News   Jul 17, 2024
 116     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 721     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 616     0 

New Transit Funding Sources

Steve munro looking at this document covering the panels planned spending for the projects.. DRL completion in 2023? yes please!

http://stevemunro.ca/?p=9108

UPX

Spadina Subway
Richmond Hill AD2W
Union Station
Mississauga Transitway

UPX Electrification

Stouffville AD2W
Completion of VIVA BRT

Sheppard LRT (?)
Barrie AD2W
Hurontario LRT

Eglinton LRT
Hamilton LRT (but only half of it, the latter half has been put off, no idea what this entails)
Dundas BRT
Queen BRT
Durham BRT

Finch LRT
Milton AD2W

Kitchener AD2W

DRL
Scarborough Subway

-

Yonge Subway (like the Hamilton LRT, "50%" completion. this presumably means to Steeles, with the rest to be completed at a later date)

This is fantastic. I can see most of this in 6 years. Nice find insert.

Nope, it talks about how the whole thing will be funded but at first it will just be 50%, with the rest coming in the second "part" with lakeshore electrification and Kitchener electrification.

Nope, it talks about how the whole thing will be funded but at first it will just be 50%, with the rest coming in the second "part" with lakeshore electrification and Kitchener electrification.
That seems rather pointless for a relatively short project. You'd have to build a large temporary terminal at Steeles. Also the train storage for the Extension is between Richmond Hill station and the future 16th Avenue station ... so they'd have to find train storage elsewhere temporarily.

Last edited:

Perhaps that's also a hint to YR: "pay for some of it yourself". They had the same 50% for the Hamilton LRT I believe.

2021 for all-day Milton service? If it's not every half-hour it'll be worse service than currently exists.

That seems rather pointless for a relatively short project. You'd have to build a large temporary terminal at Steeles. Also the train storage for the Extension is between Richmond Hill station and the future Major Mackenzie station ... so they'd have to find train storage elsewhere temporarily.

Getting the RH GO Train done and fast tracking DRL should help things, I think Metrolinx is just trying to respond to those who say the DRL is number one.

2021 for all-day Milton service? If it's not every half-hour it'll be worse service than currently exists.

This is a good point. It has to be half hour service, or else it will be less then what you guys have now.

That seems rather pointless for a relatively short project. You'd have to build a large temporary terminal at Steeles. Also the train storage for the Extension is between Richmond Hill station and the future Major Mackenzie station ... so they'd have to find train storage elsewhere temporarily.

How about building the SRT to Sheppard (and not Malvern). Stopping one station before the final terminal. That too would have been a very ridiculous idea.

How about building the SRT to Sheppard (and not Malvern). Stopping one station before the final terminal. That too would have been a very ridiculous idea.
I hadn't realised that there was an SRT storage facility planned for Malvern, along with a transfer to a BRT and GO Train.

Though I was in favour of extending the SRT to Malvern when it would have been extended to Sheppherd.

Is Yonge subway line going to Major Mackenzie at some point?

Is Yonge subway line going to Major Mackenzie at some point?
Who knows, but the design for the trail track for car storage north of Richmond Hill station goes almost all the way to 16th Avenue, and therefore the design of the tail track, included the possible future location of 16th Avenue station.

It's shown on a lot of the Yonge Extension project documents, I think most recently was a June 2013 open house - http://www.vivanext.com/files/PastMeetings/YongeExtension/1306_Boards.pdf

Oops, I forgot 16th Avenue is between 7 and Major Mackenzie ...

I hadn't realised that there was an SRT storage facility planned for Malvern, along with a transfer to a BRT and GO Train.

Though I was in favour of extending the SRT to Malvern when it would have been extended to Sheppherd.

Yes, I agree, Richmond Hill is a bigger hub.

But then, the amount of extra money needed to go to Malvern was very small, while going from Steeles to RH is still a huge cost, plus there are inter-jurisdiction issues involved.

Back