News   Jun 28, 2024
 2.7K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 599     1 

New Potential Mayors

For years, the Big 3 developed a record of abysmal build quality. Far too many people swore they'd never buy another American car after their experiences. For my mother, it was back in the 80s. They bought Chryslers and went through 3 in 3 years. The final one erupted into a mass of sparks while driving, as the electrical system completely died. They were just lucky that one of the doors was unlocked, because even the power locks failed. After that, it was just Hondas and Toyotas.

bye, bye miss american pie.....drove my chevy to the levy and it fucking fell in the water because the god damned brakes failed!!! singing this will be the day that i buy......japanese.

;)

I am all for pay raises, but where would you get the extra revenue? There is only so much you can tax businesses before off-shoring becomes attractive. And there's only so much you can tax the working class before they move to a lower tax jurisdiction. In our local example, I am worried about business and residents fleeing the 416. I don't think its at that point yet, but its probably starting together. Most of the major banks, for example, have moved many of their processing functions out of downtown and into the 905. They will start to value the downtown presence less and less as it gets more expensive to stay in the 416.).

One post you complain the soldiers are not paid enough because they don't make what cops make, then you changed the goal post stating we cannot pay for it. Which do you believe, soldiers are underpaid or cops are over paid. Either way we need them and must pay for them with living wages.

I've heard that same argument in the US about fearing businesses leaving to support corporate welfare and I just don't buy it. The downtown area is not full of empty buildings begging to be rented.

http://www3.ttc.ca/Jobs/jobopps_operators1.jsp

http://www.ona.org/faq#f14

Your two sources show nurses make more than transit workers, so your previous statement is false that TTC workers make more then health care professionals.

That's a fairly generic statement everyone agrees with. But how do you incentivize kids to max out on their potential when they know there are jobs that don't require years of study or training. As you say, not everyone is destined for university. Likewise, not everyone is destined to make a six figure salary. That's how capitalism works. Are you seriously telling me that GM line workers deserve over 30 bucks at hour (plus extravagant pensions, and some gucci health care)? I would argue that this is one of the reasons that the big 3 are going under. The companies got greedy with high profit suv's and the workers got greedy with over the top wage and benefit demands. Fair wages allow one a decently quality life. Having the spending power to have a boat, a mansion in the burbs, and several flat panel tv's is probably more than a living wage....and that's the lifestyle of several GM line workers I know..)
The public service unions are rapidly depriving the city of Toronto of its spending power. Infrastructure spending, program services (parks and rec, climate change initiatives, etc.) and social services (subsidized housing backlog) are all lagging behind. If we want this city to be world class, we need a strong mayor who will constraint the unions to fair wage increases (say rate of inflation + 1 or so).

As others pointed out it's not the workers and their compensation at fault for the bad business decisions of the big auto makers. I hardly believe you when you say a GM worker owns a mansion. It sounds too much like something one would hear on FOX News and their pitiful propaganda supporting corporate welfare and their efforts to kill the middle class.
After many years of service are you expecting a workers salary to remain stagnant?

I doubt many people disagree with fair wage increases for every kind of employee. Just yesterday someone posted about the success of social services in getting homeless off the street and many people commented they see a big difference. How exactly are social services lagging here?
I walk my dog in parks and parkettes and they all look beautiful and well kept.

Do unions abuse the system, yes they do. The last strong arming strike by the TTC was killed because they were declared an essential service. Which I agreed with, the union in that case was wrong. That's does not mean unions have outlived their usefulness. I am far more worried about Tory and Republican efforts at increasing Corporate Welfare where far fewer reap the rewards than unions strong arming for raises.

One post you complain the soldiers are not paid enough because they don't make what cops make, then you changed the goal post stating we cannot pay for it. Which do you believe, soldiers are underpaid or cops are over paid.

I serve in the CF and I think we are adequately compensated. I have never argued that we should be paid more....read through my posts and tell me if I have. I have simply said that paying a police officer more than a soldier serving in a war zone, sends the message that Toronto is more dangerous than Kandahar. Toronto Police officers deserve good pay, but demanding to be the highest paid in the country is quite simply, an unsustainable demand. And why should they get paid more, compared to RCMP officers who, for example, have to relocate to remote communities up north. Have you considered what would happen to the other police services in Canada, if this demand went through? Or more locally, what will happen to Toronto when its neighbouring cities include the same clause...Peel region already has that term in their contract.

