News   Jul 16, 2024
 641     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 577     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 716     2 

New Transit Funding Sources

My point was that Vaughan should not have got a subway in the first place.

It is a Toronto subway which was extended 2 km to Vaughan and York Region paid money to fund it, so where is the problem? Vaughan and York Region residents also pay federal and provincial taxes which covers their contributions, so all this hysteria about subways in Vaughan is bullshit. You would think they built a new subway line that's only in Vaughan and no where else.

It is a Toronto subway which was extended 2 km to Vaughan and York Region paid money to fund it, so where is the problem? Vaughan and York Region residents also pay federal and provincial taxes which covers their contributions, so all this hysteria about subways in Vaughan is bullshit. You would think they built a new subway line that's only in Vaughan and no where else.

York paid their share of the capital cost but the TTC and by default the city of Toronto will absorb the operating and maintenance costs of that part of the line. The province doesn't subsidize the TTC and the ridership will be terrible for years. Do the math...

It would be fine if the system was like in Montreal

A-Quebec subsidize the STM (Societe de Transport de Montreal)
B-Laval AND the surrounding 82 cities part of the CMM has to pay taxes dedicated for transit in the Greater Montreal region
C-Laval has to pay their share of the operating costs for the metro that was extended in their city

None of the above is true as of now for Toronto. As a taxpayer to the city, it's frustrating that my taxes will subsidize a part of the network that has no benefit to me. If Queen's Park was subsidizing the TTC than I wouldn't oppose it as much. Regardless, the DRL is so much more important than that ridiculous extension to Vaughan "Metropolitain-corporate-non existing downtown-in the middle of nowhere" Centre

I would take Finch LRT to Yonge, Sheppard West Subway, Eglinton LRT to Pearson, Waterfront LRT, Bloor-Yonge upgrade way before going to Vaughan non-existing Corporate fictional Metropolitain Centre

Last edited:
York paid their share of the capital cost but the TTC and by default the city of Toronto will absorb the operating and maintenance costs of that part of the line. The province doesn't subsidize the TTC and the ridership will be terrible for years. Do the math...

It would be fine if the system was like in Montreal

A-Quebec subsidize the STM (Societe de Transport de Montreal)
B-Laval AND the surrounding 82 cities part of the CMM has to pay taxes dedicated for transit in the Greater Montreal region
C-Laval has to pay their share of the operating costs for the metro that was extended in their city

None of the above is true as of now for Toronto. As a taxpayer to the city, it's frustrating that my taxes will subsidize a part of the network that has no benefit to me. If Queen's Park was subsidizing the TTC than I wouldn't oppose it as much. Regardless, the DRL is so much more important than that ridiculous extension to Vaughan "Metropolitain-corporate-non existing downtown-in the middle of nowhere" Centre

I would take Finch LRT to Yonge, Sheppard West Subway, Eglinton LRT to Pearson, Waterfront LRT, Bloor-Yonge upgrade way before going to Vaughan non-existing Corporate fictional Metropolitain Centre

Even if you cancelled the portion in Vaughan which was basically covered by York Region, the Federal and also provincial contribution I doubt any of those LRT or subway lines would be built.

Well it is. After Finch you are in Vaughan - Steele.

[QUOTE never claimed that the liberals aren't the same, they are very similar. In fact, the big move was a McGuinty policy that Wynne took up.[QUOTE

also, how is Ontario a "have-not" province? last time I checked Toronto still growing by 100,000 people per year. is it because of federal redistrubution? if so, I wouldn't read too much into that, that is largely just spreading around oil money.

[/QUOTE]

Inccorrect. The last census showed in the last 5 years - the pop of Toronto grew if I remember correctly and I might be somewhat off, about 170,000l

The City of Toronto and York Region have agreed to keep fares the same north of Steeles.

Thats ridiculous. of course Vaughan would agree to that. But why woudl the City of Toronto do that? The TTC should have said something. But once you implement distance fare across the TTC then of course it will hit Vaughan

Last edited:
If the TTC is going to change it's fare system, it should be be fare-by-distance, like GO does, as well as places in Asia (e.g. Taipei, Hong Kong) and SF (BART).

Isn't York Region paying for the operation of the subway north of Steeles?
No, that was in the agreement.

not that I'm aware of... I hope the costs of their tokens will be higher
No, that was in the agreement.

At the same time, riders currently taking YRT to York will have to pay twice the fare they currently pay if they take YRT to Vaughan Mafiaopolis Centre and then take the subway to York.

You honestly think the Mafia is involved with Smart Centres? As someone who has personally met Mitch Goldhar, I can assure you they have no Mafia connections. Does he have political conections and did he lobby to have the subway extended to his plot of land? possibly, but not through the Mafia.

Thats ridiculous. of course Vaughan would agree to that. But why woudl the City of Toronto do that? The TTC should have said something. But once you implement distance fare across the TTC then of course it will hit Vaughan

Politics. The City of Toronto needed money to subsidize the rest of the subway. Queens Park said only if a subway to Vaughan was built.

Back