1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 462     0 

New TTC Subway Cars

D

drum118

I told Roger of Rocket Riders to see if he could get Chris Heald project manager for the new subway train to come out and do a presentation, talk on the new trains at a RR meeting and he is coming in March.

The meeting will be held at Metro Hall room 313 Tuesday, March 7, 2006 6:30 pm to 9pm. Also, Rick Cornacchia, Deputy General Manager, of TTC Subway Operations will be speaking.

For those who want to see more detail than what I have posted and learn more about the new trains, this is a chance to get it first hand.

So, come on out.

Dave

Siemens want to bid on new TTC subway trains

From the Globe:

Siemens wants to bid on TTC deal
Subway cars made in China would cost less than Bombardier's, German firm says

JEFF GRAY

Toronto risks overspending by as much as $100-million if it goes ahead with a plan to buy new subway cars from Bombardier Transportation without allowing others to bid on the contract, a rival firm says.

At its meeting today, the Toronto Transit Commission will discuss the design of the 232 replacement cars, for which it has budgeted $705-million over five years. It has entered exclusive talks with Bombardier on the cars, which would be built at the company's Thunder Bay plant.

But representatives of Siemens Transportation Systems of Germany estimate they could deliver more or less the same subway cars for $535-million, although they caution they have not seen the TTC's specifications.

"We're very confident that we're $100-million-plus lower than the competition," said Mario Peloquin, Siemens's director of business development for Canada.

Mr. Peloquin said Siemens could offer a substantially lower price than Bombardier because costs tend to "naturally" inflate in the absence of competition on a big contract, and because Siemens would build most of the cars at a plant in China, where labour costs are significantly lower.

He said the only way for the TTC to ensure it gets the best price is to open the contract to other bids. He said his company's cost estimate was sent to TTC officials yesterday.

But TTC chairman Howard Moscoe dismissed Siemens's assertions, saying the budget of $705-million is only an "upset figure" and that the TTC intends to pay much less for the cars from Bombardier.

"They don't even know what our specs are," Mr. Moscoe said yesterday of Siemens. "It doesn't mean anything."

He stressed that the TTC is still negotiating with Bombardier on a price.

"Basically it's sour grapes," he said.

Mr. Moscoe pointed to a 1992 agreement between Bombardier and the Ontario government of Bob Rae, signed when the Montreal-based firm bought the once-government-owned Thunder Bay plant, that guaranteed "all future rail transit orders for Ontario customers" would be manufactured either in Thunder Bay or at the company's now-defunct plant in Kingston.

Money is expected to flow to the TTC from the federal and provincial governments to help pay for the subway cars.

But the current Liberal government at Queen's Park, while not opposed to sole sourcing, says the 1992 deal is no longer valid. Bombardier has said it believes the deal should be honoured.

Mr. Moscoe said he doesn't want to get between the company and Queen's Park: "I don't want to get involved in any legal matters," he said.

But he said it is important to keep the Thunder Bay plant -- the only plant that produces subway cars in Ontario -- up and running, both for the economic health of Thunder Bay and for the benefit of public transit across the country.

"It's in the long-term interest of all public-transit systems in this country to ensure that we retain a facility for constructing subway cars in this country. If the TTC doesn't buy this order, who would?"

The TTC has said it will submit Bombardier's bid to independent auditors to ensure that it is competitive with other international contracts.

TTC chief general manager Rick Ducharme originally recommended that the city councillors who sit on the Toronto Transit Commission put the subway contract out for competitive bids. But the commission decided to go with the sole-source approach.

Mr. Ducharme said he would urge it to seek other bids if he is not comfortable with the price Bombardier wants. He said word from Siemens that it could produce subway cars at a lower cost would put pressure on Bombardier as negotiations continue.

"If it's $700-million, and Siemens is saying they could have done it for 500 and some, that's going to be an interesting assessment," he said. "Once I find out what the apples-to-apples are, that's what I'm going to have to look at."

All of the TTC's current subway fleet and most of is streetcars were built at the Thunder Bay plant. In the late 1990s, the TTC bought its T1 subway cars without putting the contract out to bids.

Siemens also has benefited from sole sourcing, garnering contracts to build light-rail vehicles in Calgary and Edmonton without competition.

But sole sourcing, long a practice in the transit business, has come under fire in Canada, with Bombardier in the crosshairs.

French competitor Alstom Canada, which, like Bombardier, has a plant in Quebec, has protested against calls to give Bombardier a $1.2-billion contract to replace 366 of Montreal's subway cars without competition.

Paul Pugh, president of the Thunder Bay plant's Canadian Auto Workers Local 1075, said that if the company fails to get the contract, it would likely mean the end of the factory, which would put hundreds of people out of work.

"For the plant, it's pretty much life and death," Mr. Pugh said. "For the city it's not quite that, but not too far off either."

The Thunder Bay plant went through layoffs in 2003, which cut its work force to about 400 from close to 1,000. If the TTC contract is signed, at least 300 workers could return to work for five years, Mr. Pugh said.