I've heard that same argument in the US about fearing businesses leaving to support corporate welfare and I just don't buy it. The downtown area is not full of empty buildings begging to be rented.

The rising number of jobs in Mississauga, Markham, Brampton, etc. says otherwise. The downtown is not full or empty but its not growing much either. Given that the population of the GTA is growing, that says a lot. And how sustainable do you think it is, to locate jobs outside the 416? Without access to adequate transit, commuters will simply stick to their car.

http://www.ona.org/faq#f14

Your two sources show nurses make more than transit workers, so your previous statement is false that TTC workers make more then health care professionals.

See my statement again. I said they had comparable wages. And I think that's actually unfair, given the fact that you need 4+ years of university and training to be a nurse.

I hardly believe you when you say a GM worker owns a mansion.

You obviously don't know anyone who works at GM. Take a drive out to Durham.

It sounds too much like something one would hear on FOX News and their pitiful propaganda supporting corporate welfare and their efforts to kill the middle class.

Shrill rhetoric won't prove your point.

How exactly are social services lagging here?

Ever seen the list for subsidized housing or subsidized daycare?

I walk my dog in parks and parkettes and they all look beautiful and well kept.

Good for you. Now visit a park in the inner suburbs or streets downtown and you'll see how effective the services really are.

Do unions abuse the system, yes they do. The last strong arming strike by the TTC was killed because they were declared an essential service. Which I agreed with, the union in that case was wrong.

This is exactly my point. Public sector unions get away with it, because they can hold the government (and by extension the public) hostage. It's not like the government can contract out most of these services or get scabs in a pinch and they know that. So they can launch strikes like that and demand whatever they want.

That's does not mean unions have outlived their usefulness.

I have never argued that they have. I have said that their efforts should be directed at the private sector where employees face much more significant challenges and are undervalued and underpaid. Instead, unions choose to target public sector workplaces because they are easy targets and because union friendly governments like our present administration in the city of Toronto will cave on every wage demand.

I am far more worried about Tory and Republican efforts at increasing Corporate Welfare where far fewer reap the rewards than unions strong arming for raises.

Here in Canada, its been the Liberals who have subsidized industry far more than the Conservatives. In fact, that's been the constant complaint of the left, that the Harper government isn't doing enough for the auto industry in Ontario, and the aerospace industry in Quebec. It's the right that rails against corporate welfare in Canada. Though I would argue, that subsidizing strategic sectors is simply good business.

As a matter of principle, I just believe its wrong for people who serve the public to demand exorbitant wages from a public who does not have the same earning power. When most employees are getting raises that barely cover inflation, because of the current economic downturn, how does it look if the public sector unions start demanding 4 - 5% increases. Incidentally, this looks to me like a re-run of what lead to the election of Mike Harris, when a public that was fed up with government overspending elected the most right wing premier in Ontario's history. Is that what you would want for the city of Toronto?

If the current state of affairs persist, the public will eventually get fed up and elect a mayor who may prove quite reactionary.

I serve in the CF and I think we are adequately compensated. I have never argued that we should be paid more....read through my posts and tell me if I have. I have simply said that paying a police officer more than a soldier serving in a war zone, sends the message that Toronto is more dangerous than Kandahar. Toronto Police officers deserve good pay, but demanding to be the highest paid in the country is quite simply, an unsustainable demand. And why should they get paid more, compared to RCMP officers who, for example, have to relocate to remote communities up north. Have you considered what would happen to the other police services in Canada, if this demand went through? Or more locally, what will happen to Toronto when its neighbouring cities include the same clause...Peel region already has that term in their contract..

Easy Answer- The cost of living in our area is much higher than in rural and remote areas. You don't get the same pay in rural areas for most jobs not just cops. I don't think 45k a year is too much to pay a cop in this city.

The rising number of jobs in Mississauga, Markham, Brampton, etc. says otherwise. The downtown is not full or empty but its not growing much either. Given that the population of the GTA is growing, that says a lot. And how sustainable do you think it is, to locate jobs outside the 416? Without access to adequate transit, commuters will simply stick to their car...

Are you honestly suggesting downtown Toronto is not growing? Have you seen all the projects at this website?

