News   Jul 26, 2024
 40     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 797     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 694     0 

New look for Eiffel Tower???

I saw the rendering and immediately thought of the top of the tower in the Neverending Story:

Image147.jpg

I'd rather take Falkor to the top than a plain old elevator.

As long as it's temporary! I like this architecturally playful move. Some visitors may be rudely surprised, but it might make someone's trip more exclusive and memorable.

Yeah, a reminder that pimping out landmarks to corporate advertising is neither a Toronto phenomenon, nor all that recent.

When the Eiffel tower originally went up, those same citizens of Paris hated it anyway. Most thought it ruined the skyline and didn't blend with their existing architecture.

People love to complain. Just look at these forums for a good example of that.

This new addition might grow on people just like the Eiffel tower did to begin with.

Building a whole new structure and modifying an existing one are two different things.

to me this is like taking the mona lisa and saying "let's a put a little hat on her"

just stupid.

It's a Hoax!

In design, the temporary is so contemporary
Some architects are playing up the idea of impermanence, perhaps underscoring the changeability of our times and town.

By Christopher Hawthorne, Times Architecture Critic

SOME curious news, with images to match, began bouncing around the Internet last month: A Paris firm called Serero Architects had been chosen to design a temporary viewing platform for the Eiffel Tower, to mark the landmark's 120th birthday next year. Online, a few commentators complained that the mushroom-shaped platform would ruin the tower's tapered profile. Others pointed out that the original structure was never meant to be permanent anyway.

That back-and-forth soon came to a quick halt: Word came from Eiffel Tower officials announced that they'd be building no such addition, temporary or otherwise. It was less a hoax than a Web-fueled misunderstanding. Serero Architects, it turned out, had decided on its own to produce the design for a platform; after the firm posted images on its website, bloggers and news outlets began re-posting them, suggesting that the project was actually in the works. It was a story about temporary architecture that was itself temporary, written in the HTML version of invisible ink.

http://www.calendarlive.com/galleriesandmuseums/cl-ca-temp13apr13,0,55405.story?track=rss

Louroz

How about a swap with Blackpool?

It would probably be more successful there than in Las Vegas, where tourists would be disappointed that their "authentic" Parisian experience has been disrupted.

On this note, I never knew that the Vegas knockoff was 164.4 metres tall. That's impressive, since I thought it was shorter and ornamental only, but then I underestimated Vegas. Actually, it was supposed to be built to the same height, but the proximity to the airport supposedly forced the developer to downsize the plans.

Back