News   Jul 31, 2024
 861     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 725     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 536     0 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

Just an update -- a small poll (500 people) heavily favoured John Tory for the mayor's chair. And according to the Globe this morning, Smitherman is dithering (nice use of words!) about whether or not he'll run. To me it is apparent that George S is a tad spooked about the ehealth spending scandal, and the McGuinty government needs him right now, he's so good at damage control.

Interesting that the talk is only about these two candidates, not officially announced, while the one officially announced (Mammoliti) is generating practically no buzz at all.

Oh, yes, Adam Giambroni may announce too, but he'll tank.

Giambroni can be a popular candidate but I think he should complete a second term as councillor before running. Definitely not in 2010.

My bets are on Michael Thompson. He hasn't announced yet but I'm certain he will. He may come across as right wing but he has a lot of socially conscious policies that bring him closer to the centre.

I spoke with him last year about Transit City. He supports it with the modifications that I think are popular here on UT: Eglinton and Sheppard as subways and more focus and priority on a DRL.

I wonder if there's still time for the incoming mayor to change Transit City plans to reflect those sensible modifications.

Hmm, interesting. Given John Tory's record of either grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory; or turning defeat into a massacre, it could be interesting to see how he screws this one up.

Perhaps he will revive his promise from his last attempt, to build garbage incinerators in the Beaches?

Honestly, he is the best person for the job and I hope he announces he's running soon.

It's pretty clear from his twitter account that he will run. http://twitter.com/Glen4TO

He sure does need a better profile picture, though.

mayor.jpg

Although I am loath to admit it, it looks like left candidates in general are going to have an uphill battle in 2010 due to the popular perception that Miller was a mediocre mayor. I write this with the fresh memories of Michael Thompson getting plenty of free airtime this week by blaming the municipal government for the swine flu vaccine debacle.

Outsiders like Murray may fare better than Miller's cabinet, although I think even Murray would be forced to put some distance between himself and Miller by virtue of the Miller Derangement Syndrome that is rampant in our city. I think it makes sense for Giambrone (and Carroll, for that matter) to take a pass on 2010; the lack of an incumbent would force Giambrone and/or Carroll to defend against anti-Miller strawman attacks that would surely prove fatal to their chances given the lack of sophistication of our political discourse.

On the right, I can't see anyone other than Rob Ford breaking ranks to compete with a consensus candidate like John Tory or Michael Thompson. If Tory decides to do what he does worst (i.e. seek elected office), Thompson, Stinz and Minnan-Wong may run, but their real goal is to raise their profiles for 2014 while harbouring a secret hope that they can pull a David Miller and break through a disjointed field if the race unfolds in an unforeseen manner.

Giorgio Mammoliti is a bit of a wildcard, having bounced around the political spectrum somewhat since his early NDP dogmatism. He may also see himself as a Miller-in-waiting, but I think he lacks the power base to make a serious play.

That leaves Smitherman, who clearly fancies himself the frontrunner if only he could find a hacksaw to cut away this e-health scandal cancer that seems to have metasticized to him. He seems to be enough of an insider that he won't be allowed to take the chance of losing; if he runs, he will probably have set up the appropriate fall guys and positive media agenda to minimize the e-health blowback.

In terms of longshot outsiders, I notice early in the thread that Rocco Rossi's name has once again been trotted out. This as-yet-unfired Ignatieff lieutenant certainly would have access to the financial backers necessary for a relative unknown to mount a grand coming-out party, but such backers would also need to feel the love reciprocated by the electorate in short order or Rossi's would be a short-lived candidacy.

My safe money is on Tory, but I would also put some money on Thompson to cover my losses when Tory literally implodes into elementary particles during the first debate after pulling a Kramer and hurling racial epithets at Michael Thompson.

George Smitherman resigned today from Cabinet.

He is IN in the race for Mayor of Toronto.
Hmm, that's interesting ... and perhaps unfortunate.

He might well have the skill, and the political machine, to win the mayoralty. But I'm not convinced he has the people skills, the relationships, the communication skills, the education, or possibly even the intelligence, to herd the cats in council. Surely the mayor has to be a people person to guide council ... and I don't think that Smitherman is up to that job - unless he can somehow walk in with huge bags of Ontario cash.

Oh well, let's see what he promises ... I may be surprised.

Hmm, just when I was warming up to Glen Murray...

I like how well connected Smitherman is to the Provincial Government. Miller's relationship with McGuinty has always been good but with Smitherman as Mayor, our city would have a lot more leverage with the province...

... unless McGuinty is pissed that Smitherman abandoned ship.

Now will Tory run? They had an agreement.

I hope it comes down to Murray vs Smitherman. They're both very competent although I feel that Murray has the charisma that a Mayor should have and Smitherman lacks.

Back