I think your fears are bunk about a mass exodus out of 416. I heard the same bunk from the GOP supporting Corporate welfare in the US all the time. It's a strawman argument.

See my statement again. I said they had comparable wages. And I think that's actually unfair, given the fact that you need 4+ years of university and training to be a nurse. ...

How comparable is $5 more dollars an hour? $10,400 a year is higher and over a 40 year work life it's $416,000. You didn't orginally say comparable. Here is your statement
Heck, TTC drivers make more than most health care professionals (doctors excepted). ...

You obviously don't know anyone who works at GM. Take a drive out to Durham....

Wow, there's proof!

Shrill rhetoric won't prove your point.....

Neither does your anecdotal evidence like driving out to Durham.

Ever seen the list for subsidized housing or subsidized daycare?.

Show me it.

Good for you. Now visit a park in the inner suburbs or streets downtown and you'll see how effective the services really are.

I live downtown and walk to work every day in the core passing many parks and parkettes. I eat lunch in them often.

This is exactly my point. Public sector unions get away with it, because they can hold the government (and by extension the public) hostage. It's not like the government can contract out most of these services or get scabs in a pinch and they know that. So they can launch strikes like that and demand whatever they want..

They don't always get what they want when they use these tactics as proven in the last strike.

We, who are private sector employees are paid what we are worth to our companies. Private companies need to stop looking for tax break handouts. They need to pay their way just like the rest of us and support the country that allows them the climate to thrive by paying their fair share of taxes. I am sick and tired of people using fear tactics so big business gets major handouts screwing the rest of us. It was unheard of for companies in the WWII and after era to look for these tax subsidized hand outs and to not pay their fair share of taxes. I am curious what is your point about the fear of companies leaving 416 if not to offer them handouts to stay? Certainly the cost of union labor isn't going to make them move.

Harper wants to cut the percentage companies pay in taxes, well sorry, they need to pay their way just like we do. It's the patriotic thing to do.

I do get 4% and 5% raises from my company because it is well run. As long as Unions are performing their jobs as well as I am and their efforts are resulting in well run services, then they deserve the raise.

You have yet to prove, even with your own sources ,that union workers are making vast amounts more than private sector employees. Of course we hear the one off tales of a 40 year union employee that climbed the ladder making large salaries, but that's the exception and not the norm.

Mot,

I have never argued that public sector employees make more than private sector employees. I have argued that they are more than fairly compensated for what they do and that they don't deserve large raises beyond the rate of inflation without an equal increase in productivity. I am fairly sure that your employer doesn't give you a raise out of the generosity of his heart, or he/she would not be in business very long. It's quite likely that your productivity improved sufficiently and that your company was profitable enough to be able to afford you a 4-5% raise. What's more you have to keep in that most public servants are on a pay grid, that get's them automatic increments every year. What we are debating here is the inflation of the whole grid. So we are not talking about someone who want get any increase at all (unless you are at the very top of the grid).

We can't compare public sector to private sector employees because there is no direct comparison to be made when the public sector holds a monopoly on certain segments (transit, health care, police, etc.). So we can only compare from public sector to public sector.

Here is the pay scale for the Toronto Police Service:

http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/careers/salaryandbenefits.php

Here is the Canadian Forces pay scale:

http://www.forces.gc.ca/dgcb/dppd/engraph/dppd_coverpage_e.asp?sidesection=3&sidecat=28&docid=1

Note that a police cadet makes approximately around a 3rd year private (see pay scale in para 7). That's a fully trained person who is available for deployment. I would argue that the private is being paid a wage that is commisserate with his education, training and workplace responsibilities. And note that the same pay applies to our Military Police personnel who I would argue have duties that far outstrip that of the average TO street beat cop. Are we saying that Toronto is so tough to police that our police services deserve pay and benefits well above what our military personnel (who we reserve for truly dangerous work) get paid. A first class police constable makes more than a CF Lieutenant, and that's a military officer who leads a platoon of 40 guys, or flies an aircraft, or manages the combat systems on a ship, etc.

The cost of living argument doesn't wash either, most cops aren't cadets, they are more than likely in the 50k - 70k range. That's more than a fair and livable wage for Toronto. If that argument is to be used, what about Vancouver or Montreal. Yet they aren't demanding to be the highest paid in the country. And what you have the city do in a situation where each police department in the country feels that it should have a clause that says they should be the highest paid in the country. This is the unions attempting to start a bidding war for cops.

