News   Jul 25, 2024
 760     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 678     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 509     0 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

Urbandreamer, you changed your tune. I thought you were all excited about Ford? I can't believe you'd abandon your great white hope that fast. I thought you were a member of the Tea-bag Party? Those guys never abandon their people, no matter what stupid thing their candidates do or say. Come on, where's your loyalty?

Last edited:
Do you know how (year of) tiger's operate? Hidden agendas. :D

It's always amusing to draw a crowd, get them all hot and bothered, then go my own way. :)

Without the RF thread, the politics section of UT would be a bore! RF doesn't need to be mayor--he needs his own FOX tv show! (As do I of course. :D I'm working on it....)

Last edited:
Nfitz: I actually agree with some--not all--of RF's platform. One of my friend's is close friends with his family although I don't know him at all. But, I think he's misunderstood, or more likely, like me, loves attention. The real folks behind him are small to medium-sized business folk, many from ethnic minorities.... Sure, some white folk support him, but then how did Obama win the election again?

So, overall I'm torn between RF and ST--but because I'm lazy, and may in fact be working for Elections Toronto on election day, I probably won't bother to vote. Besides, I'm not a homeowner--so really none of the issues affect my life.

RF vs Smitherman? I'll take RF in a heart beat. (Since I know all politicians are huge liars--look at Obama for example--there's nothing to fear from any of them. Which one would you rather read about though? Comedian vs. bore?)

Last edited:
At this point in 2003, Barbara Hall was way ahead, the race hers to lose. Then the public started tuning in to the debates and John Laschinger's brilliance made a little known councillor with "great hair" the new Mayor of Toronto. I have faith that the candidates with policy in tune with the majority of Torontonians will begin to stand out. Thomson seems to fit the role. She's been under covered and under estimated by the media. It's possible that Miller's story will be repeated again.

Great Hair? That's so 2003. "2010: Thomson. Great legs." :)

At best, Thomson's the Martha Hall Findlay of the race, not the David Miller.

New Ipsos reid poll commissioned by National Post/Global/Newstalk 1010 - full details tomorrow - shows:

Ford 32%
Smitherman 21%
Thomson 10%
Pantalone 9%
Rossi 7%
Undecided 21%

Nothing too surprising there - what's interesting is that apparently the poll also shows that if David Miller were in the race, he'd be the front runner.

Wiow ...

What were the polling dates? How much of the polling was from the period before it came out that Ford had attemped to bribe a police officer, been charged with drug possesion, been convicted of DUI, and fraudunlently collected funds while a councillor?

Hmm, Miller would be front runner ... well that dismisses the whole Ford as anti-Miller I guess ... I guess if Miller starts campaigning for one of the current candidates, that might swing things ...

Wiow ...

What were the polling dates? How much of the polling was from the period before it came out that Ford had attemped to bribe a police officer, been charged with drug possesion, been convicted of DUI, and fraudunlently collected funds while a councillor?

Hmm, Miller would be front runner ... well that dismisses the whole Ford as anti-Miller I guess ... I guess if Miller starts campaigning for one of the current candidates, that might swing things ...

The poll was conducted this past weekend. Well after all the press on Ford.

Really interested to see more detail on the poll, but my quick take is:

a) It was fairly obvious that Ford's support at around 30% of decided is rock solid; he could strangle a woman on live television and still maintain this level of support.

b) The support for Miller as a hypothetical candidate means that there is still a strong progressive bloc in this city that is thus far unable to find a candidate they give a shit about. Put plainly, all this "The city is a sinking ship and we must be fiscally conservative supermen to fix it" rhetoric is not connecting with voters beyond those that would support Rob Ford anyways.

c) Ford's a longshot to win no matter how you shake it. All it would take to put things at a dead heat would be for one of Pantalone, Rossi or Thomson to drop out and back Smitherman. The calculus for a Ford victory in October requires that no candidates drop out, that the undecideds stay home or break for Ford, and that Budget Cutting At All Costs remains the only resonant theme of this election.

Back