News   Jul 17, 2024
 540     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 634     0 

New Transit Funding Sources

I'm sorry but this has got to be the stupidest idea I've ever heard, and every time I hear it on these boards I just want to bash something against a brick wall.

First of all, it will never happen.

Second of all, if you're going to go to the trouble of such a thing, why in the world would you waive the fee for Torontonians???

You know, Torotoninas pay taxes to maintain and various other fees to maintain their highways. I mean, why should out of town riders get a fee ride on the Gardiner while Torontonains are paying $500 Million to make sure it doesn't collapse on itself?

Now whether or not it makes economical sense to charge non-Torontonains is something that should be debated.

I agree. This us vs them thing needs to stop. Many Torontonians also use their own municipal highways, as well as 905 roads.

If municipalities outside of Toronto need money to pay to maintain their roads I'm not at all against tolling Torontonains for that. It's unfair to use the road network and not expect to contribute a dime if needed.

I'm sorry but this has got to be the stupidest idea I've ever heard, and every time I hear it on these boards I just want to bash something against a brick wall.

First of all, it will never happen.

Second of all, if you're going to go to the trouble of such a thing, why in the world would you waive the fee for Torontonians???

To encourage people to live in the city? That's my guess.

To encourage people to live in the city? That's my guess.

Torontonians already pay taxes to maintain the roads, including the $500 Million for the gardiner. If we're using this money towards maintenance it doesn't make sense to make Toronto residents pay twice over to maintain the road. The purpose of this toll would be to ensure that all non residents are paying their fare share of the maintenance bills, instead of leaving the maintenance bill for their usage solely with the residents and businesses of Toronto. It seems fair to me.

Then the other regions around Toronto should charge Toronto residents for driving on their roads if anyone wants to try that.

They do, it's called provincial taxes.

+1.

Their roads are provincially owned. Everyone from the province pays to maintain them. If the municipalities owned the roads then I'd be fine with them tolling non-residents.

Gardiner/DVP are municipally owned. Toronto pays to maintain these roads.This is an issue because the people who use them are largely used by people who contribute zero to their maintenance. Tolling these roads would simply be getting everyone to pay their fare share. It has nothing to do with us vs. them.

Last edited:
+1.

Their roads are provincially owned. Everyone from the province pays to maintain them. If the municipalities owned the roads then I'd be fine with them tolling non-residents.

Gardiner/DVP are municipally owned. Toronto pays to maintain these roads.This is an issue because the people who use them are largely used by people who contribute zero to their maintenance. Tolling these roads would simply be getting everyone to pay their fare share. It has nothing to do with us vs. them.

I'm all for tolls for non Toronto residents on the Gardiner and DVP. If those outside the city finds it so unfair, then they should ask the province to take it back so it gets off our books

I'm all for tolls for non Toronto residents on the Gardiner and DVP. If those outside the city finds it so unfair, then they should ask the province to take it back so it gets off our books

Commercial and Industrial land counts for 40% of the property tax base in Toronto (a.k.a. taxation without representation). These costs are passed onto business owners (net-net leases) which employ people from around the GTA.

They pay $1,500,000,000 to get their employees to work. I would like to see a study to see what else they receive for their taxation (full recovery user charges are often the norm). If Toronto wants to remove their obligation for one of the services they provide, I am sure that commercial property owners would be more than happy to see their tax rates decrease (taking it off their books).

The Gardiner and DVP do not have much flow-through traffic. Much smaller cities have heavily used flow-through expressways (Hamilton with the LINK and Red Hill Expressway).

http://www.toronto.ca/budget2013/2013_budget_summary/pdf/revenues.pdf

thats my thinking. the DVP and Gardiner especially need to be provincially maintained. the Allen can probably stay Municipal.

The PC plan for transit is cancel everything and built Relief Line + Yonge + Scarb. No Sheppard.

That is probably the best plan that I have heard.

The only thing better is to somehow force Metrolinx and TTC (at least the subway portion) together so they could finally start planning and building transit on the GO lines that doesn't just shuttle people to Union.

thats my thinking. the DVP and Gardiner especially need to be provincially maintained. the Allen can probably stay Municipal.

Another PC plan.

I realize its a PC plan, and its one of the only ideas of theirs I agree with.

Its certainly not the best plan. The liberals are proposing to do the same thing without wasting more money cancelling existing plans and still managing to reduce gridlock in a major way other than in 2 or 3 spots.

That is probably the best plan that I have heard.

The only thing better is to somehow force Metrolinx and TTC (at least the subway portion) together so they could finally start planning and building transit on the GO lines that doesn't just shuttle people to Union.

Another PC plan.

I hope you realize that the PCs want to cancel everhting in the region for the DRL and Yonge. How is that better?,

Back