News   Jun 03, 2024
 676     0 
News   Jun 03, 2024
 529     1 
News   Jun 03, 2024
 1.5K     1 

New GO Transit Locomotives

Every time I'm in Tokyo, I pass through Shinjuku station numerous times, and it has become my idea of a train station. 3.3 million people pass through it a day, and its a city within a station. Then I look at Union, with a 100k passengers a day, and it struggles to handle passengers with the few trains that seem to arrive each day??? Ok, it's not a fair comparison for a whole range of reasons, but it just seems so sad...

^I blame this on the layout of the GO concourse which is among the most horrendous I've ever seen. To get there from the Great Hall, you have to go down some stairs, squeeze by a liquor store through 3 dingy fire doors, down another few steps, make an unmarked right turn and end up in some weirdo MC Escher drawing of staircases going every which way.

New GO engine sputters to a halt
By IAN ROBERTSON, SUN MEDIA

It was the brand new $5-million engine that couldn't -- GO that is.

Just 41 days after GO Transit's first of 27 stronger, faster, sleeker MP40 locomotives was introduced, one slowed, then ground to a halt yesterday on a Lakeshore East run.

Passenger Brent Divell said his train came upon the breakdown at 3:13 p.m., "right in the middle of the track," where its riders "waited an hour for us to come along."

While overhearing the crew talking on radios, Divell said the engineer on his train pushed the stalled one onto a siding east of White's Rd., which took about 45 minutes.

The handicapped auto mechanic said two freights on the main tracks were delayed, "but a Via train got through."

After the shunting, Divell's train was uncoupled, but had to wait for another eastbound GO to pass before it got underway to the Pickering station, carrying passengers from the broken-down one.

"It was rush-hour," he said. "We had a full load."

There were no hints of what the new engine's trouble may have been, Divell said.

"It's just one of those things," he said. "They're brand new, like a new car, which can blow up.

The delay, "doesn't bother me," Divell chuckled. "You get there when you get there."

Divell said GO apologized.

At 4:20 p.m., GO spokesman Stephanie Sorensen said she was not fully briefed on the "delay," but confirmed "a train stopped" and that "affected other trains."