AoD

That would be terrible if they actually buy from Siemens. The very least that the province can expect for their funding is that the trains will be built in Ontario when a plant is already available. Of course, if it's just a way to get Bombardier to keep the price down, that's probably a good idea.

Yes, and also, the above mentioned cost doesn't include the spinoff benefits of building the cars here in Canada. The workers pay tax, Bombardier pays tax, + the multiplier effect of these taxes. Plus, plain and simple, if you can build a good product in Canada, that is competitively priced, then why buy something made in China.

Just for the shake of Thunder Bay stick with the Bombardiers.

Exactly. Those taxes paid by Bombardier and its workers go directly to paying for the project.

Should the bankrupt city of Toronto be responsible for subsidising Bombardier jobs in Thunder Bay? What if Siemens chinese-built trains cost $200 million less for the same specs? "Oh, sure, we could have afforded an extra 400 buses along we our subway trains, but nah..."

If we want to keep jobs in Thunder Bay, let the province be responsible for it. That's not the TTC's job.

The trains belong to Toronto taxpayers, so why should we be forced to pay anything higher than market value. If the province mandates that we buy the trains from Bombardier solely for the benefit of a city hundreds of km away, hold the residents of Thunder Bay accountable for the $200,000,000 subsidy.

I know it's important to boost the provincial economy from within, however it should be done competitively rather than by taking advantage of a city that's already broke.

I'm in favour of Canadian jobs at Thunder Bay, but I echo the sentiment of some of you here regarding fairness to the TTC.

The mandate of the TTC is clear. It is in the job of providing public transit, and not in subsidizing Thunder Bay jobs. An already strained budget should not be forced to pay more. Perhaps they can get a quote from Siemens, then go to the Ontario government to pay the difference to keep the jobs in Ontario.

I say stick with Bombardier. Why should we encourage slave labour in China, to save some money.

Its big companies like TTC that have to stand up for Canadian jobs, etc. It costs more money, but the benefits are supporting our own country outweight the financial cost.

miketoronto:

I have many issues with labour practices in China, but let's get one thing clear - one doesn't use slave labour to build complex machinery like trains. You just don't.

AoD

Bombardier is partnered with the Changchun Car Company to build subway trains in China, so it's not as though Bombardier cannot be as competitive as Siemens in terms of cost. Maybe the train parts could be manufactured in China and shipped over to be assembled in Thunder Bay or Toronto.

If Siemens is so keen on profiting from Toronto's subway system, I suggest they try getting a turnkey contract- instead of building just trains, why don't Siemens build us a whole subway line, complete with signals, communications, fare collection and the trains?

When determining the true cost of using bombardier vs siemens, you have to look at total cost, not just the purchase price. The total cost of the spinoff benefits realistically can only be estimated, other than direct taxes paid. I do agree that the TTC should make decisions based upon their costs, and they should use that as leverage to force the sr level of governments to foot the difference, as they are the ones benefitting in additional tax revenue.

The self-absorption of some Torontonians never ceases to amaze me. The citizens of Thunder Bay are paying for the subway cars through their provincial and federal taxes. The higher level support for the new cars is a hell of a lot bigger than any possible additional cost for Ontario-sourced cars.

Toronto has to realize (as all Canadian regions do) that we are a community. I can tell you, and this is a field in which I have a fair bit of knowledge, that forcing the closure of one of Thunder Bay's biggest employers would be an outright declaration of war on not only that city, but Northern Ontario as a whole. I can tell you that next time the subject of funding for Toronto transit comes up, all those MPs and MPPs(and I can tell you that they're well-organized and influential) will be foaming at the mouth in opposition. This will be in the newspaper every day for a year in Northern Ontario. Is it really worth it to save a comparatively small sum of money, especially when the savings are not even guaranteed?

If eveything must be so self-interested, think about the additional subsidies Toronto taxpayers will have to pay to Northern Ontario after single-handedly causing the closure of one of its largest and highest-paying employers. Oh, and I've seen the list of suppliers to Bombardier in Thunder Bay. Over half of them are from the GTA, a number of which are in the City of Tororonto proper. They would lose they jobs, too.

If Toronto's going to demand money from the provincial and federal governments (as well they should), they have to accept that they should try to support the rest of our province, especially when it's so easy.

Where do the natural resources to keep the city functioning come from? Food from the rural areas of the provinces. Mineral and metals from the Canadian Shield. Wood from the Northern forests. Georgian Bay for cottage country for city dwellers. The land that is being mined and forested also finds many of its offices in the city. Barrack Gold and other mining companies would likely not be what they are today where it not for their chance to exploit the Canadian wilderness. Of course the case of Calgary and its dependency on the landscape and small towns such Fort McMurray et al should be rather self evident.

Please, they get paid for that. We don't force them to supply us their goods.

and I watch one city suffer because another city wanted to save a few bucks,

$200 million to a city facing a $500 million budget deficit is a few bucks? In that case can you spare a few bucks? If the province or feds pick up the tab then sure. But Toronto shouldn't be in the business of saving Thunder Bay.

Back