News   May 10, 2024
 3.1K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.4K     0 

New look for Eiffel Tower???

FutureMayor

Member Bio
Reaction score
http://www.smh.com.au/news/news/monumental-change-for-paris/2008/03/24/1206207056438.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/mar/24/france.design

eiffel460.jpg

rgw_eiffel_narrowweb__300x433,4.jpg

Are they kidding?

Louroz

France: A New Shape for the Eiffel Tower
By MIKE NIZZA
Published: March 25, 2008
The Eiffel Tower has always had its critics. As it greeted the world in the 19th century, phrases like “useless and monstrous,” “arrogant ironmongery,” “black factory chimney” and “disgraceful skeleton” poured forth, though none stopped it from becoming one of the most recognizable and beloved structures in the world. In 2006, 6.7 million people visited, a record.
Now the tower seems ready for another round of discord. According to The Guardian, the Société Nouvelle d’Exploitation de la Tour Eiffel, the company that manages the landmark, has decided to restructure the viewing platform temporarily as part of preparations for the tower’s 120th anniversary next year. Serero Architects, a Paris firm, will do the redesign, left, the report said, and in the process change the tower’s unmistakable outline.
The observation deck will be bolted 905 feet above ground “without requiring any modification of the existing structure,” according to the architects. Floor space will be doubled, easing crowd problems and relieving long waits. But critics are already fretting that the crowds will dissipate along with the awe-extinguishing addition. The temporary nature of the deck expansion means that it will not need to stand the test of time. It also means that it will not have much time to win over critics, a number of whom are starting to come into view.

--

Oh thank god it's temporary

Its Ugly

I'm aware its going to be a temporary platform, yet its still ugly and I would be outraged if I were a citizen of Paris.

Why mess with an icon? 120 years is no significant milestone, so why alter its look now?.

Louroz

This is an atrocity.

A spokesman for SETE explained in a statement that the plan to restructure the top of the tower was intended to increase the quality of access. Average waiting times for the tower's lifts now run at more than an hour during peak periods.

They are improving access to an attraction by decreasing its quality. The whole idea of the Eiffel Tower is that it's all iron, all engineering, zero architecture (arguably), an engineering breakthrough and a triumph of science in its time.

I'm surprised this is being seriously considered. Even forgetting all principles, I think it looks goofy.

I'm aware its going to be a temporary platform, yet its still ugly and I would be outraged if I were a citizen of Paris.

Why mess with an icon? 120 years is no significant milestone, so why alter its look now?.

Louroz

When the Eiffel tower originally went up, those same citizens of Paris hated it anyway. Most thought it ruined the skyline and didn't blend with their existing architecture.

People love to complain. Just look at these forums for a good example of that.

This new addition might grow on people just like the Eiffel tower did to begin with.

When the Eiffel tower originally went up, those same citizens of Paris hated it anyway. Most thought it ruined the skyline and didn't blend with their existing architecture.

People love to complain. Just look at these forums for a good example of that.

This new addition might grow on people just like the Eiffel tower did to begin with.

Let's re-clad the CN Tower with fuschia corrugated aluminum siding!

Back