News   Aug 01, 2024
 237     0 
News   Aug 01, 2024
 334     1 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 1.5K     0 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

Seriously...who would have thought Miller would not seek a third term? I expect anything to happen and that includes Pantalone taking a shot at the Mayor's seat

The more I think about it, the more I remember the details that got me to think that Pantalone might run.

In the leadup to the 2006 election, Joe was asked if it were his time to run. He said -- paraphrasing here -- I will support Mayor Miller on his re-election.

He didn't say he had no aspirations for the Mayor's office, nor did he say he wouldn't run if Miller were not running. It just came across as the only obstacle for him running was having Miller in the chair.

Joe Pantalone reminds me of Dilton Doily, for some reason.

Of course, there's one person who, until the last month, would have been at the front of the speculative mayoral-contender pack...Michael Bryant...

I don't mean to sound like an absolute transit nerd (I'm not!!) but transit is really my most important issue with this election. The region's just got a massive amount of government funding, and I get the feeling that the province would be happy to give more to projects that need it. And Miller's throwing it all down the drain for his LRT plan with not a subway or form of higher order transit in sight. We desperately need a mayor who will take Transit City by the horns and steer it in the right direction for the next election.

Just responding to something on page 37, because it slipped by me two weeks ago...

Mississauga's population growth has been well under 1% per year for the better half of a decade. "Significantly more" indeed.

Affectionately speaking, Thorsell's too much of an old queen to be anything but a mayoral-race novelty item. Speaking of which, maybe Reginald Dwight can run for mayor of Caledon...

Actually, I wasn't suggesting that Thorsell would be pondering a run for Mayor; instead I was reflecting on two seemingly brilliant and high-profile people calling it quits on the same day. I feel that Thorsell has been felled by his flaws in a similar manner to Miller. More than anything else there is the popularly held belief that Miller was quite unamused with Thorsell's ROM makeover. Interesting timing (and that's all).

There were suggestions in the last election that Thorsell was considering a run. He wisely did not run. Essentially he is not Torontonian, spending most of his weekends in Caledon. Being mayor is an 8-day-a-week job.

More reflection after this weekend of ink about Miller (especially the Globe's write ups) -- granted I feel he was his own worst enemy, but there is a whole lot about this Miller guy that I am going to miss. Imagine having someone around with some city-wide visions! John and George have a tough act follow in that respect. And that Tory guy seems so very bland.

I don't mean to sound like an absolute transit nerd (I'm not!!) but transit is really my most important issue with this election. The region's just got a massive amount of government funding, and I get the feeling that the province would be happy to give more to projects that need it. And Miller's throwing it all down the drain for his LRT plan with not a subway or form of higher order transit in sight. We desperately need a mayor who will take Transit City by the horns and steer it in the right direction for the next election.

i like transit city because it connects a lot of high-density low-income areas to subway routes...but you are right, downtown got SCREWED. give them a DRL.

Councillor Sandra Bussin outed as mystery phone-in caller bashing John Tory, lauding David Miller

The speaker of Toronto council apologized today for calling potential mayoral candidate John Tory’s phone-in radio show last Friday to slag him as a “three-time loser,†refusing to identify herself and denying, when asked, that she works for city.

Read more: http://network.nationalpost.com/np/...as-mystery-phone-in-caller.aspx#ixzz0Se4MG2fO

I heard here live in the morning on the radio and it was an embaressment.

If a great deal of councilors are silly and delusional like here, I can see why City Hall is so backwards...

Back