News   Jul 30, 2024
 449     3 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.2K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 542     0 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

did anybody see the cover of today's sun? it says something to the effect that pantalone said smitherman would be a worse mayor than ford.

can anybody shed some light on this? i just captured a quick glance. i was afraid that if i looked too long, i might go blind (it being the sun and all). ;)

I was going to post something about this but you've beaten me to it; I passed a Sun box on my way to Y and saw the headline .. couldn't believe it! So I went inside a variety store, read the article, and put the rag back (ooohh, nope, I wouldn't buy the damned thing).

It's vile of Pantalone to pull off this sort of schtick. With this latest tidbit, I suspect he's losing it, or, it's sour grapes of one sort or another. I thought he had Toronto's interests in mind, at least -- not his own interests. And I thought Pantalone would be the least likely to sling that kind of mud around. I think the guy should just back off and back out.

Oh, yeah, I washed my hands really quickly after handling The Sun.

And I thought Pantalone would be the least likely to sling that kind of mud around. I think the guy should just back off and back out.

dude.. i guess you've never dealt with Pantalone... he's NOTORIOUS for being the dirtiest backdoor/twofaced dude around.

At least Smitherman and Ford, you'll see them coming...

Pants, in classic NDP style will stick it to anyone and everyone necessary to reach his goal..

Again, the dippers continue to put interest of themselves ahead of Toronto...All this outcry of anyone but Ford, they just knocked 5 points off Smitherman, and that means widening the gap...

Edit:
Advanced polls of this weekend will tell all!

Last edited:
I'm finding more and more previous Ford supporters now leaning away from him. Some don't know who to vote for but they know they now don't want Ford to be Mayor. Is it possible that this won't be reflected in the polls?

I don't know what to think any more because the polls have defied all expectations. I mean Rob Ford.. really? Lying scandal? No effect. Arrest scandal? No effect. Embarrassing grade 2 level reading videos? No effect. Every newspaper, including the Toronto Sun calling Rob Ford's platform bullshit? No effect.

Is this even possible? If the next poll doesn't show some dramatic drop in Ford's numbers, the only reasonable explanation is that this is all black magic.

CFRB is claiming they have the results of the latest poll and will release it at 4:00 p.m. today. Lots of surprises (so they say).

Oooh speculation time!

It will be a race to finish when it's all said and done on October 25th.

Newstalk 1010 has commissioned a poll from Ipsos-Ried regarding the municipal election and the number shows the final days leading up to the election will matter.

The results will be revealed this afternoon during the four o'clock news before the Live Drive with John Tory.

This comes just a week before the last debate of the election taht will be taking place next week during the Live Drive with John Tory, with the frontrunners facing tough questions that need to be answered.

Oooh speculation time!

I'm going to say that Rocco has moved to tight 2nd place between Smithers and Ford....

FYI.. if john Tory will endorse anyone, it would be Rossi...

you heard it here first!

Last edited:
Lot's of surprises? Rossi up for the first time or Joe now ahead of Smitherman? Those would be surprises.

Ford being down shouldn't come as a surprise. Increasing his lead would be defying reality.

js97: I don't think Tory would endorse a competitor to his sons. However, I agree that he would be more in line with Rossi.

If both Smitherman and Ford are between 30 and 40, the pressure on Rossi and Pants to drop out will be intense.

Why would they drop out at this point? There's a week to go. They've already put in the money on their campaigns and made their media buys. They just need to coast to election day at this point. Rossi in particular has been very vocal about staying in. Pants wouldn't drop out if he had 1% and even if he did, he couldn't endorse Smitherman anyway, considering how he's been highly critical of him in the past few weeks.

I'd rather Rossi not drop out actually. What Ralph Nadar was to Al Gore is what Pantalone is to Smitherman, but more importantly what Rossi is to Ford. Both Smitherman and Ford have their own Nadar's. They're cancelling each other out anyway.

Pants wouldn't drop out if he had 1% and even if he did, he couldn't endorse Smitherman anyway, considering how he's been highly critical of him in the past few weeks.

Stranger things have happened.

Rossi's former campaign manager (S. Aggarwal) that spent the entire first 6 months hammering Smitherman is now on board with Geroge... so who knows... lol..

Is this the first poll since Sarah Thomson's drop out???

The Ipsos Reid poll conducted for Newstalk 1010 shows George Smitherman is now leading the pack, even if it's only with a slight edge. He now has 31 percent support, skyrocketing up eight points from a few weeks ago, overtaking front-runner Rob Ford, who has 30 per cent. Joe Pantalone is a distant third with 15 per cent support and Rocco Rossi falls further behind with three per cent support. 25 per cent are undecided.

OUCH Rossi is dead.

Interrrrrrresting. This bit is odd:

However, things aren't as neck-and-neck when considering those who will actually go out and vote on election day, with Smitherman has 38 percent support. Ford trails by six points, followed by, again, Pantalone and Rossi. 17 per cent are undecided.

Is the first number 'decided' and the second 'likely'? Are Ford supporters just not going to get around to voting?

Back