News   Aug 01, 2024
 177     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 806     0 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

John Tory versus Glen Murray would be an interesting race. Murray has the advantage of being a fresh face, where Tory carries a lot of baggage. Plus, Murray has experience giving victory speeches on election night, where Tory would just have to rely on notes from others.

I don't think eHealth is enough to take Smitherman out of the race, though. The whole scandal will be a distant memory come January, and Caplan is the fall guy.

Surely we need someone with council experience. John Tory has already demonstrated his failures ... and anyone who comes up with a bizarre scheme to build incinerators in Toronto scares me. Smitherman just doesn't strike me as the thoughtful and well-rounded person you need in the job - and given the corruption being uncovered daily at the Ministry he was running when it all happened ... I can't see that flying. And whose this Murray guy ... I can't imagine someone from out of town, who just moved here, has a chance.

Pigs do fly.

Miller may jump back in the race with the ehealth scandal sullying Smitherman.

Don't kid yourselves thinking that ehealth will be forgotten by fall of 2010. There are enough enemies of Dalton/George to keep this scandal alive. The "Teflon George" nickname may be oh so 2 days ago now, whether or not Caplan is the fall guy.

The landscape may have just shifted back in a major sort of way. A Miller/Tory rematch?

I don't think eHealth is enough to take Smitherman out of the race, though. The whole scandal will be a distant memory come January, and Caplan is the fall guy.

I would not bet on that one bit! People will remember this scandal for quite some time and if not, other candidates would constantly bring it up in their platforms. This is a major issue!!

Also, Smitherman's aides might advise him not to spend the energy and money (which is substantial) to run for Mayor as his chance for victory might be slim

Last edited:
Miller may jump back in the race with the ehealth scandal sullying Smitherman.
I doubt it ... he might be regretting dropping out, but I can't imagine that he'd jump back in. Not unless there was a huge draft Miller campaign.

By 2010 the public will be all riled up about HST.

Then by the provincial election in 2011, it will be about how Tim Hudak is the next Mike Harris and this will mean the Liberals will have a stranglehold on Toronto.

By 2010 the public will be all riled up about HST.
Will they? That was what the pundits were saying about that by-election a couple of weeks ago ... and the end result was it had no impact.

I just can't see getting riled up about replacing two taxes of 13% with a single tax of 13%.

And if I did, I can't see the Tories getting much support because of it ... their sudden opposition to a GST doesn't seem sincere, given the whole Ontario HST was dreamed up by a former provincial Tory finance minister!

Will they? That was what the pundits were saying about that by-election a couple of weeks ago ... and the end result was it had no impact.

Mind you the by-election took place in the riding of St Paul, which is made up of mostly middle to upper income households who could afford new taxes or an increase in taxes and prices. You need to hear how the HST would affect those living in places such as Jane & Finch, St. Jamestown, Lawrence Heights, etc.

Last edited:
Glen Murray vs John Tory would be a dream. Both of them seem normal, centrist and more likely to be competent at running a big organization like the city. With our luck it will be Peggy Nash vs Olivia Chow.

You need to hear how the HST would affect those living in places such as Jane & Finch, St. Jamestown, Lawrence Heights, etc.
HST is a consumption tax; the poorest people not only pay far less, because they don't spend money on all the services that would be taxed; they will qualify for a tax credit.

And given the Liberal's share of the vote was higher than the 2009 by-election than the 2007 general election, when by-elections generally show a reduction in the governing power's vote, I'd say that the HST is a complete non-issue.

No moronic Conservatives perhaps....but I would love a Conservative mayor for once....
I concur. My property taxes are now 40% higher than they were ten years ago in 1999 (most of the increase coming on Miller's watch), I now pay extra fees for garbage collection, 400% increase in fees for front pad parking (over 1999 rates), and now the Miller Tax on automobile license renewal.

In return for all this increase in taxation what have we received over those ten years? Bike lanes clogging up the roads, significant increases in wages for city council and the unions.

I want a mayor who will keep tax increases to the rate of inflation and reduce spending when costs exceed inflation. That means wage rollbacks for everyone if necessary. They're called public servants, so it's time they listen to those they serve.

I concur. My property taxes are now 40% higher than they were ten years ago in 1999 (most of the increase coming on Miller's watch), I now pay extra fees for garbage collection, 400% increase in fees for front pad parking (over 1999 rates), and now the Miller Tax on automobile license renewal.
And yet our taxes are still lower than most of the suburbs with their more Conservative councils.

Clearly one shouldn't be considering front pad parking as part of this. The whole idea is telling people that parking in their front yard is wrong, and stop them doing it. Are you going to complain about an increase in speeding tickets above the inflation is increased taxation?

It's always been normal to increase the tax rates of things that are considered socially unacceptable faster than inflation.

It's always been normal to increase the tax rates of things that are considered socially unacceptable faster than inflation.
I'm not entering a debate on parking, but property taxes in Toronto are reaching well above inflation due to continuous increases in the mill rate since Miller took over and increased housing value assessments from the city. I have no intention of ever selling my house, so its increased value is of no issue to me, but I worry that the increased taxation from a succession of Miller-types will push me out of my home in my retirement years.

I'm all for paying for a working city, and value our police, firefighters, and most of the services of the bureaucracy, but we need a mayor that keeps costs under control. Giving the citizens of Toronto the best service for the best value should be the motto.

Last edited:
I'm not entering a debate on parking, but property taxes in Toronto are reaching well above inflation due to continuous increases in the mill rate since Miller took over and increased housing value assessments from the city. I have no intention of ever selling my house, so its increased value is of no issue to me, but I worry that the increased taxation from a succession of Miller-types will push me out of my home in my retirement years.

I'm all for paying for a working city, and value our police, firefighters, and most of the services of the bureaucracy, but we need a mayor that keeps costs under control. Giving the citizens of Toronto the best service for the best value should be the motto.

Wasn't it a provincial agency (MPAC) that increased the "housing value assessments", not "the City"?

In terms of fixing the structural deficit, the biggest priority is getting our policing costs under control, but that would require getting our police under control, which, in turn, would require systemic changes to our justice system, so I don't think it's likely.

In the meantime, let's pretend it's Miller's fault.

Glen Murray vs John Tory would be a dream. Both of them seem normal, centrist and more likely to be competent at running a big organization like the city. With our luck it will be Peggy Nash vs Olivia Chow.

Nash versus Chow?!? The only thing more absurd that that would be a race between Jack Layton and Olivia Chow, if you get my drift...

Back