News   Jul 15, 2024
 204     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 361     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.9K     1 

Museum Station

Speaking of Museum station.... all hording on the platform is gone as of this morning. It looks like all the columns are done, but are still wrapped up.

Will remain wrap up until the ceiling is done.

Will have a look Tuesday to see what's up.

The floors still have to be done.

i'm wondering what kind of floor they are going to install. will it be something new or will it just be a repolishing of the old one?

an interesting article post on SSC about NYC's floors.

Sticky subject in NYC subway: Some stations gummier than others
31 January 2008

NEW YORK (AP) - Some subway stations' concrete floors gum up efforts to keep them clean, transit officials are acknowledging as they consider standards for future floors.

While subway workers dutifully scrub discarded chewing gum off areas with porcelain or granite tiles, when it comes to concrete floors, "essentially, we leave it down," NYC Transit President Howard Roberts Jr. said Wednesday.

It's tougher to uproot gum from concrete than tile, agency spokesman Paul Fleuranges explained.

NYC Transit is spending six months studying what material to use in future in the subway system's 277 underground stations. Concrete is far cheaper to install -- $421,000 for a standard station, as against $1.7 million for granite tiles, officials said. But the agency also will compare cleaning and maintenance costs.

Either way, rider advocates want the gum conundrum resolved.

"It's not attractive, and you know where it came from ... from someone's mouth," said William Henderson, executive director of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority's Permanent Citizens Advisory Committee. The MTA is NYC Transit's parent agency.

Relative to my earlier "1988 rather than 2008" comment: I'm wondering what the reception might have been had the 80s Yonge line renovations followed a Museum Station pattern, i.e. with deliberate Postmodern-era architectural intent, and perhaps with Jack Diamond types involved. *Perhaps* it would have been enough to make us forgive the loss of the 1954ness. (Remember: I'm speaking in terms of a 20-years-ago context. Keep today's biases out of it.)

Are they going to be re-cladding the tiled boxes on the platform? IF not then this is a going to look ridiculous.

p5

Other than taking down the hording and putting up ad boards, I see very little done since my last visited a week ago.

The end walls are still the same as well the walls at the stairs.

The last 2 panels on the wall have been installed.

Holes in the ceiling have been patch where the electrical fixture were before been relocated. Until the electrical work is finish, the ceiling will not be install. Could be a delay with the ceiling fabrication.

Looks like it's going to be March or even May before see this project finish.

Sounds like a TTC project now and we know how those weeks turn out to be months or years for TTC projects.

From the looks of things, the bottoms of the columns were expose as it looked like a sealer had been added to the column base.

The floor needs a real cleaning and that will not happen until the last few days of the project.

MetroMan- I meant the service core box like structures which sit upon the platform- they sometime contain stairwells and or escalators. That said, I saw yesterday that they have applied sheets of concrete to them, so I am assuming that they will indeed be re-clad to match the rest of the station remodel..

There's not much to photograph right now. The platform is looking cleaner now that all the walls have been done and the hoarding removed. The pillars are all still covered though.

There's not much to photograph right now. The platform is looking cleaner now that all the walls have been done and the hoarding removed. The pillars are all still covered though.

I have photo's from Friday, but it a wasted of space and not much more than I have posted.

I have a shot from either end showing no Hording in the middle and the new ad's boards.

Got to wait until some serious work has started on the ceiling.

Since this is turning out to be TTC control area, it will be a few months before new photo's go up.

Just dream and think what this will look like when it completed.

“Control area�

Since this is turning out to be TTC control area, it will be a few months before new photo's go up.

I don’t have a clue what that means. Noncommercial photography is permitted. You don’t have to wait for anything, let alone permission.

I don’t have a clue what that means. Noncommercial photography is permitted. You don’t have to wait for anything, let alone permission.

I mean that TTC is most likely doing the electrical work and based on TTC track record, it will take twice to 3 times longer than it should.

Are they going to be re-cladding the tiled boxes on the platform?

Only the north end is getting a make over with the south remaining as is.

The very end wall at the south end is getting the new wall panel.

Otherwise, nothing to shoot or post.

Museum Station on Family Day. Seeing the station for the first time, I wasn't very impressed with the color selection for the wall panels (this colour wasn't in the original design). It certainly will be an interesting station to see when finished (and will probably be the most photographed... and vandalized?), but it will not be my favourite subway station.

2276697464_1bf92fbdfc_b.jpg

2276697772_ef67fdf3e2_b.jpg

2276698316_eb25c19c2c_b.jpg

2276699824_12987c2e01_b.jpg

2276700124_7b582e5430_b.jpg

2276701054_3a326d091a_b.jpg

2275906685_8e6f310ec3_b.jpg

Video: Southbound train at Museum station

Back