News   Jul 08, 2024
 393     1 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 1.1K     7 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 637     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Curious to see whether it will be a real lockdown or more of the same half measures we've seen here before.

I'm assuming it's a half baked lockdown where they lockdown Toronto and Peel but fail to realise Durham and York also border Toronto.

A lockdown of Peel and Toronto will do eff all when people can drive to Niagara Falls, Hamilton, Oshawa, Burlington, Newmarket and Aurora.

Curious to see whether it will be a real lockdown or more of the same half measures we've seen here before.

Cynthia Mulligan of Citynews is quoting government sources on twitter stating that schools won't be closed during a lockdown and that a lockdown would now would be different than in march because "officials know more about the spread"

I take this as it being a half-baked lockdown that does absolutely nothing while looking like it does.

I'm assuming it's a half baked lockdown where they lockdown Toronto and Peel but fail to realise Durham and York also border Toronto.

A lockdown of Peel and Toronto will do eff all when people can drive to Niagara Falls, Hamilton, Oshawa, Burlington, Newmarket and Aurora.

Yep. If Toronto and Peel go into lockdown, the restaurants and businesses in the neighboring area's are going to be swamped with people from the GTA doing Christmas shopping and dining..etc.

Vietnam had better compliance because East Asian cultures are more collectivist than Western societies (that term not intended pejoratively in this case).

(although I dare say the Us has a bigger libertarian problem than Canada!).

Why is it a "problem"? That's a pretty problematic statement.

edit: to clarify, I mean it's intellectually lazy to dismiss as a "problem" a reasonable perspective with which you disagree. Certainly, there are unreasonable perspectives and statements on both anti and pro lockdown sides. Yes, being libertarian means taking on more responsibility because more freedom/rights come with attendant responsibilities. At the same time, the pro lockdown side should be careful to confine their small bouts of authoritarianism, as you put it, to this issue only. In my experience, I've seen lockdown support worryingly track with greater authoritarianism in other domains among people of certain persuasions.

Last edited:
Yep. If Toronto and Peel go into lockdown, the restaurants and businesses in the neighboring area's are going to be swamped with people from the GTA doing Christmas shopping and dining..etc.

You can bet your ass that people would go to NOTL for their christmas shopping and dining needs.

The neighbouring areas have 10 people max limits so not much point going there. Some have reverted to takeout only.

The neighbouring areas have 10 people max limits so not much point going there. Some have reverted to takeout only.

They can drive to an orange zone. Niagara region is still in orange and so is Guelph/ Cambridge/ Kitchener Waterloo. People will drive there and spread the covid. We saw that with the last shutdown when places started to re-open. A shutdown has to be large enough to stop people from driving to local municipalities.

Kind of posted before but this is Toronto’s geographic context: Diffusion through a semi-permeable membrane comes to mind.

Local community spread is 100% on us but there is no way we are driving this to zero with millions of trips across this border.
39471368-180A-4B6A-A6C6-1302A0A2373F.jpeg

Kind of posted before but this is Toronto’s geographic context: Diffusion through a semi-permeable membrane comes to mind.

Local community spread is 100% on us but there is no way we are driving this to zero with millions of trips across this border.
View attachment 283599

This map is a bit misleading as it shows county-level figures for the US but province-level for Canada. I find the map almost completely meaningless--a big data visualization failure.

Afransen,

Yes, I agree with you to a degree but we shouldn’t throw the baby out with the bath water.

The county-level US data shows the boundary pressure. You can see Southern Ontario is under enormous boundary pressure. By contrast the Atlantic provinces and Praries are not.

Thousands of Truckers etc are crossing that Southern Ontario border every day with no quarantine.

Furthermore you have to trace national logistic supply chains. The GTA is a central national trucking, rail, and air transportation logistic hub.

Last edited:

Back