News   Jul 25, 2024
 26     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 210     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 344     0 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

I do wish I could be as excited about a candidate as Fresh Start is about Rob Ford. Must be nice.

I recognize that Rob Ford is a risk. He may well turn out to be the buffoon that people like Mr. Smitherman want to paint him as.

But I ask myself how he could be worse than Smitherman, and I feel comfortable that at this point in time Mr. Ford is the best choice.

Hey Toronto taxpayers: if you liked the way David Miller taxed & spent your hard-earned money, give George a spin at the wheel. He'll make His Blondness's extravagances look like chump change.

I'm just returning home from Rob Ford's Ford Fest bash held at his family ranch, and let me tell you, I haven't been this impressed with a politician in very a long time. To all those under the false presumption that Ford has no plans, well, you have been forewarned. After speaking mono a mono with the man, I am surprised at how well thought out his transit plan is shaping up to be, the official public release to come after Labour Day. I have confirmation now that subways will extend to Scarborough Centre if elected, as well the DRL and Eglinton.
Did he say anything about the Sheppard LRT?

I recognize that Rob Ford is a risk. He may well turn out to be the buffoon that people like Mr. Smitherman want to paint him as.

But I ask myself how he could be worse than Smitherman, and I feel comfortable that at this point in time Mr. Ford is the best choice.

Why make the leap from Ford to Smitherman? It's not a two horse race. If you're looking for a fiscal conservative who's not a boob, why not look into Rossi? I'm a lefty, so he's not really my cup-of-tea, but at last he's not a jackass, doesn't go on racist, homophobic, or otherwise moronic rants, shows signs of being able to work with other councillors, and has an IQ above 95.

Ford is not the only conservative candidate. You don't have to vote for him just because he's 'better than Smitherman'.

Last edited:
I don't think that was the question. What does Rob Ford think about Toronto "spending money" to host them? Needless spending? If elected, will he downsize Toronto's commitment?

Hey Toronto taxpayers: if you liked the way David Miller taxed & spent your hard-earned money, give George a spin at the wheel. He'll make His Blondness's extravagances look like chump change.

If Rob Ford was mayor for the last 8 years and had his way, would we have Sugar Beach? Upgrade of Nathan Philip's Square? Sherbourn Common? Corus? George Brown? The new Regent Park? St. Jamestown Library? Harbourfront Wave Decks? Bloor's new renovations? Union Station redevelopment? St. Clair Street car? West Don Lands redevelopment? The Pan-Am Games?All the new gardens and planters around town? I'm not saying those are all good things, just wondering if saving money on taxes is worth it? With Rob Ford in charge, what will we lose in terms of making Toronto a more attractive place and a better place to live? How much pressure will be on Ford to just say no to everything, to please his followers and their desire to spend as little as possible? He will be expected to deliver, which I'm afraid means, not only will we see no positive physical changes in Toronto but no upkeep in what we already have. How far will the "don't spend tax payer's dollars" go? That's what worries me most. (and the fact I just think his intellectual abilities are not suitable for the job as mayor)

Did he say anything about the Sheppard LRT?

I don't want to jinx things, but from what I've been hearing a moratorium on SELRT is still a possibility to be replaced with an extension of the subway to Scarborough Ctr. There's a number of tactics he can use to filibuster any further proceedings with the Tramsfer City light-rail experiment era, and get Toronto back on the right track! (pun intended)

Fresh Start, you are to posting what those grotesquely overinflated urns and eagles in front of the Ford family homestead are to front yard decoration

There's a number of tactics he can use to filibuster any further proceedings with the Tramsfer City light-rail experiment era

First act - filibuster. Talk about RF being the symbol of constructive leadership.

AoD

just imagine, but one day we'll be commuting to work on the rob ford expressway! 16 lanes of beautiful pavement from the harbourfront to etobicoke and beyond! :p

lol!

Love to see the the reaction of the granola crunchers on that project.

I'm not surprised that Adam Vaughan wanted to play it safe since he only has one term as councillor and is pretty much safe but it's possible that he might jump in. He has good name recognition and a lot of people remember him from his CityTV days. I don't agree with what he did with the Entertainment District and how he did it but I recognize him as an astute politician who was able to get his agenda through in his first term.

In other news, I was contacted by the Pantalone campaign and everything about it felt very familiar... very David Miller-ish -- John Laschinger at work. My bets are on Mayor Joe succeeding Miller.

I have seen Vaughan in action in various committees and I can attest to his abilities. I highly, highly doubt he would jump in this late, especially with Pantalone running from the left. However, he could be the left's best chance, if not this year, then four years from now. He is smart, affable, and has no NDP baggage. Yes, he is from downtown, but his distinguished grey and translucent glasses could play well in North Toronto.

With that being said, I agree with you on John Laschinger. The guy is a genius who ran a 2003 mayoral campaign that is revered by political organizers of every stripe, and to completely discount Pantalone would be foolish. They are playing it smart by portraying him as the "every man" whose immigrant roots connect him to the city far beyond his downtown constituency. His Miller baggage will undoubtedly be his weakness, but the optics might change when the Deputy Mayor starts to accompany His Blondness to his last big transit and waterfront announcements as he attempts to cement his two-term legacy.

Last edited:
Rob Ford surges ahead

I'm beginning to worry: http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/torontomayoralrace/article/847228--rob-ford-surges-ahead?bn=1

Ford 37.6%
Smitherman 28.7%
Pantalone 15.5%
Sarah Thomson 10.3%
Rocco Rossi 7.9%

This may just be name recognition talking right now as Ford has the most headlines in the news (for good and bad reasons). Most of the candidates are saving their advertising budgets for the real campaign -- which starts right about now.

With Smitherman's anti-Ford website being released, let's see how these numbers look in a couple of weeks.

If they solidify, I always wanted to live in Vancouver or Montreal for a few years... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Back