News   Jul 25, 2024
 734     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 660     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 504     0 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

You simply do not get it that this has nothing to do with whether I think Ford's the best person for the job, but everything to do with how terribly David Miller and his deputy has turned this city for the worse IMO, and how detrimental George Smitherman has been to the Province of Ontario. If Sarah Thomson or even Rossi were credible options at this point, I would be inclined to vote for one of them (their views are largely representative of John Tory's after all); but the way things are going, if I had to choose between a City Councillor who has been consistent in his opposition to Miller's outlandish and fiscally irresponsible schemes, a NDP benchwarmer and yes-man, and Smitherfraud... well...

Someday I want to open your skull up and see what the hell is going on in there. So many conflicting views...you're fascinating.

You rabidly defend (and promote) Ford, seemingly 24/7, and you don't even think he would make a good mayor? He's not even your first choice? WTF dude!?! Stop trying to justify a bad vote! Rossi and Thomson are only as irrelevant as we make them. If you think they're the best candidates, why not expend some energy in promoting (or defending) their candidacies?

I've seen you do elementary math in the transit section. Ford's shit doesn't add up...it's not even close to being close, and you know it. Stop being a tool and fight for something you actually believe in.

FYI, ROssi has the political machine behind him to make it happen.

Anyone that believes elections aren't 'manufactured' should get more involved in politics.

Do you think that Miller would consider running for re-election if the possibility of Rob Ford as Mayor (and destroying Miller's legacy) became inevitable unless he ran? Do you think that Miller would win?

His reasons for not running are to spend time with his family. However, I think that the thought of his life's work -- 2 terms as Mayor of Toronto -- being undone in under a year by the kind of policies Rob Ford says he would follow could make him reconsider.

Could he win? I think that many people, presented with the option of Rob Ford or David Miller would pick the incumbent.

Your thoughts?

It won't happen. Miller is not slimy enough to backtrack on a pledge to his family just for another four years of moderacy. I still think people are counting out Joe Pantalone way too early. Pantalone has campaign genius John Laschinger on his side, whose Miller 2003 campaign is revered by political strategists of all stripes. Heck, if the slate remains the same come October, Pantalone, or the eventual winner, would need as little as 30% of the vote to win.

Last edited:
If you let polls decide the election, might as well give ford his mayoral crown.

Only poll that matters is the on on october 25 ;)

Sure, poll numbers can change, but Rossi's hanging out in the single digits consistently across all polls, while only one widely discredited poll shows Ford with any kind of lead. Rossi's team would need to be all kinds of magic to even get to the ~25% range where he could conceivably pull off a squeaker.

I've just read Smitherman's platform and I would be mostly satisfied with him as Mayor. His ideas of "Services first" are the right way to go and he seems intent on loosening the grip the unions have on our city. If the polls keep up with Ford ahead and Smitherman in 2nd, I'll jump ship from my current pick: Joe Pantalone. I suspect many other voters will as well.

FYI, Smitherman has been bleeding votes since he decided to run. what makes you think he can turn it around?

FYI, Smitherman has been bleeding votes since he decided to run. what makes you think he can turn it around?

how is he bleeding votes? Didn't you just say like 5 posts above that the only thing that matters is the final polls on Election day?

yep you did:
If you let polls decide the election, might as well give ford his mayoral crown.

Only poll that matters is the on on october 25 ;)

I'm gonna go with the Antonia Zerbisias stance: Polls aren't news.

Sure, poll numbers can change, but Rossi's hanging out in the single digits consistently across all polls, while only one widely discredited poll shows Ford with any kind of lead. Rossi's team would need to be all kinds of magic to even get to the ~25% range where he could conceivably pull off a squeaker.

Well, let's hope polls don't change too fast. Hopefully, it will be after September 10th, when it will be too late for Ford to run back to council. This way we can get rid of at least one Ford. They say his brother is even louder and more right wing, so we wont get off that easy. Could the good people of Etobicoke actually vote against a Ford? That's probably too much to ask for.

Now something completely different: Privatization of Infrastructure

Interesting article in the , which uses the name of Toronto in vain.

Chicago’s Parking Fiasco Fails to Stem Calls for Privatization of Infrastructure

Who knew an investment in public infrastructure could be so profitable? Or rather, are government entities being bamboozled out of the value of their own property?

