News   Jul 16, 2024
 659     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 588     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 731     2 

New Transit Funding Sources

So, it is official, the panel does not see its' mandate as limited in scope to funding mechanisms:

http://argylecommunications.com/TISAP/DiscussionPaperTwo-TheTransitWeNeed.pdf said:
As a result of both changing conditions and emerging priorities, the Panel does not view The Big Move as written in stone. To be clear, we do not envisage re-mapping The Big Move. Rather, we are exploring strategic modifications to more
accurately serve current and anticipated growth.

We propose to establish a clear set of criteria for project selection and prioritization which may lead to a ranking of the original list. Using these criteria to prioritize upcoming projects, we can make progress on fulfilling the vision of The Big Move
and ensure we have the best possible plan for current and emerging circumstances. These criteria will be front and centre in our upcoming consultations with the public.

The Panel is convinced that a plan to pay for new transit cannot be separated from how we select the projects themselves. In particular, given the current financial pressures on the provincial government, prudence dictates that recommendations for new dedicated funding will result in a network of high-performing rapid transit lines.

Last edited:
So, it is official, the panel does not see its' mandate as limited in scope to funding mechanisms:

As someone asked during the recent Scarborough by-election: What is the purpose of Metrolinx if a politician (Minister at that time), or a politically appointed panel (this time) make the decisions on transit?

As someone asked during the recent Scarborough by-election: What is the purpose of Metrolinx if a politician (Minister at that time), or a politically appointed panel (this time) make the decisions on transit?

A question I have asked multiple times!

They aren't proposing individual projects, they seem to want to change the way projects are prioritized.

I would wait until I reached that conclusion ;)

Even if it is true, it goes beyond what was announced as their mandate and what they acknowledge is their mandate:

http://argylecommunications.com/TISAP/DiscussionPaperTwo-TheTransitWeNeed.pdf said:
The Panel was established by Premier Wynne on September 18, 2013 with a mandate to advise the Province on how to respond to the Metrolinx Investment
Strategy
and to engage with the public to determine whether the Metrolinx recommendations are the right ones.

I'm saying it is within their mandate as the investment strategy outlines how projects are chosen and what projects should be chosen.

I'm saying it is within their mandate as the investment strategy outlines how projects are chosen and what projects should be chosen.

No....it is not in their mandate....they appear to be making it.

Even Metrolinx separated "what we need to build" (the Big Move) and "how we pay for that" (the Investment Strategy). Even in the introduction to the white paper today the panel reiterate that their mandate was only about the Investment Strategy (see the quote in post #1267).

The really sad thing is that no one seems to know what is going on.

Got a tweet from Glen Murray today saying the panel is not picking projects.....but the panel themselves are saying they are and have to (even though it is not part of their mandate).

There also seems to be a bit of politics involved. Notice how the panel pointed out that efficiencies won't pay for transit. It's true that won't pay for the Big Move but it looks like a dig at Hudak when the panel is supposed to be independent. It's a grey area because the statement is true.

There also seems to be a bit of politics involved. Notice how the panel pointed out that efficiencies won't pay for transit. It's true that won't pay for the Big Move but it looks like a dig at Hudak when the panel is supposed to be independent. It's a grey area because the statement is true.

And, like Hudak, the panel is saying parts of the Big Move are good but parts are not and the plan is not "written in stone".

Wow!

The panel just tweeted this to me:

@TransitPanel said:
Before recommending how to fund transit expansion in the region, we want to ensure accountability for these investments.

I thought we elected governments who did that? These guys have, I think, annointed themselves as the Ontario Transit Authority

And what's wrong with stating that, you don'y pay for transit through efficiencies. Show me one place in the world paying for transit expansion like this through simply efficiencies. It's BS and it deserves to be called out. Even the Drummond Report debunks that myth.

And what's wrong with stating that, you don'y pay for transit through efficiencies. Show me one place in the world paying for transit expansion like this through simply efficiencies. It's BS and it deserves to be called out. Even the Drummond Report debunks that myth.
Which is why I said the statement was true. I'm just cynical that this unnecessary panel that was created by Wynne because she knows transit taxes are going to be a hard sell happens to make a point on the main argument the opposition is making.

Back