News   Apr 25, 2024
 151     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 329     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 527     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

That's what Doug Ford's and Dr. William's "plateau" looks like, folks.

Trick or treat in and on itself isn't a huge issue; it's the pre-parties and meetups that is. In any case, he and his government need to be doing a lot more than dealing with Halloween instead of playing stupid games with legislation by stealth.

From CBC:

The pleading by Halton is pathetic.

AoD

Ford should say ok Halton you have 14 days if things are not better you will go back to stage one for 45 days.

The Ottawa hospital is building a temp 40 bed unit one oif the parking lots as there acute care beds are over 100% cap.

Ford needs to cancel trick or treating this year. We don't need crowds of kids and parents going door to door touching candy distributed by other people.

In actual practice, how would the government or anyone cancel Halloween in any enforceable way? A statement that the government does not recommend it, either provincially or in designated areas, might be all that it could do.

In actual practice, how would the government or anyone cancel Halloween in any enforceable way? A statement that the government does not recommend it, either provincially or in designated areas, might be all that it could do.

Not that I am suggesting the current situation calls for it - but curfew would communicate that the government mean business. Certainly most parents won't be crazy enough to let kids out trick or treating in that environment.

AoD

Last edited:
Not that I am suggesting the current situation calls for it - but curfew would communicate that the government mean business. Certainly most parents won't be crazy enough to let kids out trick or treating in that environment.

AoD

Ya, true dat, but it would seem a little Draconian. An order without the will or means to enforce would seem hollow and possibly taint the view of the significance of other orders. Besides, I get the sense that parents and others are taking due care. Institutional participation, such as schools is off and homeowners are being creative to limit/eliminate contact.

Ya, true dat, but it would seem a little Draconian. An order without the will or means to enforce would seem hollow and possibly taint the view of the significance of other orders. Besides, I get the sense that parents and others are taking due care. Institutional participation, such as schools is off and homeowners are being creative to limit/eliminate contact.

That's why I am not saying we should use that - it's like killing an ant with a sledgehammer - and besides there are far, far more effective measures for the real problem, which is trick-or-treat gatherings. The problem with us is that we aren't even willing to enforce - or be seen to enforce the rules against obvious transgressors. Like that Chris Sky kid - why is he still walking free? He would be a perfect case study of someone who should have been made an example of - multiple transgressions in complete defiance of the law.

AoD

Last edited:
Looking at peer nations I think we’ll be lucky to see a gradual increase in daily case count. My fear is this will go parabolic as it is in countries doing as much and more than we are:

-Likely outcome is this goes parabolic in the first week or two of november. Canada averages over 10,000 cases per day

-Hopeful outcome a gradual doubling of cases per day to around 5000-6000 cases plateauing around that number

Government has provided posters you can print out
Here they are:

See-you-next-year-Halloween-ontario.ca_-scaled.jpg

No trick-or-treating

Welcome-trick-or-treaters-poster-ontario.ca_-scaled.jpg

Yes trick-or-treating but requires proper face covering

Ontario is reporting 1,042 cases of #COVID19 with nearly 38,800 tests completed. Locally, there are 309 new cases in Toronto, 289 in Peel, 117 in York Region, 80 in Ottawa and 52 in Durham. There are 736 more resolved cases.

Ontario is reporting 1,042 cases of #COVID19 with nearly 38,800 tests completed. Locally, there are 309 new cases in Toronto, 289 in Peel, 117 in York Region, 80 in Ottawa and 52 in Durham. There are 736 more resolved cases.

Peel and York seem to be the big issue now more then Toronto and Ottawa that are more or less stable.

I can't wait to see what Christmas and NYE numbers will be. 😟

Sharkawy added the high weekend totals are “almost certainly” a reflection of infections caught during Thanksgiving weekend get-togethers, adding Ontario saw similar increases about two weeks after Mother’s Day and Labour Day.

Looking at peer nations I think we’ll be lucky to see a gradual increase in daily case count. My fear is this will go parabolic as it is in countries doing as much and more than we are:

-Likely outcome is this goes parabolic in the first week or two of november. Canada averages over 10,000 cases per day

-Hopeful outcome a gradual doubling of cases per day to around 5000-6000 cases plateauing around that number

My fear is we will be the next Italy or Spain.

Back