quebec is upset at the federal government? Quelle surprise

The premier of quebec is upset at the federal government? Quelle surprise

So that means the premier is wrong by default even though in this case he is 100% right.

2poa4k.jpg

As usual, Scandinavian governments care the most about their people. Whatever help package the federal government devises, if it ever gets to the point that lies beyond just talk and good intentions, as a self-employed person I am 100% certain that I will be left to fend for myself.

Like you I rely on a lot of contract work.

Its a concern for me.

Though I am grateful to have a saved a good amount over the years, such that a slow down for a few weeks would not be the end of the proverbial world.

I may also see some extra work out of this, though that's TBD.

For people who don't have a cushion.....it could be a very serious problem.

Trying to keep up on Provincial News Releases on COVID? Well, there may be a problem............you're not the only one......

This is what you see if you go the site:

"This website is under heavy load
We're sorry, too many people are accessing this website at the same time. We're working on this problem. Please try again later."

The EU suspends all Tourist travel to Europe

Either everyone is racist or we should do the same

I tend to agree.

It is coming to the point where we may be the only country not to seal their borders.

If the EU along with other major nations can do it so can we.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Schengen Area was temporarily dissolved due to the outbreak. There are provisions in EU law to do so in this sort of situation.

Watching the provincial presser, I can say the following.

1) Everyone's job is secure if they had, have to or will have to be absent from work due to illness, self-isolation or to provide care for children as a result of the school closure.
2) Said law is retroactive to January 25
3) No employer may require a doctor's note.
4) No cap on length of job protection (ie. not limited to 2 weeks)

5) At this time, no plan to require employers to pay workers who are off, instead reference Federal EI plan.

6)Not clear yet whether EI will be covering those off for childcare reasons.

7)No plan as yet to close gap between what EI pays 55% of income (up to capped amount) and someone's normal income.

Provincial budget cancelled in favour of an Economic Statement, still next Wednesday.

Provincial medical officer is awaiting guidance from Ottawa on repatriation of travelers.

Further shutdowns of business not yet mandated, but are contemplated.

These people who publicly showcase their profiteering during the crisis are just asking for trouble from the public, e-merchants or the government.

‘We’re hustlers’: Amid coronavirus fears, this couple has made more than $100,000 reselling Lysol wipes

Let me know when public health officials in Canada recommend that they do something else, or show me your virology degree.
Otherwise stop with your partisan fear mongering.

Pointing out similar nations taking similar steps is not fear-mongering.

We dont live in a bubble, it is 2020.

Back