News   Jul 31, 2024
 797     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 715     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 529     0 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

At a personal level, I think Smitherman will be a disaster - don't forget he is the one who presided over the MoH mess. The man is many things, transparency and rule of law it isn't. I might disagree with the politics surrounding Tory - but I have no doubt he is a better person than Smitherman.

AoD

I'm in the same boat.

I was hoping Glen Murray would come along and solve my dilemma...

John Sewell is still Mad About Everything too and sure likes writing editorials about how much cops suck in the free downtown rag, so there's him too. Don't call it a comeback.

With contracts for new subway cars, new buses, new streetcars, 3 LRT lines, a subway extension, Pan Am facilities, and Union Station already signed will the next mayor have any job other than to balance the books and deal with unions? There wont really be any room left in the budget for visionaries.

With contracts for new subway cars, new buses, new streetcars, 3 LRT lines, a subway extension, Pan Am facilities, and Union Station already signed will the next mayor have any job other than to balance the books and deal with unions? There wont really be any room left in the budget for visionaries.

So, Rob Ford then?

Please.. by the time 'When All Is Said And Done' Toronto could be a couple billion bucks in the red. The next Mayor of this city better be ready and have big balls to deal with the backlash.

Please.. by the time 'When All Is Said And Done' Toronto could be a couple billion bucks in the red.

Hence the reason I stated "will the next mayor have any job other than to balance the books and deal with unions? There wont really be any room left in the budget for visionaries."

The next mayor will not be able to take on new projects so getting a visionary mayor would be pointless. A fiscally conservative mayor (who has a brain) is probably the best choice. The next opportunity to kick off projects will be in the term Dec 2014 - Nov 2018. I sure wouldn't want to be the mayor for the next four years because while there will start to be ribbon cuttings to open things started under Miller, the bulk of the work will be dealing with strikes and budget constraints. I think being the mayor kicking off projects is probably far more rewarding.

Back