News   Jul 31, 2024
 723     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 700     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 526     0 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

I hope he finished what he set out to do in terms of turning around LPC fundraising.

I just read that Kyle Rae is retiring and Glan Murray will be running to replace Smithermen, as MPP. I guess this means Enza Anderson will run to replace Rae on city council. Could be interesting. lol "Toronto - The Queen City" Indeed!

Funny, and I thought I was going to go for Tory without any hesitation.

But I'm very much liking the sound of this article:
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/737735--smitherman-promises-new-ideas-for-toronto

In particular, the bit about business property taxes ... I thought being on the liberal side he'd avoid the issue.

Rossi chaired Tory's 2003 campaign. It is difficult to see the right running two well-funded candidates, and even more difficult to see what possible critique each of these guys could have for the other given their shared (if unsuccessful) history.

I just can't see Tory running against Rossi. Maybe Rossi's just being a good liberal and running as a spoiler to clear the way for Smitherman?

Maybe he's doing this as a favour to Tory so Tory doesn't have to suffer the ignominy of losing again?

Inquiring minds are wondering how Warren Kinsella would survive trying to serve both the Tory and Rossi campaigns? He might have to clone himself. Ewwww.

By my count, this makes it Rossi vs. Smitherman on the main card, with the undercard consisting of Joey Pants (maybe Shelley Carroll or Giambrone) duking it out to represent the NDP vs. Minnan-Wong (maybe Thompson) from the hard right (I am deliberately discounting Mammoliti's and Ford's candidacies as irrelevant).

Provided the foregoing is correct (i.e. no Tory), I propose the following table of odds:

Furious George - 2 to 1 - Way in front in terms of grassroots organization and name recognition. Could still be undone by eHealth, Samsung, heroin addiciton and whatever other skeletons he's got in the closet.

Rocco Rossi - 4 to 1 - 5 weeks ago, I told someone that Rossi was a 150 to 1 longshot. "Rossi's name seems to crop up every few years because he's a political bagman and a local boy, but he has zero name recognition and there are too many other viable candidates with whom his candidacy would conflict. Still, based on connections alone, he needs to be mentioned. Who knows -- he could be next year's Stephen LeDrew, another former political bagman whose political dreams disintegrated at their first exposure to sunlight." In retrospect, I suppose I was mostly wrong, but we'll see how much the name recognition thing costs him. Even in a losing cause, if he plays his cards right, he might just get a bowtie and a CP24 job.

NDP candidate - 10 to 1 - As much as I like at least one of the names I mentioned above in the NDP slot, it's not going to happen for them this time around. This is strictly an exercise in name recognition building (for Carroll or Giambrone) and the NDP's need to keep its municipal muscles moving.

Sentient right-wing candidate - 15 to 1 - Plenty of support from The Sun and 680 News will only guarantee the favour of the knuckle-dragging 20%, many of whom don't vote. Rossi would have to crash and burn AND Tory would have to decline to step into his shoes for Minnan-Wong/Thompson to have much of a shot.

Rob Ford vs. Georgio Mammoliti - too gross to watch; plus, it's a sequel to their earlier rumble-in-the-saucer, and sequels always suck.

Agreed....

"I don't think a black mayor would do anything for these issues. Leadership on these issues has to come from within the black community." A very true statement and accurate. Only from within can any community overcome it's problems that simply cannot be fixed by outside intervention.

Im kind of sad to hear that Kyle Rae wont be running as councilor in the upcoming municipal elections.:(

After the Yonge + Dundas expropriation debacle where he was wrong to choose the very incompetent PenEquity to develop the Metropolis and Torch sites and careless to leave out a clause on a construction deadline.

His actions and inactions caused Canada's busiest intersection to be clad in blue hoarding and cracked sidewalks for an entire decade and still after the wait, 15 years later both buildings have failed financially and architecturally under the chosen developer.

I'll give him Dundas Square though... but still he didn't finish the job (stage canopy).

This Rocco Rossi bid puzzles me--maybe because they're both bald, Liberal, and in their 40s, but it's like he and Smitherman cancel each other out...

After the Yonge + Dundas expropriation debacle where he was wrong to choose the very incompetent PenEquity to develop the Metropolis and Torch sites and careless to leave out a clause on a construction deadline.

His actions and inactions caused Canada's busiest intersection to be clad in blue hoarding and cracked sidewalks for an entire decade and still after the wait, 15 years later both buildings have failed financially and architecturally under the chosen developer.

I'll give him Dundas Square though... but still he didn't finish the job (stage canopy).

I find it hard to believe all of this rests on his shoulders ... surely there were many ... if not hundreds of other players / individuals involved here. Who's to say he was behind every single detail or he even had control of it!

The point here is the majority of people wouldn't view this as 'his fault' moreover the majority of people wouldn't even know what was wrong! Most people I talk to regarding Y&D like it as is and have completely forgotten about the construction woes by now. Not seeing the initial design concepts factors into this a lot too.

The point is, I don't think ANY of this effects his ability to be reelected. Maybe there are / were other issues.

This Rocco Rossi bid puzzles me--maybe because they're both bald, Liberal, and in their 40s, but it's like he and Smitherman cancel each other out...

So he takes votes from Smitherman, and he is an associate and friend of John Tory. What does that sound like?

Some of us need to spell it out.

Last edited:

Back