News   Jul 30, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 672     0 

New look for the Victoria Park subway station (Brown and Storey)

Of course the station should be efficient, but that is expected. What I also want is something more than pure efficiency, they could use some imagination, and that artwork is pathetic really!...What bothers me is that it has to look like this because THAT is how efficiency looks and well, needs to look, and I am sure that 8 out 10 people on this board will agree- You get me? probably not!

p5

I understand what you're saying and I agree for the most part. While it's a big improvement over what's there now, it's all relative. The current design is lousy at best. While more efficient, the new design certainly isn't a creative solution.

The temp. bus bay construction is pretty far along and as soon as it is ready I will be witnessing the demolition of the old horribly designed Vic. Park Station. I don't think any station can be perfect and please everyone, but what they have planned will be an incredible improvement over what they have now.

I was at the Coffee Time shop near Victoria Park and Danforth and they has some free news letter there. It was titled 'Constuction News-Victoria Park Station Bus Terminal Replacement Project'. This one page news letter has some news about the progress of this construction project and a map of how the temp. bus bays will be laid out. It states that the temp. bus bays are ready to use now and demolition of the existing elavated bus terminal between January and March of 2009. A paper transfer will be needed to transfer between trains and buses. The map shows where each bus will park in the temp. bus station. The #24 buses will dock on the north bound Victoria Park lane, their is a bus pull over to get the buses off Vic. Park itself. The #12buses will be in the old parking lot right next to Vic. Park. The #67 bus will be right behind the #12 buses in the parking lot and the #404 small community bus will be behind the #67 buses.

Very glad to see that old inneficient bus station about to be demolished. The slight inconvenience of the temporary transfers is worth it because in a couple of years a much improve bus terminal will be up and running. Now I hope they do something about Warden Station soon-I hope they can build a temp. bus bay like Vic. Park is doing while they construct an island type of platform for the buses at Warden Station.

^^^

I have heard of plans to build a island bus terminal at warden where that small south parking lot is, and then sell the land where the existing terminal is located.

I do hope that they do build an island type platform at Warden but wouldn't an island platform on the north side of St.Clair make tranfers kind of inneficient- they would need a long pedestrian bridge across this street so commuters could transfer between buses and trains. Too bad they couldn't build it where the present innefficient seperate bus platforms are- that would make transfers much easier.

Voltz said the small south parking lot, not the large one north of St. Clair.

My mistake, I thought he meant the parking lot on the north side of St.Clair. I hope they start on this island platform soon though.

Well it is Sunday Feb.15/09 today and I just got back from Victoria Park Station. The old bus bays are completely closed off and we now board our different buses on Victoria Park Rd or in the parking lot! The demolition of the old bus station is ready to begin.

I don't normally arrive at Vic. Park Sta. via the #12 Kingston Rd bus but today I did. I got off the bus at its spot in the parking lot and had to walk north on Vic Park to the subway station. Their were a lot of people waiting at the spot where the #24 Vic Park bus docks. It was a bit of a pain for us #12 riders to work our way through the crowd at the #24 spot to get to the subway station. My only solace was that this is temporary, and their will be soon a really well designed bus station here when the work is done, so with that in mind this small inconvenience is worth it.

Progress Report

Well it is Monday, March 9/09 today and I just got back from Vic. Park Station. Their are 4 large backhoes parked up top near the old elevated bus terminals. It looks as though the backhoes are special demolition type of machines. The demolition of the old station is about to begin! My wife and I are moving to a new place near Warden Station next week but I will keep coming by VP Station to check on the progress of this project. These kind of improvement really make me appreciate the TTC even more.

Friday the 13th of March/09 today and 5 days since they brought in those backhoes they already have the whole upper level of the bus-bays torn down except for one wall, most of the rubble has already been trucked away. The bottom part of the old station is a lot bigger and I am sure it will take much longer to tear down and cart away. It is good to see the work on this TTC project progressing. Inside of the station they have an artist's rendering of what this station is going to look like. I can't wait for this project to be done!

I was by there on Wed and being trying to upload to Youtube the video's I shot
with no luck so far.

2 bays were gone and 2 were haft down.

The walkway on the north side is gone.

A number of opening cut into the side as per the hording on the platform.

About 50 new parking spots are ready for the lot off Albion road once light
stands get install.

The deck will be jack hammer next week.

The only thing to slow down this project is TTC as the contractor is one of the top one's in Canada.

Back