News   Jul 30, 2024
 566     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.3K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 599     0 

National Geographic: St. Lawrence Market the world's best

westerns do eat veal, right? I don't see the different between that and a puppy sandwich.
by the way, sandwich? I don't eat sandwiches at all just so you know. I'd prefer dog meat cooked in a pot with hot sauce, particularly in the winter. Traditional wisdom says it keeps your body warm.

Does a calf respond to its name, run to great you at the door when you come home, risk its life to save you, perform vital tasks in society or bring you your slippers? Cats and Dogs have been revered throughout history and in many societies (not just western ones) because they have been vital and integral to those societies. They have no place in your wok!! That's my 'traditional wisdom'.

^^Let's recap. The National Geographic, presumably not in the pocket of Toronto Tourism, and looking for something quick and easy to post online to get some web traffic, makes an innocuous list about "best markets in the world", akin to something you would see on Yahoo News. Jonny5, perhaps of Toronto, posts this list and makes the comment that he takes it with a "grain of salt". A series of commenters express surprise at it being #1, or that the ranking is a "bit of a stretch", and then one commenter says he agrees that it is the best based on his own experience. kkgg7, bearing the weight of over a billion people and thousands of years of history, decides that this innocuous list, which includes only one Asian market at #6, is a disgrace to his people, his country and his continent, and rails against Torontonians declaring that they are the best, even though it was National Geographic who said so, and the large majority of commenters on this forum expressed some skepticism with the ranking. While others have attempted to make this thread a discussion of some good markets around the world, we still don't know where any good markets are in Asia, other than the Singapore market at #6, because kkgg7 refuses to name any.

I rarely see Torontonians, either on this forum or elsewhere, talking about anything here being the best in the world. Most of kkgg7's comments are directed at people who are seeking to preserve some of what we have in the face of rapid development, not because they think it is "the best in the world", but simply because they like it here. kkgg7 has clearly demonstrated that he does not like it here, and wishes that he were in Shanghai, and if he could live more cheaply, with a slower pace of life, and get a Canadian passport, while living in Shanghai, he would do so.

All that said, I very much enjoyed the dog hot pot comment.

Does a calf respond to its name, run to great you at the door when you come home, risk its life to save you, perform vital tasks in society or bring you your slippers? Cats and Dogs have been revered throughout history and in many societies (not just western ones) because they have been vital and integral to those societies. They have no place in your wok!! That's my 'traditional wisdom'.

But it's ok to slaughter lamb, baby cow, and rabbit? Talk about a flat out hypocrite.

Because there is no "best market" in the world! Best for what and for whom? I believe the vast majority of the Chinese population, for example, will think any of their street corner markets selling live fish, crabs and bak choy beats St Lawrance Market by a landslide. I can't even find tofu or leek in St Lawrence market, how can that be considered good for me?
Choosing the best market in the world is like selecting the prettiest woman in the world. The result is always biased. People differ in taste and preference.

It really kills you when anybody says anything good about Toronto, eh? lol Well, if you really hate it so much, you can move to either Montreal or Vancouver and I'm sure you will find many people who share your views. Just think of the great parties you have, spending hours and hours complaining about how much Toronto sucks. I bet that would be orgasmic for you.

Exactly. I find it funny that kkgg is slipping into kneejerk anti-Western moral relativism which I thought was the domain of far-left students in cultural studies departments.

And again--let's be fair here. If kkgg7 has the right to assert his cultural bias, shouldn't anyone else from any of Toronto's other diverse cultures have a similar right to do so?

So, in that light--again. Is honour killing "barbaric", or is that simply the bigoted hubris of Western bias talking?

Try caring for a calf with as much affection as you raise your dog. You'd be surprised. Even black vultures can be domesticated into wonderful social loving pets.

I believe the issue here is that in most places outside of Asia, cats and dogs have been domesticated to the point where they are almost exclusively pets, and to most people part of the family. I don't think anybody in here is going to convince someone to put aside hundreds of years of cultural norms.

Not true. Outside East Asia, countries where dog eating is popular includes: India, Germany, Switzerland, Belgium, Mexico etc. It is not considered a taboo in most parts of Europe.
The cultural norms you mentioned in only white culture in North America. And since Canada is supposed to embraced diversity, it should respect other people's dietary habits as well.

I personally ate dog meat twice in my life and didn't find it particularly tasty. however, just because some people consider it inappropriate doesn't mean others shouldn't eat it.

Try caring for a calf with as much affection as you raise your dog. You'd be surprised. Even black vultures can be domesticated into wonderful social loving pets.

Even pigs can develop some sort of emotional attachment to their owners if treated well as pets.

Maybe SLM is the best in the world. It certainly is a vibrant market with great food and quite rich in history. The new North Market is just going to highlight its greatness among the world's urban markets. It's closely associated with the development of the Toronto during the British regime. Toronto was established in 1793, and a market has been located on the site since the early 1800s. Town administration also happened here until Toronto's third city hall was opened in 1899, which we now call Old City Hall. I don't make a distinction between York and Toronto save for legal "city" status. It was the same place just larger and formally incorporated in 1834 as a city; we should always celebrate 1793 as the birth year of Toronto.

St Lawrence Market being number 1 on a seemingly arbitrary list = damn silly moral relativism and soppy dogs-as-family hyperbole? I eat food too, yo.

I'm nowhere near well-travelled enough to have seen a vast number of markets but I do know that St Lawrence is good enough for me. I really don't care if some market 6000 km away is "better" unless they can FAX me their "superior"market fare.

I believe the issue here is that in most places outside of Asia, cats and dogs have been domesticated to the point where they are almost exclusively pets, and to most people part of the family. I don't think anybody in here is going to convince someone to put aside hundreds of years of cultural norms.
Personally, I would hope if someone were to immigrate here, there would be at least be some attempt to accept the fact that you're not going to be chopping off a chicken head on a Front St. sidewalk. SLM is not in Chinatown and is thus not predominately marketed to asians.

It doesn't matter. The issue with Tewder and other posters is trying to portray that killing a cow or rabbit or any other animal other then a dog or cat is ok in their "all mighty god like" world. I personally have never ate dog and probably never will. However, i don't look down at others who do eat it and pretend that I'm superior to them. The Tewders and Admas of the world are the blinded hypocrites. Not the kkgs. Though, kkg is definitely suffering from a huge culture shock.

And since Canada is supposed to embraced diversity, it should respect other people's dietary habits as well.

Don't equate embracing diversity with engaging in dietary habits that contravenes Canadian law. And respect is a two way street - something you have demonstrated preciously little of from what you've said on the forum.

AoD

I ate dog meat when I was in China and I don't see anything wrong with it. Too stringy for me but I have no moral issue with it. Meat is meat and if you have no problem with the inhumane way that chickens are raised and slaughtered then you probably shouldn't mind dogs raised for meat purposes.

I should probably not mention any of this to my dog walking customers though...

Back