About two years ago, Chicago Mayor Richard Daley sold off the rights to 75 years of his city’s public parking meters for $1.15 billion to a partnership of private companies led by Morgan Stanley. Mayor Daley pushed the city council to approve the deal, since it would mean a huge cash infusion into a municipal government facing large budgetary shortfalls. And he argued that putting the parking system in the hands of private enterprise would bring in market-based pricing, essential to improve the circulation and distribution of automobiles in the city’s downtown, but impossible to implement because of a lack of political will.

Bloomberg News, however, revealed last week that the private partnership that bought up the spaces expects to generate at least $11.6 billion in revenues over the course of the contract — producing a potential profit of $9.58 billion, twice what some anti-Daley city council staffers predicted in 2008 the city would lose by selling off the meters (an amount that at the time was considered outrageously high). Chicago, meanwhile, has virtually exhausted the initial funds it received from the deal, having done little to adapt to its local government funding shortfalls.

This situation should put a chill in the spine of those who believe that privatization of public infrastructure will benefit the public pocketbook. And it should be a lesson for politicians who advocate balancing the budget in the short-term through the sale of assets that generate income over the long-term.

Yet the City of Chicago continues to consider the leasing out to private corporations of its Midway Airport. Major candidates running for mayor in Toronto are actively discussing the possibility of privatizing parts of that city’s transit system.

And on the other side of the world, Britain’s new conservative government is hyping the lease-off of the 68-mile High-Speed 1 rail line completed in 2007 at a cost to the government of £6 billion. On Tuesday, between two and six investors submitted their final bids (currently undisclosed) for the 30-year concession that officials expect to bring in between £1.5 and 2 billion, enough to aid the cost-cutting government in reducing its deficit.

Evidence from Chicago suggests that if investors are willing to put up £2 billion now, they are likely to make several times that amount over the course of the contract. In other words, by selling off the rights to High-Speed 1, the British government may get a big boost immediately but find itself yearning for more funds several years out. What makes this agreement particularly galling is that the U.K. already had to bail out the (private) constructor of High-Speed 1 and if the private operation that runs the line eventually faces financial difficulties, the government will likely have to do something similar again, just as it has done repeatedly since the recession began.

That’s because when it comes to public infrastructure, the public seems always to take in the losses even as private companies reap out increasing profits.

Moreover, by agreeing to lease out the line, the government basically abandons any hope of using the program for the benefit of the greater good. Granting control of the infrastructure to a profit-motivated enterprise basically ensures putting existing operators in financial trouble. The infrastructure owner seems likely to demand high usage fees, and these may make the provision of low fares more difficult. Is this in the general interest of the public?

Nonetheless, I do not want to suggest that there can be no appropriate role for private entities in the construction and management of public infrastructure. But it may make more sense to keep for-profit businesses involved only on secondary elements of a project, not have them get directly involved in the transportation element.

And in defense of the City of Chicago, Mayor Daley was likely right when he suggested that only in privatization would the city ever see increasing parking fees. But that fact strikes at the heart of the issue: selling off public infrastructure is too often a response to a lack of political will to get what is needed done.

In Chicago’s case, a politician who has won every mayoral election since 1989 claims he wouldn’t be able to assemble support for raising parking rates, so he would prefer handing out profits on meters to a private group than pushing for his cash-poor city to take the same difficult step. In the U.K., an unwillingness to consider other revenue sources forces a debt-ridden government to sell off its most valuable assets rather than milk them for all they’re worth.

For the average person, privatization probably won’t appear to have changed matters much. But the money they spend parking their cars or taking the train will be going into private hands, not public ones.

You can link here.

Looks like Rob Ford is finished. He's announced that he isn't talking to the Toronto Star anymore. Apparently the Star stole his marbles ...

What's really bizarre about this, is it was the Toronto Sun that outed his drug arrest, drunk-driving conviction, and attempt to bribe a police officer.

A completely bizarre move. The Star has a daily circulation of 300,000 ... mostly in the GTA. But is also publishes Metro ...which has circulation of another 300,000; mostly in the City of Toronto.

The Toronto Sun only has about 140,000 mostly in the GTA, while the Globe has 300,000 nationally and the Post has about 120,000 nationally. I doubt that the Globe, Post, and Sun combined have more circulation in the City of Toronto than the Star. And combined, the Star and Metro have over 600,000 readers. To be fair though, it's reported that The Sun's "24 Hours" has a circulation of about 270,000 a day ... which seems hard to believe given that I see a lot more Metros lying around the TTC than I see 24s.

Either way, Ford has cut off about half of his newspaper access a day after the other newspaper outed him. Perhaps he doesn't realise which paper outed him!

Back