And all those numbers are without overtime, which cops get a ton of, thanks to the generous amounts of time of that they get, and thanks to union friendly policies like requiring a bored police officer to stand around during road construction while making time and a half. Apparently the rest of Canada can do road and construction work without a police officer on-site, so why can't we?

I have said that is the wrong statement for a society to make. Toronto is a safe city, the crime stats show it. Our cops should be paid a fair wage that accounts for their workload, productivity, duties, responsibilites, level of education/training background, up to the limits of what the taxpayers can afford. They don't need to be the highest paid in the country, just because they are from the largest city in the country. You are free to disagree with me if you like.

As for the TTC, I say 53k a year (26.58 hourly after 30 months....likely their training and probationary period) is plenty to drive a bus. I would actually argue that its unfair that a subway operator makes as much as a bus driver, when the former has much more responsibility. But that's how unions work. They don't feel the need to pay people according to what they do. Either way, that wage incidentally is only a little below what most of Toronto's police officers make. Are you now going to argue that driving a bus is as dangerous as taking on drug dealers and breaking up bar fights?

Your employer can decide to pay you 5% a year more, because he/she runs a tight ship, had a good year and your productivity improved. The TTC on the other hand is a public utility that the government and society at large wishes the public would use more. To encourage ridership, fares have to be low. Given that wages are the largest portion of the TTC's operating expense, surprisingly more so than fuel, or maintenance, the unions demands for wage increases can be directly attributed to the rise of fares. I would argue that this is not in the public's interest. You seem to feel that fares increasing well above the rate of inflation is okay.

You may not feel that anyone is suffering from all the increments being thrown around, but I would guess the 2000+ households on the waiting list for subsidized housing might disagree ( http://www.housingconnections.ca/Information/Information.asp ). Personally, I would rather spend more on social housing so that people aren't waiting five years for a bachelor apartment or ten years for a house ( http://www.settlement.org/sys/faqs_detail.asp?faq_id=4000084 ). Or perhaps you feel that the 12 000+ children ( http://www.toronto.ca/children/facts_figs.htm ) and their harried parents waiting for a subsidized daycare spot in this city aren't worth more than a little bit of extra spending cash for transit workers and cops.

Again, I am not arguing that they don't deserve raises or that they should be paid less. All I am saying is that some of their demands are unwarranted unless they have the productivity numbers to show otherwise and that these raises will result in a disproportionate burden on the taxpayer, many of whom can't afford significant tax increases, more so since the city is mandated to slowly shift the tax burden to residential ratepayers.

There is an opportunity cost to every dollar. When it goes to the pocket of a civic employee somebody else loses. I am with the poor, the kids and transit riders on this one.

With regards to downtown development, acres of condos do not constitute development to me. A city needs a healthy mix of commercial, industrial, residential, recreational and green space. While the decade long commercial development drought has ended, I doubt the recovery will be strong or sustained, given our current economic situation. This issue has particular challenges for Toronto which has some of the highest commercial/industrial tax rates and the lowest residential tax rates. The city will face severe revenue challenges as the tax base shifts to a more residential mix (with a concomitant increase in demand for services). Charging the highest commercial tax rate while your neighbour charges one of the lowest, will lead to businesses moving away. I can already see that at the edge of the 416 where huge business parks are located just outside.

WRT to your arguments regarding corporate welfare....are you serioulsy arguing the Harper tax cut??? What about the $100 billion dollar tax cut Paul Martin gave as finance minister. The Liberals advertised it as the biggest tax cut in Canadian history ( http://www.fin.gc.ca/toce/2000/update01-1e.html ). In fact, it was Liberal policy (and Martin as finance minister in particular) that saw the corporate tax rate fall faster than the personal income tax rate. Harper's tax cuts look light a tax scratch in comparison. Cutting the corporate tax rate from 28% to 21%, is much more than reducing it from 21% to 18.5%. And note that Dion is promising a bigger corporate tax cut than Harper (http://www.canada.com/topics/news/p...=9a34a015-fdeb-4186-ad59-5d11387372bf&k=78310). The Conservatives are simply following through on Liberal promises, which included a policy to keep reducing the corporate tax rate. To the extent that Harper cut taxes, he did it more to appease his base and check off a promise. Nobody can seriously argue that there was much heart behind it, particularly when you compare to the Chretien/Martin years.

