News   Aug 01, 2024
 185     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 815     0 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

I heard here live in the morning on the radio and it was an embaressment.

If a great deal of councilors are silly and delusional like here, I can see why City Hall is so backwards...

So what happened to it being an imperative to have high salaries and good pensions in order to attract well qualified candidates to political office?

In this case, a refund is in order!

The Milleristas are going crazy now that they are losing their leader. Miller needs to anoint a preferred successor who they can rally around.

Gahh... Just when I though City Council couldn't get any stupider. If Bussin had anything approaching dignity she would resign and stop making the City pay her legal bills.

Olivia Chow: God help us all.

Adam Giambrone: I get the feeling Giambrone is reasonably smart, but at the moment he just seems like a bit of a Miller follower. Maybe when he gets older he will take more of an original stance on things, as it is though I don't see the point of electing a Miller redux.

Jack Layton: See Chow, Olivia.

Adam Vaughan: I don't think he has any interest in running. He is almost stereotypically ignorant of north of Bloor Toronto and doesn't seem interested in much beyond noise complaints in his Ward. He is probably smart enough that if he wanted to broaden his horizons he could take a run, I just don't think he is interested.

Shelley Carroll. Dunno enough about her. I've always been under the impression that bureaucrats aren't very good at winning office. Their jobs sort of requires them to be dispassionate with things which is a disadvantage.

Michael (Pinball) Clemons. Why does this keep popping up? Has he ever given a single political statement in his life? People don't even really like the Argos.

Glen Murray. His tenure in Winnipeg seems succesful enough. It wasn't exactly mind blowing, though. He is a neat measuring post, a former NDP cum Liberal in Winnipeg. If he ran here though, the Sandra Bussin's would be defaming him as a right wing lunatic for having cut taxes, one can only assume by liquidating squeegee kids and selling their constituent chemicals to soap plants in China.

Robert Prichard. If Metrolinx didn't suck so hard I might take this more seriously.

Denzil Minnan-Wong. I get the feeling more liberal Councilors feel the need to attach a sort of populist slant to their positions, which I think is holding back people like Wong. Contrary to NDP lore, most Torontonians hate taxes. You don't have to wrap the idea of tax cuts in Rob Ford esque populism for Torontonians to like them.

Karen Stintz. Same deal as Wong, but drop the NIMBYism as well. It is just stupid.

Michael Thompson. What are his policies?

John Tory. 20th time is a charm?

I can't help but feel most of these people suck. It is sort of dissapointing the largest, most diverse, most multicultural most whatever city in Canada can only attract such a sorry list of demagogues and idiots. At the risk of extrapolating my views to the City as a whole, most people want something like common sense.* That has Mike Harris connotations, but I would imagine even Gary Doers would look at City Hall and start crying. Even if you are going to take a more left-wing bent on things, it would be nice to focus on issues like systemic budget shortfalls as opposed to legislating idiotic garbage systems, trying to ban drive thoughs, trying to mandate green roofs and socializing food carts. You can be progressive and still have common sense.

Councillor Sandra Bussin outed as mystery phone-in caller bashing John Tory, lauding David Miller

The speaker of Toronto council apologized today for calling potential mayoral candidate John Tory’s phone-in radio show last Friday to slag him as a “three-time loser,” refusing to identify herself and denying, when asked, that she works for city.
Kind of dumb ... though she did give her first name, and she's pretty recognizable ... is there a requirement to give one's full name?

By definition a councillor doesn't work for the city; so I don't see that's anything but a red herring.

Bussin is the councillor for my ward, and personally I think she works very well and very hard for the people in her ward. I've always found her office very responsive on issues from the smallest (someone took my green bin), to major zoning and transit issues (just look at what she's pushed on the 501 issues in her ward). I've been to a few public meetings she's chaird, and she's always seemed very reasonable and pragmatic.

But why are we discussing her here? She's given no indication of running for Mayor.

Last edited:
Whoaccio for mayor!

Why not Whoaccio for mayor?

You're on the ball when it comes to describing the possible canidates.

You wouldn't want me for mayor - I would pay down the city mortgage, and pay cash for things. Apparently that's not the right way to run finances in government. "Borrow for what you don't need, spend what you don't have."... is the motto sung by those in government.

I talked with Adam Vaughan last week and he said he has no interest in running...

"Why run? All that extra work for what, the same number of votes in council?"

But who knows, right? Although he seemed pretty honest about it.

By the way...great dude, he really knows what he is talking about. I wouldn't mind seeing him run at all.

Michael (Pinball) Clemons. Why does this keep popping up? Has he ever given a single political statement in his life? People don't even really like the Argos.
Hmmm........
1. CFL, Eskimos at Roughriders, Sunday Sept. 20, TSN: 1,127,000

2. CFL, Stampeders at Tiger-Cats, Friday, TSN: 863,000

3. NFL, Patriots at Jets, Sunday, CTV: 852,000

4. NFL, Colts at Dolphins, Monday, TSN: 741,000

5. CFL, Blue Bombers at Alouettes, Sunday, TSN: 687,000

6. NFL, Giants at Cowboys, Sunday, TSN: 647,000*

7. CFL, Argonauts at Lions, Saturday, TSN: 634,000

8. NFL, Late afternoon games, Sunday, Sportsnet/City: 532,000

9. Equestrian, Show jumping, Saturday, CBC: 361,000

10. Baseball, Blue Jays at Rays, Friday, Sportsnet: 327,000

11. Baseball, Blue Jays at Rays, Saturday, Sportsnet: 297,000

12. Auto racing, NASCAR Sylvania 300, Sunday, TSN2: 243,000**

13. Soccer, Portsmouth at Aston Villa, Saturday, Sportsnet: 175,000

14. Auto racing, IRL Japan, Sunday, TSN: 142,000

* Viewers for NBC not calculated

** Viewers for ABC not calculated
There goes another myth shattered, and that's with the Argos sucking canal water this season.

And he's not running next year.

Kind of dumb ... though she did give her first name, and she's pretty recognizable ... is there a requirement to give one's full name?
No, but it's expected that politicians will represent themselves honestly in any public forum such as a call-in show.
By definition a councillor doesn't work for the city; so I don't see that's anything but a red herring.

Bussin is the councillor for my ward, and personally I think she works very well and very hard for the people in her ward.
So she's paid directly and solely by your ward?

But why are we discussing her here? She's given no indication of running for Mayor.
Her name's been casually thrown around once or twice, but she certainly won't run now after that embarrassing stunt.

No, but it's expected that politicians will represent themselves honestly in any public forum such as a call-in show.
Agreed ... and judging by her apology by councity she would also agree that she didn't meet expectations.

So she's paid directly and solely by your ward?
... of course not. But she doesn't work for the city. She is not a city worker. I can't see how there's a debate there ... however she certainly shouldn't have said that ... if she had answered at all, she should have added "but I'm a councillor".

It is indeed hard to tell if Shelly Carroll would be a good mayor because her lips are always pressed firmly on Miller's ass and never offers her own ideas

Last edited:
funny how all the rats from Millers inner circle is jumping ship,isnt there ONE person in Toronto that knows about fiscal policies and standing up against unions that will run for mayor.Can Lastman run again,hell I vote for him.

Back