News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.2K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 809     0 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

OK the posts stating the results of a supposed poll gave me a heart attack. I'm a bit confused, but I reckon there is NOT a new (official,legit) poll out today, right?

MetroMan mentioned earlier that one might be released at 8 tonight.

Whether you are straight or gay the decision to get married IS a choice. No one is born to be married. Lots of Gay men CHOOSE to never get married. Smithermans decision to marry his boyfriend can be considered a "lifestyle choice". Nothing to get worked up over.
Not once have I ever heard someone congratulate another over their marriage, talking about their "lifestyle choice".

The use of such language only demonstrates the bigotry of the people who use such language. To suggest otherwise only tells me that you don't support gay marriage.

Its funny that now that the truth is out and we now know that Rob Ford had nothing to do with the Tamil ad
How do we know this, because Ford denied it? Ford also denied earlier this year being arrested for drunk driving ... and that turned out to be a lie (not only was he arrested, he had been convicted!). Ford denied ever attending the Maple Leafs game where he was thrown out for his drunken attack of some fans ... and this turned out to be a lie.

It's without question that Ford frequently lies when he has done something wrong. His word that he had nothing to do with it clearly means nothing. I'm not saying he was behind it ... but if the only proof that the Ford camp had no involvement is the word of Rob Ford, then there is no proof.

Further to my last post note how uneducated Smitherman sounds in his response " I’d say it directly and frontally – not in any backstabbing way" His grade 10 education is showing through.
Hang on ... your attacking Smitherman for not being educated? Really? If you were supporting a well-educated candidate, I could see it. But your supporting Rob Ford. Smitherman didn't try to get a university education. Ford DID try, but dropped out. I don't see that Ford looks any better on this than Smitherman.

MetroMan mentioned earlier that one might be released at 8 tonight.
I don't see much point in any media outlets releasing polls at this point.

I assume that the newspapers wouldn't be publishing new polls in election day itself. And we've already passed the evening newscasts ... there isn't any local news until quite late tonight.

I think we're done.

Though Forum Research phoned me this afternoon ... not sure who they are working for ... and I didn't get a chance to hear their questions, as I was in the middle of repairing my phone wiring, and it was impossible to to carry out a conversation over the static.

nfitz.. Are you a married gay man?
How is that of any relevance to the discussion?

Though it's pretty easy to figure out, if you look at my past posts, and note the pronouns I've used, if I tell you I'm male.

The issue here isn't my sexual preference.

The issue is that Rob Ford is a homophobe, and is opposed to gay marriage. As such he is a vile bigot.

No person like this should ever hold public office. And anyone who votes for him, aware of his bigotry is also a bigot.

That is the issue.

Quoted for pure awesomeness:
Not once have I ever heard someone congratulate another over their marriage, talking about their "lifestyle choice".

The use of such language only demonstrates the bigotry of the people who use such language. To suggest otherwise only tells me that you don't support gay marriage.

How do we know this, because Ford denied it? Ford also denied earlier this year being arrested for drunk driving ... and that turned out to be a lie (not only was he arrested, he had been convicted!). Ford denied ever attending the Maple Leafs game where he was thrown out for his drunken attack of some fans ... and this turned out to be a lie.

It's without question that Ford frequently lies when he has done something wrong. His word that he had nothing to do with it clearly means nothing. I'm not saying he was behind it ... but if the only proof that the Ford camp had no involvement is the word of Rob Ford, then there is no proof.

Thank you.

It's hard to say which way it will go. I knocked on over 400 doors today. The Ford supporters are inflexible (as expected), and the Smitherman supporters are tepid to strong supporters. Generally, most agreed with me that this is fundamentally about reasonable people choosing a reasonable candidate. Rob Ford offers anger, but zero substance.

This is George, summarized perfectly by a well-written letter to the Star:

Smitherman fought for voiceless

I can’t tell you how tired I am hearing progressive Torontonians talking about how George Smitherman and Rob Ford are practically the same or that Smitherman is the “lesser of two evils.†Nothing could be further from the truth. From personal experience as a longtime housing activist and as a parent, I can assure you that progressives can safely vote for Smitherman without holding their noses.

Just like thousands of other Torontonians, my son Kenny struggled with mental illness, living on the street, lost and hopeless. What he needed was help and thankfully we were able to find it. When Smitherman was minister of health, he expanded supportive housing to those suffering from mental illness and addiction. This allowed Kenny to move into a home with supports where his recovery empowered him to work again. Today, my son contributes to our community. With Smitherman’s help, he went from receiving welfare to being a taxpayer.

Despite Furious George’s gruff exterior, he has a heart as big as Toronto. For years, low-income residents in St. Jamestown and Regent Park and psychiatric survivors all over Toronto have watched with gratitude as Smitherman listened to their concerns and ignored the NIMBYs who didn’t want them around. As a member of the McGuinty cabinet, he often advocated against his right-wing colleagues for the return of rent controls and other policies that would benefit the poor.

Smitherman has always fought for the voiceless because it was the right thing to do. I will cast my ballot proudly for him and I hope other progressives do the same.

Mark Shapiro, Toronto

A mayor who loves this city, who wants to build a transit system that connects our suburbs to our city. Like him or loathe him, he's a guy who loves Toronto. Disagree with him if you will. And believe me, there are ideological disagreements within Smitherman supporters, but they all support him because they believe our council needs him. They can work with him.

How is that of any relevance to the discussion?

Though it's pretty easy to figure out, if you look at my past posts, and note the pronouns I've used, if I tell you I'm male.

I feel like there is alot of bias on this forum against Rob Ford with the bigotry accusations. I think some posters have their blinders up and will simply believe anything positive and nothing negative when it comes to their candidate, and also vice versa for their nemisis candidate. Everybody believes they are right, no matter what. I'm pretty neutral with this, meaning I niether support Ford or Smitherman for mayor. Reading the biased opinions on this thread can be quite hilarious, both parties.

Further to my last post note how uneducated Smitherman sounds in his response " I’d say it directly and frontally – not in any backstabbing way" His grade 10 education is showing through.

What next? Peepers The Phrenologist?

I feel like there is alot of bias on this forum against Rob Ford with the bigotry accusations. I think some posters have their blinders up and will simply believe anything positive and nothing negative when it comes to their candidate, and also vice versa for their nemisis candidate. Everybody believes they are right, no matter what. I'm pretty neutral with this, meaning I niether support Ford or Smitherman for mayor. Reading the biased opinions on this thread can be quite hilarious, both parties.

A biased opinion or an opinion? Intrinsically, opinions obviously carry our own biases. Don't claim to be above that.

But the fact is, gay or straight, Rob Ford is a homophobe. You can use stronger words or weaker words to describe it, but that's his core belief.

Back