You can keep trying to apply your American political template to Canada, but it doesn't translate that easily. We don't have a two party duopoly. The Liberals run on the left and govern on the right. Anyone who has lived in Canada long enough to vote knows that. That's why the NDP is still around. If the Liberals were a true leftist party the NDP would have been obliterated decades ago.

As for your attmepts to paint me as some hate-filled arch neo-con...fill your boots. The only time I have ever voted Conservative was for John Tory...and more because he was a hometown boy. I am more of a centrist, sadly the demise of the old PC party leaves me with fewer options. But I do believe in fiscal responsibility as a cornerstone of governance. And I would like to see my tax dollars used to help people, not give well paid civic employees over the top increments.

Mark my words, the City spending away like a drunken sailor (or in a fashion that would embarrass a drunken sailor) will eventually drive the public right into the arms of a Mike Harris type...at the municipal level. Having lived through those dark days, I would rather avoid provoking the public into that kind of a rancour again. You may feel like the public will tolerate 4% or 5% raises during an economic downturn. But remember that the NDP gave out less than that to teachers and health care workers in the early 90's and pissed off the public enough to usher in a 7 year long neo-con revolution. Heck, even the 416 voted in members of the Harris government.

So be careful what you wish for.....

ps. I don't want to hijack a thread about new mayors. This is my last post on this. I have thrown out my view into the ether that I would prefer a less union friendly mayor. If you wish to keep debating, let's take it to the "Unions!" thread in the Toronto Issues section.

A few points,

No one has seem to have pointed out the need for high salaries to act as a recruiting tool for better talent and as a means to avoid corruption within the police force. I've seen the NYPD salary of $35k brought up several times, but the NYPD does not exactly have the greatest record as a police force.

Also, Vancouver Police and Calgary Police are paid superior wages when compared to Toronto Police. These are the three cities with the highest cost of living in Canada. I'm not sure about Montreal, but since the cost of living in Montreal is substantially lower, it really isn't a valid comparison in the first place.

As far as the Canadian Forces go, I would imagine that their cost of living is substantially lower (room and board are provided, are they not?) Also, do soldiers placed overseas not recieve some sort of tax exemption/bonus? Sorry if I've assumed wrong here, I'm not familiar with the Forces at all.

No one has seem to have pointed out the need for high salaries to act as a recruiting tool for better talent and as a means to avoid corruption within the police force. I've seen the NYPD salary of $35k brought up several times, but the NYPD does not exactly have the greatest record as a police force.

Agreed, I would never want our armed goons to become THEIR armed goons.

Also, Vancouver Police and Calgary Police are paid superior wages when compared to Toronto Police. These are the three cities with the highest cost of living in Canada. I'm not sure about Montreal, but since the cost of living in Montreal is substantially lower, it really isn't a valid comparison in the first place.

Yet would this alone, justify the demand that they should automatically be the highest paid in the country? I would think that we should take into account their duties, responsibilities and level of risk...which if we accept the recent stats, means that their work environment is improving year by year.

As far as the Canadian Forces go, I would imagine that their cost of living is substantially lower (room and board are provided, are they not?) Also, do soldiers placed overseas not recieve some sort of tax exemption/bonus? Sorry if I've assumed wrong here, I'm not familiar with the Forces at all.

CF members are charged market rates for rations and quarters....and trust me they arent cheap. These days a single room with a shared bathroom and meals at the mess, easily run between 600-700 dollars a month. Most of married quarters (houses) rent for between 1200-1500, and there are waiting lists on many bases to get housing.

You are partially right that personnel who are deployed, do not pay taxes while deployed. The level of danger pay and/or tax relief is directly proportional to the level of risk in the given theatre of operations. The tax relief is available to anyone who serves in the theatre...CIDA personnel, police officers, etc.

We beaten the dead horse repeatedly. I don't think 40k a year is to much to pay a bus driver and I am far less worried about union pay than the corporate welfare policies of both the Liberals and Tories. "Because the Liberals did it too" is hardly a good reason to excuse Cons doing it.

