News   Aug 01, 2024
 76     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 742     0 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

Who are the other possible candidates?

I've heard of John Tory (guy who lost to Miller in last round over trash brawl) and Smitherman, but who else is also running for the election?

Who is Glen Murray? Mike Thompson? Rob Ford? and I hope Giambrone doesn't even try to run for election, he sucks at managing TTC!

Last edited:
and Smitherman (McGuilty's sex slave)

No one calls me politically correct (believe me!!!) but, well, frankly this is offensive. You might get away with this at the water cooler but putting it in print is something else.

This is coming from someone who once thought he'd back Smitherman but is not sure right now, just in case you think I am rabidly pro-George.

Mods?

Sad to see someone who is pro-McGuilty at this time (for sake of you and pro-libbies, I removed the phrase McGuilty's slave), but is he really a saviour? Someone from McGuinty's Liberals is going to really turnaround Toronto from the messes that Miller created?

Do you even know what McGuinty has done to Ontarians?
-Tuition freeze turned out to be a lie (our tuition fee is the highest in Canada, and soon to approach Ivy-League levels)
-Promise of the transit improvements seems to be more mythical than reality (2020? Are we really getting all these by that time? No HSR? Even worse, no DRL/Queen/Eglinton subway)
-Tax raises (insurance, property tax, need to say more)?

I really shouldn't have recanted the word "sex slave" when it comes to dealing with financial disasters that McGuinty Liberals have created. Smitherman, would probably become a reincarnation once McGuilty leaves the office.

Hate to say it, but my best bet is John Tory (despite negative views toward him I find Conservatives nowadays doing more for infrastructure and finances than Liberals do)

And I'm not even a fan of Stephen Harper.

Last edited:
Hate to say it, but my best bet is John Tory (despite negative views toward him I find Conservatives nowadays doing more for infrastructure and finances than Liberals do)

And I'm not even a fan of Stephen Harper.

Which "Conservatives" would you use as an example?

The latest polls showed Tory way out front of Smitherman. Tory may be able to tie Smitherman to eHealthgate as well.

Last edited:
The latest polls showed Tory wait out front of Smitherman.

And do you remember back in 2003 when Barbara Hall had a 30 point lead over John Nunziata five months before the election, with Miller barely registering in the single digits?

Those polls didn't quite predict the future, no?

My point: campaigns matter. Issues matter. Personalities matter.

Meaningless polls don't.

How far do we all think McGuinty will go as Premier? Even with the HST and some minor gaffs in the last year, I'm confident that he's safe for 2011.

Do you think he'll run for a 4th term? I think he was grooming Smitherman to succeed him but if he wins the Mayor's seat, he'll probably want to be there for at least 2 terms.

McGuinty is probably in a wild scramble looking for another right hand man.

Smitherman might be an interesting choice. If he's elected, I could see McGuinty trusting him with some stronger powers. Toronto is headed for financial disaster, and council doesn't seem able to alter its course. A strong mayor is probably necessary (and perhaps even a lift on the ban on political parties at the municipal level) to make the tough choices required.

Smitherman might be an interesting choice. If he's elected, I could see McGuinty trusting him with some stronger powers. Toronto is headed for financial disaster, and council doesn't seem able to alter its course. A strong mayor is probably necessary (and perhaps even a lift on the ban on political parties at the municipal level) to make the tough choices required.

Agreed. That may well be part of the game plan here. The only way TO might get a strong mayor system is if Toronto elects a provincial level politician. Even Tory might be good for the job. Though, I suspect as long as Miller was around, there is no way McGuinty would push for a strong mayor system.

It's looking more and more likely that Giambrone will throw his hat in the ring. I wonder how deep his NDP roots lie, or if he would play deal-breaker a week before by throwing his support towards Smitherman.

Why trash McGuinty on a thread about Toronto's next mayour?

-Promise of the transit improvements seems to be more mythical than reality
There's always a lot of space to criticize politicians over broken promises; none are exempt, we've seen broken promises from the NDP, Liberals, Tories.

But good god man! Criticizing the Liberals for not following through with promises of transit improvements? There's been almost $10-billion this year alone just for TTC and billions more for other agencies. Compared to a paltry $300-million from the feds. There was funding announcement after announcement this spring. I just can't fathom how you could make that claim!

Criticizing the Liberals for not following through with promises of transit improvements? There's been almost $10-billion this year alone just for TTC and billions more for other agencies. Compared to a paltry $300-million from the feds. There was funding announcement after announcement this spring. I just can't fathom how you could make that claim!

Yeah nfitz.... but nothing to show for. Who cares about these huge funds if we dont see results. Results of this money in 15-20 years aint good enough.

Yeah nfitz.... but nothing to show for. Who cares about these huge funds if we dont see results. Results of this money in 15-20 years aint good enough.
What? Funding was announced this year; construction on all these routes starts this year and next year. What do you expect? This is light-years ahead of the 2000s, 1990s, and 1980s.

What to you mean 15-20 years; the funded routes will all be open by 2015; except Eglinton which starts opening in 2016.

Some good content in the Globe today. I'll summarize:

Smitherman vs. Liberals- Smitherman has pissed off provincial Libs with the way he has handled his resignation. McGuinty was the only one saying good things about him.

Marcus Gee: Talk Money- Gee thinks Smitherman was using clichés when talking about balancing the budget yesterday. For a guy who's supposed to make tough decisions, he sounds like everyone else right now (will balance budget without tax increases). We need a frank discussion on finances, sans the politics of it all.

Tory vs. Smitherman- Tory had Smitherman on his radio show and grilled him about eHealth. Smitherman did not like the questions, and they sniped a bit at each other. Let the fireworks begin...

The Globe (can't remember which article) also theorized that Smitherman and Tory may battle for the centre-right vote, leaving someone to come up through the centre-left. Of course, you have to take in account that the market for a centre-right mayor is probably a lot bigger.

What? Funding was announced this year; construction on all these routes starts this year and next year. What do you expect? This is light-years ahead of the 2000s, 1990s, and 1980s.

What to you mean 15-20 years; the funded routes will all be open by 2015; except Eglinton which starts opening in 2016.

Sorry... i will believe it when i see it, right now its all "water under the bridge" :rolleyes:

Jack Layton made some comments today that suggest that Adam Giambrone is going to run. If Glen Murray doesn't run, I may have my choice.

Giambrone has modernized the TTC and set it on a path for expansion never before seen.... all this in one term as councillor. Within months of being elected, the youngest councillor kicked into action the Dufferin St. Jog removal which has been promised and planned by councillors for over 40 years. It will have an incredibly positive impact on that part of the city.

He's young, but he's an over achiever. I think he'd make a very competent mayor and carry Miller's torch. My preference would have been to allow Miller to complete his planned 3 term road map for our city, but with Miller opting out, Adam Giambrone will stay the course.

I think while Tory and Smitherman are fighting it out and destroying eachother with negative ads, Giambrone can come up the middle and be the David Miller of 2010, the underdog who beat out the giants.

Back