We beaten the dead horse repeatedly. I don't think 40k a year is to much to pay a bus driver and I am far less worried about union pay than the corporate welfare policies of both the Liberals and Tories. "Because the Liberals did it too" is hardly a good reason to excuse Cons doing it.

Agreed. And note again...TTC operators make far more than 40k a year. If that was the case, I would have supported their arguments.

Let's get back to discussing mayoral candidates....

This is from your source. $20/ hour is $41,600/year. So you support the transit workers pay after all.

Pay and Benefits:
The TTC offers competitive wages and benefits including: Healthcare and Dental plans, Group Life Insurance and a Pension Plan. As per the Local 113 ATU Collective Agreement, the hourly wage rate for this opportunity is $20.06 (rate after training) to $26.58 (rate after 30 months).

This is from your source. $20/ hour is $41,600/year. So you support the transit workers pay after all.

Pay and Benefits:
The TTC offers competitive wages and benefits including: Healthcare and Dental plans, Group Life Insurance and a Pension Plan. As per the Local 113 ATU Collective Agreement, the hourly wage rate for this opportunity is $20.06 (rate after training) to $26.58 (rate after 30 months).

Pay and Benefits:

Making 20.06/hr during a 30 month training/in-doc/probation period is pretty decent. Particularly given the fact that you do not require any training, experience or education to get the job. This is essentially a paid training period. I would note that is about 8k less than what a CF pilot-in -training makes, undergoing 2 years of training on an ejection seat equipped aircraft, at considerable personal risk, and after completing 4 years of university and one years worth of generic military training. And that training pay is more than what any of our military privates make, despite the fact that their jobs require far more training and education. A rate of inflation increase for these guys is more than adequate.

26.58 would yield about 55 286.4/yr (52 weeks x 40 hrs/wk). In my books that's still pretty good. Note for example that year 1 and year 2 Air Canada First Officers, who are fully qualified, who work unionized jobs, have spent tens of thousands of dollars of their own money to get trained and build hours, and have significantly more responsibility, make less than a TTC bus driver (http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/canadian/air_canada.html). And having friends who are airline pilots and flying on the side myself, i know it takes a half to a full decade of working at tiny flying schools and flying bush planes to make the big leagues and fly for a mainline like Air Canada. The TTC has no such strenuous requirement for its applicants. Heck, they aren't even required to train themselves for a C class license. School bus drivers on the other hand have to often, pay their own way, to get trained for a B or E class license which is much more onerous. If they were paying for their own training, and showing up with C class licenses, there is an argument to be made, that they should get more.

Again, I would say a rate of inflation increase is more than adequate, unless the union can show that their productivity has increased. If that's the case, then of course, an increase over and above inflation is certainly warranted. But I have yet to hear the ATU come out and say anything about productivity. A raise would also be warranted, if there was evidence that TTC drivers were being poached by the other transit companies in the region, but that hasn't been demonstrated either.

You would never ask your boss for a raise just because you feel like it. I don't think the unions should be asking for anything over and above inflation without the numbers to back it up. If they publish numbers proving their case, I will gladly write a letter to city hall supporting their raise...for any union that proves its point. If not, I expect Miller to say that you will get an appropriate raise that will maintain your standard of living and is in line with the training, experience, and responsibilities you have, and within the city's means.

Given the significant challenges for our city and what is likely to be a prolonged economic downturn, this mayor and probably the next one will be expected to hold the line on wage increases for civic employees. That doesn't mean a wage freeze, just that increases should be reasonable and affordable for the city. When times are good, maybe we can discuss higher raises. We have to get moving on other priorities, ie..Transit City, creating subsidized day care spots, improving social housing, etc. The more that goes to wages, the less there is for other priorities that the city has.

I think its time in Toronto we get a strong man mayor like the guy in Chicago or something.

So, imo the best choice is someone who is a moderate. He cares about the urban feel of the city but is tough on crime, grit. A man who wishes to build the city and to get rid of its inefficiency.

The thing is, I can't think of someone currently in Toronto who is like that...

It's a nice sentiment but it didn't work for me when I ran for Mayor of Pickering. When your issues threaten entrenched factions, the established players take steps to ensure that their interests are protected.

When I ran for Mayor of Pickering, there was lots of media bellyaching about green issues. John Barber published a piece in the Globe and Mail something along the lines of your post lordmandeep. Only he went on at great length and profiled exactly what sort of person and platform was needed.

John described me and my platform to T even though he'd never heard of me. I ran on the greenest platform in Canadian history with a lot of social common sense included for non-environmental issues - like how to fix the accountability problem we have with elected officials. After reading John's article I e-mailed him thinking he'd be interested in interviewing me or at least covering my campaign.

Instead his first reply was "to keep him in the loop". That was also his last reply as he never responded after that.

Then there was John Duncanson who is an investigative reporter for the Star. He wasn't interested either even though he lives in the area.

I thought that since my campaign embodied everything people said they wanted, that someone would pay attention to what was happening in Pickering - and there was more at stake in Pickering than in all other ridings combined in the GTA. But no, the media actually blacked out my campaign right across the GTA and focused on David Miller's hair cut instead.

That's likely a surprise to you but it was a well orchestrated piece of political chicanery and part of a huge criminal code offence perpetrated in plain sight. The truth is that Pickering is an environmental black hole where environmental crime has been concealed with immaculate precision. The Seaton Land Exchange at the heart of it all even won an award for being so environmentally visionary. The truth is exactly the opposite and it is ugly.

After the election I went to Durham Regional Police about the media tampering with my campaign. I gave them a write up including the specific legislation from the Ontario Elections Act (since the Municipal Elections Act does not protect candidates from election tampering). The police read my material, then invented their own personal meanings for the key words in the legislation and told me that was why they could not investigate.

It was a clear cut case of obstruction of justice. I documented it.

I complained to the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and was told by then Minister John Gerretson that I should complain to the Ontario Press Association. I did.

John also said that the Municipal Elections Act would be amended to prevent what happened to me from happening to anyone else. As far as I know, it has not happened yet.

Later I discovered the Ontario Press Association is an old man in an office with a secretary. The rest of the "Association" is made up of the members of the media I was complaining about.

That's how democracy works in a Municipal setting.

That's why we rarely get great political leaders. Great political leaders are perceived as an unnecessary threat to the status quo.

As much as people say they want change, those people are always in the minority. The vast majority have no opinion and the establishment plays to those people armed with unlimited financial resources.

You wonder why we don't see common sense environmental agendas? The people who control the money have no interest in any sort of "green" initiative unless they can turn into an income stream. Consequently, 99% of what is touted as green has oily roots. The green revolution is far from green.

The other block of people who could generate a great leader are those who won't vote.

When I ran in Pickering, I believe a fairly significant number of the over 5000 people who voted for me were people who don't normally vote or had never voted.

As I went from door to door, all but seven people I spoke with said they'd vote for me.

My campaigners found much the same thing once they'd had time to explain what was truly an awesome platform.

Some people were so mad at the incumbent they literally exploded out of their doors at me launching into a tirade of their own before I could even say a word!

So how did I lose? Big business interests - the establishment - people who have a vested interest in things staying the same out numbered the people who wanted change - the people my campaigners and I could reach.

The media repeated over and over again it was time for a change. But the reality was the media wanted no part of change.

I printed 5000 fliers for that campaign. It worked out in the end to be a very fiscally responsible campaign and I started with zero funding with one week less to campaign in than anyone else due to a death in the family.

I didn't announce my candidacy til late because I thought a councillor was going to run against the incumbent. The incumbent would have been elected unopposed and would have taken that for an endorsement of his past performance and his ideas. That was untenable to me. Even if I lost, he had to be sent a message.

My running did send him a message and a message to the entire Pickering Council. They are now a much greener bunch. Not green enough in my view but better than they would have been. To his credit, he personally thanked me for my efforts.

So you can have an impact even if you don't win.

But the issues I was trying to educate the public about are still outstanding and consequently I'm still fighting the good fight behind the scenes.

But that won't make me Mayor if I run again. The status quo is still in place and the changes people want to see are still a pipe dream. The only thing that will encourage change is public education on the issues. And that can't happen in the traditional media because guess who runs the traditional media?

Very interesting. Welcome.

Also, Durham is very underrepresented here, so I look forward to hearing the perspective from that part of the GTA in other posts. Mississauga, York Region and Brampton are fairly well represented by current or past residents who still have an interest in what happens there.

Back